Getting Started With Producing Music?

CommandoAir

New Metal Member
Nov 1, 2015
So I have recorded a few little tracks and stuff with my basic setup, but I want to know what kind of gear I would need to make some decent quality music and stuff. I've also got a few other questions.

What does an audio interface do? I know that it allows you to plug your instruments/mics in to record, but is that it? I can already do that with my 1/4" to USB rocksmith cable, what advantages would an interface give me?

What other kind of gear would I need?
Atm, I use:
-FL studio
-My 1/4" to USB cable to connect my guitar to the computer, select the cable on one of the tracks in the mixer, add Guitar Rig 5 and whatever other effects and stuff I need (Micing and recording a cab isn't an option atm, but I would still like to know about this)
-Pitch shifter for recording bass since I don't have a bass yet
-EZDrummer for drums

I'm only interested in recording drums, guitar and bass for now.

Any hints and suggestions?
If you want one of my demos just ask and I'll link one here.

You alreary have everything to create "decent quality music and stuff"...So...To make it sound better, learn to mix that music, and google really can help with that. I don't know anything about FL Studio, is it good or not, but if it isn't...Try Reaper.

an interface allows you to have more control over what is going in your daw, and also most likely has better quality convertors than your rocksmith cable. either buy a bass or buy "zombass" there is no substitute for a real bass recording. almost everything you need is on this site. there are threads all over the place where people talk about what they use and also occasionally professional mixers i.e. andy sneap or steven slate post on here sharing their techniques. ermz book is the place to start for the fundamentals. google systematic mixing guide.