General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
thumb_SRP030.jpg

Label: http://planeta.terra.com.br/arte/soundriot/main.htm
Home Page: http://www.ghostmachinery.com/

This is going to be my shortest review to date. Why? Well, there just isn’t much to say about GHOST MACHINERY. Usually, when writing a review, there’s an opportunity to delve deep into one’s vocabulary, and dust off those adjectives that never seem to make their way into everyday conversation. There’s a chance to write flowery passages, praising a band’s greatness, or to show off your razor sharp wit, ripping a band to shreds. However, neither would be appropriate with Finland’s GHOST MACHINERY. After having spun their debut, Haunting Remains, on three occasions, I can honestly say I’m completely indifferent to it.

Founded late in 2002 by singer, songwriter and lead guitar player Pete Ahonen, GHOST MACHINERY was born when Pete’s previous band, BURNING POINT, didn’t care for a couple of songs he had written. Rather than cast these songs aside, Pete decided to call a few friends and form GHOST MACHINERY.

GHOST MACHINERY’s blend of paint-by-numbers Power Metal yields little to get excited about. They occasionally work in Neo-Classical touches, but with no firm commitment to it. Their songs are well constructed, which suggests a certain maturity in the songwriting process. And while there aren’t any tracks on Haunting Remains that are especially weak, there aren’t any that are especially strong. There’s just nothing here that stands out. From Pete’s voice, to his guitar playing, to the melodies, there’s just nothing to latch onto and say, “Yeah, that’s Ghost Machinery”. They sound like everyone in Power Metal, without sounding like anyone specifically. The band is just completely devoid of personality.

So, to whom would I recommend GHOST MACHINERY? I suppose I’d recommended them to those people who have an 800 CD rack in their living room and only own 799 CDs. If it’s really pissing you off that you’re one CD short of filling the rack, and you have no idea what else to buy, you could do worse than Haunting Remains.

Rating: 6/10
Reviewer: General Zod

General Zod said:
thumb_SRP030.jpg

Label: http://planeta.terra.com.br/arte/soundriot/main.htm
Home Page: http://www.ghostmachinery.com/

This is going to be my shortest review to date. Why? Well, there just isn’t much to say about GHOST MACHINERY. Usually, when writing a review, there’s an opportunity to delve deep into one’s vocabulary, and dust off those adjectives that never seem to make their way into everyday conversation. There’s a chance to write flowery passages, praising a band’s greatness, or to show off your razor sharp wit, ripping a band to shreds. However, neither would be appropriate with Finland’s GHOST MACHINERY. After having spun their debut, Haunting Remains, on three occasions, I can honestly say I’m completely indifferent to it.

Founded late in 2002 by singer, songwriter and lead guitar player Pete Ahonen, GHOST MACHINERY was born when Pete’s previous band, BURNING POINT, didn’t care for a couple of songs he had written. Rather than cast these songs aside, Pete decided to call a few friends and form GHOST MACHINERY.

GHOST MACHINERY’s blend of paint-by-numbers Power Metal yields little to get excited about. They occasionally work in Neo-Classical touches, but with no firm commitment to it. Their songs are well constructed, which suggests a certain maturity in the songwriting process. And while there aren’t any tracks on Haunting Remains that are especially weak, there aren’t any that are especially strong. There’s just nothing here that stands out. From Pete’s voice, to his guitar playing, to the melodies, there’s just nothing to latch onto and say, “Yeah, that’s Ghost Machinery”. They sound like everyone in Power Metal, without sounding like anyone specifically. The band is just completely devoid of personality.

So, to whom would I recommend GHOST MACHINERY? I suppose I’d recommended them to those people who have an 800 CD rack in their living room and only own 799 CDs. If it’s really pissing you off that you’re one CD short of filling the rack, and you have no idea what else to buy, you could do worse than Haunting Remains.

Rating: 6/10
Reviewer: General Zod

:tickled: Yeah, that's just about how I felt about it too. This label has just too many bands with this problem, see Metal Ostentation review.... They need one of us as their A&R. :loco:

Thanks for reviewing it though, buy us a little time before they send us some more garbage.

Between Sound Riot and Black Lotus (with the exception of a handful), I don't know which annoys me more.

Papa Josh said:
:tickled: Yeah, that's just about how I felt about it too. This label has just too many bands with this problem, see Metal Ostentation review.... They need one of us as their A&R. :loco:
If you have a contact over there, let them know I'd be happy to take over their A&R department for 2/3s of my current salary and an expense account.

Zod