Getting such tight performances out of guitarists/bassists

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
I'm wondering how Joey deals with musicians that maybe aren't very tight players but he manages to get super tight performances out of them. Does he do a ton of editing? I remember reading the Crimson Armada album was a nightmare during tracking because the guitarists couldn't play their shit.

Just looking for some insight on his tracking process/tricks.

You have to run a nazi regime when it comes to tightness ..

if its not next to perfect then they do it again ..

if they cant do it like tommy stated ... do it yourself

alternatively if they are reluctant to do so .. leave a section on loop for half hour to an hour .. grab lunch, come back and if its still not tight make the guitarist know its not tight.

Then find another person who is capable to do it.. same goes for bass

the amount of times i have given the "so you actually believe you are good enough to track" speech is rediculous ... but there is no other way to teach bands that than tough love and brutal honesty..

Do we not talk about slowing down the tempo a few bpms? If the track is warped.... then speed it back up. Recording 10bpms slower doesnt usually take away too much sound quality and it will really help save time. hmm Ill show you.

this intro is really difficult to play, bc of fret noise and intonation issues. I slowed it down about 15bpm to get a clean take. I can play it normal speed. But to have that "joey perfection sound" this could be helpful?

http://soundcloud.com/harrisonvokills/the-arcane-savior

if its somewhat of a breakdown youll probably need to slip edit as well.

I just pocket everything. Drums, bass, guitars all right to the grid. I dont like to think of vocals as "pocketing/editing" though. You can't just go slicing every consonant up or stretching it. It never sounds right. Vocals require special attention, but the drum/bass/guitars just start slicing :)