getting into reamping - suggest me a DI box

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

I'm going to order a lot of stuff next week, including a new interface, but also the reamper-starters-kit so to speak :D

well, aside from the obvious sm57 i was thinking of the radial ProRMP as the reamper (being in europe, i'm not quite sure where to get stuff like the little labs redeye :( there's no european dealer afaik), but i'm still wondering about the DI.
basically, what i already have is the studio projects VTB1 which has a Hi-Z input, and of course there are also the Hi-Z ins of my new interface (most likely fireface400, otherwise profire610), but i was thinking about ordering a dedicated DI box and do some shootouts with those units.

so, any suggestions on which DI to get?
i'd like to rule out the countryman DI which - while apparently being REALLY good - is just out of my pricerange, considering the amount of $$ the fireface alone will put me back ^^
other than that, i'm open for all suggestions, as long as thomann carries it :D
the idea is to get a DI box, do a shootout with all the other devices, and return the DI if it's not performing well.

i'm mainly using passive PUs btw.

as for the pre/interface instrument ins, afaik the ff400 has an impedance of 470kOhm, whereas the vtb-1 Hi-Z in has actually an impedance of 1 MegaOhm.

i'm currently using the vtb-1 input for my DI tracks, and so far it seems to perform just fine, but then again i don't have any other device to compare it to.