[GIG] 8.-10.6.2007 Download Festival, Donington Park (UK)

Doobiedoo

Oct 30, 2006
Worcester, England
So Turisas have been confirmed for the Download Festival. A festival known for being commercial and emo as fuck :) Great. Hehe.

I wasn't going to go, but I think I may have to now to defend the likes of Dimmu Borgir and Turisas from the hordes of unworthy abominations (that are people) \m/

Seems the reception for it hasn't been amazing on the forums, but then again they were announced with some right tosh. Just shows the typical download fanbase, uneducated *thumbs down*

ehmm... hear the official announcement:

Download.jpg

"We are extremely pleased to be able to announce that Viking metallers TURISAS have been confirmed to play at this year’s Download Festival.

Download Festival, this year, is celebrating its fifth anniversary, over the weekend of 8th, 9th, and 10th June. Based at the legendary Donington Park, it has become an essential festival for any rock fan. Selling out in advance, a massive 70,000 people descended on the site last year, and with tickets selling fast, 2007 looks set to be bigger and better than ever.

Never afraid to twist musical genres and turn them on their heads, Finnish six piece, TURISAS see music as a way of creating atmosphere, not a way to be labelled. Their sound is big, pompous and orchestral, but also features a lot of progressive elements and ethnic influences. They will celebrate the release of their forthcoming album ‘The Varangian Way’ (due to be released 28th May in the UK) by making their debut appearance at the Download Festival."

Warlord Nygard, TURISAS lead singer comments "Ten years ago, when this band was formed, when we were dreaming of playing the local youth centre, I remember how amazing it was to watch all those legendary bands on video play Donington. Now we're releasing our second album and it is just such a huge honour to be invited to take the stage and perform these new songs for the first time ever at such an amazing festival as Download for such a crazy crowd as we have learned to expect in the UK. Rain or shine, I want to see a sea of thousands of fists and hear your battle cry out loud and proud. Banners will fly high and pints raised towards the sky. My warriors - we meet at Donington!"

TURISAS are joining the already prestigious bill of over 30 bands already announced, with many more still to come – My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Iron Maiden, 30 Seconds To Mars, ANJ, Bloodsimple, Bowling For Soup, Bring Me The Horizon, Buckcherry, Chimaira, Devildriver, Dimmu Borgir, Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Drive By Argument, Enter Shikari, Evanescence, Gallows, I Was A Cub Scout, Job For A Cowboy, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Lamb Of God, Machine Head, Marilyn Manson, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Shadows Fall, Slayer, Stone Sour, Turbonegro, Velvet Revolver, Within Temptation, Unearth & Wolfmother ……

The day of TURISAS’ performance will be announced shortly.

For ticket information please check the official Download website:
www.downloadfestival.co.uk

-----------

See you there!

P.S. Did I see wrong, or was there the UK release date for "The Varangian Way"? :loco:

Dude, Download, that sucks, its a sad day for turisas to be playing such a wank fest, i can understand you wanting to get your music out there to the masses but playing a fest that is bassed around the 14 year old kids that think korn are death metal is never a good thing, its going to be like been dragonforce all over again.

Dude, Download, that sucks, its a sad day for turisas to be playing such a wank fest, i can understand you wanting to get your music out there to the masses but playing a fest that is bassed around the 14 year old kids that think korn are death metal is never a good thing, its going to be like been dragonforce all over again.

So true :(

I guess i don't blame Turisas for playing Download, i'd have accepted it, and we all knew it would come eventually (what with the Lordi support, followed by Get In the Ring) - the CC Live Whores have probably been on Turisas' case for a while =)

I just ask that you don't lose your roots guys and turn into something you're not. Keep the passion alive.

I'm just glad the new album went into production before this was announced \m/

And if I do go, I will be sure to wear my Turisas t-shirt(s) with blood and warpaint smothering my face :)

My immediate reaction upon hearing this was not unlike nicks comments up there....except he swore less and I doubt he was shouting and bitching as he typed, heh.
I have to admit, I think this is a bit of a downer, esp since I pride myself on making it to every turisas gig that is humanly possible but I refuse to go near download.

Pah, its a shame, thats all, :(.

-e

Come on guys. It's not like Turisas is some underground trve kult metal band. Turisas is up-beat music that's easy to love. My mom loves em, my fiancée loves em, hell even my daughter dances around to Turisas. The only people I know who doesn't like Turisas are those "trve metal" guys who thinks the music is to jolly or whatever.

Also, this is not meant as complaint to Turisas (I friggin' love em you know!!!), but Korn is a helluva lot heavier than Turisas for the most part. So getting Korn fans to like Turisas is actually asking them to listen to softer music imho.

Turisas will own Download and they fucking deserve the opportunity to play there! Download ist krieg!!!

hey, I am an uber KVLT TR00 Metal maniax and do like Turisas, what now? ;)

IMO it is a shame that quality bands like Turisas play in front of people who don't deserve to hear the genious of their music. it's a great opportunity for the band to play in front of all those people and they sure deserve the attention. (yet, only by those worth it... yeah I know, I'm quite conservative and narrowminded, but fuck it.)

^ my point exactly.
Though I do think one of my other issues is that I do have my pride, and I get very irritated when I am particularly passionate about a band and I see some little scene kid wearing their t-shirt and saying 'Yes, well you know, I prefer their old stuff, they have sold out now, just like metallica. But i've been into them for YEEEEEEEEARS(aka 4 fucking weeks and they downloaded the albums....scummmm)' Always the same jibbeerish from the same scenesters. It drives me up the freakin wall, and in all fairness, download is a breeding ground for these pricks, :(.

geh

-e

IMO it is a shame that quality bands like Turisas play in front of people who don't deserve to hear the genious of their music. it's a great opportunity for the band to play in front of all those people and they sure deserve the attention. (yet, only by those worth it... yeah I know, I'm quite conservative and narrowminded, but fuck it.)
This. The Lordi support slot was comfortable because, while they got to pwn some mainstream fans, they still got the good-sized set which they deserve. I doubt many Turisas fans will even bother to pay that much and sit through that much sub-par music to see 3 or 4 Turisas songs. And there's the Metal Hammer concert too, IMO they should stop promoting themselves so heavily in the UK, we only have a limited metal scene and there can't be that many dedicated metal fans here they haven't touched. Couldn't they do well in Scandinavia?

This. The Lordi support slot was comfortable because, while they got to pwn some mainstream fans, they still got the good-sized set which they deserve. I doubt many Turisas fans will even bother to pay that much and sit through that much sub-par music to see 3 or 4 Turisas songs. And there's the Metal Hammer concert too, IMO they should stop promoting themselves so heavily in the UK, we only have a limited metal scene and there can't be that many dedicated metal fans here they haven't touched. Couldn't they do well in Scandinavia?

I was speaking to a Finn that I met off funny enough, the Children of Bodom forums about 2 months back, and she recogns Turisas are almost unheard of, in their home nation.

But yeah...

ha ha.. yeah well ya have to have some bad ones before some good ones - these bands are on the bill and have to be announced at some point...

Nice pro post from the DL board admin there. Wicked promotion for the bands in question. Brilliant.

*slow clap*