Getting new shred pickups, DiMarzio?

JMarz

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota, US
www.facebook.com
Considering getting new shred/metal pickups mostly for C Standard tuning for my Ibanez RG3EXFM1 to replace these shitty V7/V8's, I've been looking at alot of DiMarzio and unfortunately couldn't find very many sound clips for them.. I'm considering the X2N in the Bridge and an Evo I in the neck. I heard Evo's really help with note clarity (shredder's dream :D.) What do you guys think? Also, anybody who has any of the pickups got any comparison sound clips? Thanks!

Sound clip of my current tone w/ Toneport UX2, Ibanez RG3EXFM1, and a bit of Waves EQ; http://www.esnips.com/doc/ad30cc21-c90a-42b1-856a-4312fc2a21be/Absolute-new-Rhythm-Tone

Ahh thanks ApolloSpeed, I would get Blackouts, or and EMG 81, but I don't really feel like setting my guitar up for that, and I'm kind of a passive tone whore =p how about a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge, then? It may not be a tight, tight pickup, but that's what compressors are for. Plus, it's really warm sounding.

I installed a D Sonic and hated it. Too mushy for my tastes I prefer Seymours over DMs. JB is an awesome pup.

I have a D sonic in a MusicMan jp6...

if you want a super tight and clear pickup under lots of gain this is your pickup. Not a warm pickup at all

With the bar towards the neck it is super clear with lots of note separation..

My technique is a little on the sloppy side and this pickup will point that out every time!

through my dual recto the tone is "nuts on" Petrucci..

this pickup sounds like shit through my Orange rockerverb.... thin and twangy...

I think this pickup was tailored for a huge sounding low mid amp like a mesa boogie...

I have a Super Distortion on the bridge of my Ibanez SZ. I LOVE it. It's got a HUGE, agressive sound. It's a warmer/fatter pickup, but it definitely pumps a lot more clarity than other comparable pickups. If you've every played a Tone Zone (which I also like), think of the SD as a more agressive, a bit tighter, and much hotter, just all-around more suited for metal version of the TZ.

As far as neck, the PAF Pro is one of my favorite all around pickups. It's pretty balanced and pumps TONS of clarity and note definition, but my only complaint about that one an the reason why one hasn't gone in the neck of my Ibanez is that it is a bit underpowered compared to the Super Distortion.

The tightest pickups ive ever tried are Matsumoku MMK45, its too bad that its hard as f*ck too find those(Where used in Matsumoku's guitars in the 80's).
They arent about 11k in output I think, and manages anything from blues(coiltapped) to death.

I just tried to record something to show you, but im too shaky to record anything today(I have problems with my bloodpressure. :( )

And on that elf, the best bet is elf up the ass with an SM57. Good sound dampening in the poo hole. And the SM-57 is slightly easier to get in/out than a 421 or whatever else. Nice slim taper. Well, that's what I read anyway, in a book, written by a guy who writes books.

Think I'm gonna look into a Super Distortion (DiMarzio), getting alot of rants and raves about it!

Huge coincidence!
I just found out today that MMK45 basically is a DiMarzio SDist with a bit lower output. :loco: