Getting the lowest latency possible for tracking guitar

roncarlston

New Metal Member
Dec 31, 2012
If i buy a i7 CPU, lower the buffer settings as low as i can in the program, and also lower the buffer size to less than 512 will that help?

I want it as close to zero as possible. whats the best way to achieve this?

At home I use an i5 computer with 8 GB RAM and my Fast Track Pro and if I set the FTP to lowest (128, I think), I still get skips and crackles/pops in my audio.

One way to reduce latency further is to increase the sample rate. The higher the sample rate is the less latency you'll have, might sound backwards but it's true, so try 88.2khz or even 96khz when tracking. You'll want to convert that down to whatever the sample rate you're mixing in when you're done tracking. Also use the drivers for your interface, asio4all is kinda unreliable, just reduce the buffer size as much as you can without getting pops.

One way to reduce latency further is to increase the sample rate. The higher the sample rate is the less latency you'll have, might sound backwards but it's true, so try 88.2khz or even 96khz when tracking. You'll want to convert that down to whatever the sample rate you're mixing in when you're done tracking. Also use the drivers for your interface, asio4all is kinda unreliable, just reduce the buffer size as much as you can without getting pops.

Sorry for the simple question but can you give me an example of how you're converting these to a lower sample rate within your daw?

For example would i (in the saffire mixcontrol panel) set the sample rate to 96khz on my interface, track the guitar, then right click the audiofile in cubase and convert it from one of the options in the drop down list?

I have a shitty toneport and with asio all I can achieve 2.5m. 2.5 it´s already killer you dont notice nothing.

For example would i (in the saffire mixcontrol panel) set the sample rate to 96khz on my interface, track the guitar, then right click the audiofile in cubase and convert it from one of the options in the drop down list?

Yes, that's the idea, I'm not sure what the best way of converting sample rate in Cubase is though.

the relation between the sample rate and the latency is not strange ... for the same buffer size, the latency at 96KHz is the half than at 48KHz ... but require twice more CPU power.

Using an old guitar rig mobile IO, i can achieve 64 samples at 96KHz ... so barely no latency at all

the relation between the sample rate and the latency is not strange ... for the same buffer size, the latency at 96KHz is the half than at 48KHz ... but require twice more CPU power.

Using an old guitar rig mobile IO, i can achieve 64 samples at 96KHz ... so barely no latency at all

POWERFUL :headbang:

I honestly can't see you needing to mess with converting samplerates to get low-enough latency. I've got an i5 2500k (sandy bridge) that your i7 (assuming ivy bridge) could kick the crap out of, and I can record at like 64 (can't remember exactly off the top of my head) without clicks and pops. Also IIRC, 256@44.1 is all I've ever needed to feel near-zero latency.

Just turn your buffer as low as it will go. If it crackles and pops, turn it up a notch. Repeat.

I honestly can't see you needing to mess with converting samplerates to get low-enough latency. I've got an i5 2500k (sandy bridge) that your i7 (assuming ivy bridge) could kick the crap out of, and I can record at like 64 (can't remember exactly off the top of my head) without clicks and pops. Also IIRC, 256@44.1 is all I've ever needed to feel near-zero latency.

Just turn your buffer as low as it will go. If it crackles and pops, turn it up a notch. Repeat.

256? Are you crazy? I don't even like tracking at 64... feels too slow... 32 is mandatory for me.