Give me a challenge for guitar

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
does anybody know any challenging guitar pieces that are really fun to play but will most likely develop my talent.
I recently learned You Enjoy myself by Phish, that took a full day but I want something a little harder than that .. a day is a while for a song like that but you gotta do more than hit a note to make it sound right you know.
SO if anybody knows anything really fun to play please tell me, some jazz or blues type stuff would be awesome to learn I think.

squarenothing66 said:
Um. Steve Ray Vaughn - Little Wing. Yes, his version.

That's really fun to play.. I learned hendrix's version first to get a feel of the original song and then I took the rest of my time and learned Vaughn's version ... it's fucking awesome .... either one

I've heard of liquid tension .. im gonna try that song out tonight I am guessing. Tell you how it goes tomorrow.. anymore.
Im not much in to Joe anymore.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Try:

Yngwie Malmsteen-Far Beyond The Sun
Steve Vai-For the love of God

2 very cool songs, and Im going to see them both oct 20!!!
Yeah "For the Love of God" may be the best guitar song ever. Amazing it gives me chills everytime I hear it it's so good. 10/20 is the date in Winston-Salem right? I'm thinking about going to either that show or the one in Nashville not sure yet, but I'm going to one of them.

What's up? Haven't heard from you in quite some time man.

You might want to try some Spastic Ink. They've got some wild tunes, and are all instrumental. I'm working on "To Counter and Groove In E Minor". It's not too hard for the most part, but it's got some odd lead phrasing, almost an off-time feel, and some really good alternate picking workouts in it. If you're really brave, try and hunt down some of their other tunes to work on as well...

And of course, For The Love of God is a great tune (I recorded a version of t about a month ago. It's not technically that difficult, but it's hard to capture Vai's subtle phrasing (and some of his crazy picking, of course!)

Also give "Juice" by Vai a shot. It's super fun to play, and you'll be all over the neck with cool licks and techniques. But there's a crazy-assed tapping section in the middle of the solo that's only a few seconds long, but is bitch to play... Fun times! :hotjump:

godmachine12 said:
Yeah "For the Love of God" may be the best guitar song ever. Amazing it gives me chills everytime I hear it it's so good. 10/20 is the date in Winston-Salem right? I'm thinking about going to either that show or the one in Nashville not sure yet, but I'm going to one of them.
I think Tender Surrender or Blue Powder absolutely put to shame FTLOG.

godmachine12 said:

Actually its the one in Denver, and I know FTLOG is not the hardest song, but he puts forth suck emotional phrasing, it is amazing, that is a Vai classic forever.

Just thought of another. I would never recommend this to anybody, but I know your picking technique is unnatural beyond sensibility, so I'll say it anyway: King Crimson: Fracture. I've listened to this song so many times, but never really appreciated the insanity of it until I tried to play it. Sure, it sounds absolutely beautiful (in the darkest way possible), but I would consider it one of the most difficult songs to play that I've ever seen. It's funny, because the left hand technique is pretty simple (though unorthodox, since it has a lot of whole tone scale melodies), while the right hand is flying around non-stop. At inhuman speeds....I mean, I've heard many a good sweep picker in my time, but never any who have pulled off anything as complex(picking-wise) as this. Fucking Fripp. One day he'll be revered for guitar playing as Bach or Mozart were for composition.

Mayberry's Finest said:
I think Tender Surrender or Blue Powder absolutely put to shame FTLOG.

Well, I'd say Tender Surrender is on par with FTLOG in terms of musical greatness, but I don't ind it to be nearly as challenging to pull off. I don't find Blue Powder as good as those two, but it definitely has some fiucking hard whammy dives and rises to try and emulate. I gotta get a floyd rose some day, instead of my damn customized fixed BC Rich bridge. I only got it fixed recently, and ironically, just after that, I started realizing how important subtle(and not so subtle) whammy phrasing can be to a songs feel.

So yeah, if you want to work on your whammy bar technique, blue Powder is a good route to go. The other Vai songs use it, well, but in a much more subtle way. And as far as I'm concerned, well-performed subtlety is much more difficult than fucked-up-madness (ala-Kerry King, or Vai's wilder stuff)