Getting near-zero latency with many inputs...?

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
Basically my situation is that I want to record using 8 or 9 inputs simultaneously, all at really low latency with something along the lines of a Profire 2626 (~3 Instrument inputs, maybe 5 for drum mikes and 1 for a vocal mic). How feasible is this with good hardware? How about with medium-range hardware? It'd be best to be able to do this on a laptop if possible. I've had troubles with multiple inputs with my Saffire at low latencies even though my PC is fairly high-end.

usually the hardware has nothing to do with the latency
its the software that causes the latency problem
this is because of direct monitoring solutions

direct monitoring takes the audio coming, processes it in whatever way it needs to, and then subsequently feeds it back out

this takes processing power, and time, hence causing latency

when audio is in the analog state (a / d before the D), there is no latency other than waiting the 700 miles per hour for the sound to travel from the source to the microphone

it is said that audio traveling through a cable travels at the speed of light.

Well, lower latency increases the CPU load since it has to process the signal faster, right? I guess I was asking more of how powerful current-day processors are in regards to how many signals it can process (maybe each with just the X30 and LeCab or something) at a low latency (say, 5ms or so) before I hear audio stuttering.