Getting new shred pickups, DiMarzio?

evo = awesome. really hot pickup. picks up the dust falling on the string. sustain for days, and a lot of harmonic overtones.

steves special = my fav pickup. scooped mids cleans it up a lot and it is the cleanest distortion i have ever heard. very bright and open. unmushy whereas evo is more on mushy side.

virtual hot paf = really awesome for rock and shred. not really much so for metal. it sounds very twangy and brittle going through high gain amps. better in like "vintage modes" of amps. good for like van halen type stuff. very noisy also. i compare it to a SD 59

paf pro = a fatter, quieter, higher output version of the virtual hot paf.

d sonic = a direct cross between evo and steves special. evo has boosted mids SS has cut mids. d sonic is right in there between them. i personally don't like.

tone zone = too warm not enough like cut and sizzle. need to crank treble and presence on most amps to get some balls. good clean tone and sweet leads.

these are my personal reviews from playing experience. the paf pro, evo, ss, and vh paf are all pickups i currently have in my guitars in the bridge but i have also played d sonic and tone zone through my own gear amongst all the dimrazio stuff.

dimarzio > SD for me.

evo = awesome. really hot pickup. picks up the dust falling on the string. sustain for days, and a lot of harmonic overtones.

steves special = my fav pickup. scooped mids cleans it up a lot and it is the cleanest distortion i have ever heard. very bright and open. unmushy whereas evo is more on mushy side.

virtual hot paf = really awesome for rock and shred. not really much so for metal. it sounds very twangy and brittle going through high gain amps. better in like "vintage modes" of amps. good for like van halen type stuff. very noisy also. i compare it to a SD 59

paf pro = a fatter, quieter, higher output version of the virtual hot paf.

d sonic = a direct cross between evo and steves special. evo has boosted mids SS has cut mids. d sonic is right in there between them. i personally don't like.

tone zone = too warm not enough like cut and sizzle. need to crank treble and presence on most amps to get some balls. good clean tone and sweet leads.

these are my personal reviews from playing experience. the paf pro, evo, ss, and vh paf are all pickups i currently have in my guitars in the bridge but i have also played d sonic and tone zone through my own gear amongst all the dimrazio stuff.

dimarzio > SD for me.

Great review man, it's settled then, I was just at GC trying a JEM just for the Evo in the bridge, made sure it was an Evo I, too.. Was an older JEM. I'll get an Evo for the neck, and perhaps a super distortion for the bridge, unless I just get two Evo's for both!

I love the duncan custom, just seems to sound 'right', many times pickups depend on the guitar/rig as to their favorability, but the custom just seems to fit for me.