again guitar

Ra-kot

Nov 17, 2002
Visit site
I know it was already often asked...but still perhaps not in the same manner i do now:

Anybody could advise some beautiful accoustic guitar metal,rock songs?!
Now only thing: with one guitar! So i could really learn and play it. I mean not smth like To bid ya farewell which is amazingly beautiful, but with 3 guiatrs kinda impossible to play ;(

I think 2-3 empyrium songs can be played by one guitar, but i really dont know any other nice ones...Need yar help.

It depends on your skill level. If you're a beginner, I'm not sure you'll find any of Opeth's songs easy to learn. Possibly Benighted, but I'm not sure, what's easy for me could be compoundedly difficult for you. Actually on second thought, if you're a beginner Benighted would confuse the hell out of you.

And To Bid You Farewell, I play that by myself all the time, it definitely works with one guitar. I like to play it on a nylon. I think you're talking about the introduction, the section that uses multiple guitars, there yes, I can understand it sounds like not much is happening with one guitar; but with the right skill level, and enough passion, that one guitar can sound just as elegant as three. After that part, it really hits chords, so one guitar gets the job done nicely.

If you're at say, an intermediate level, I'd say just have a go at To Bid You Farewell and Benighted. It might sound like shit at first, but that's always the case, that's why it's called learning. If, however, your barely learning guitar all together, I think Opeth might not be the place to start at all. I started with Metallica, easy stuff to learn, develops basic rhythm skills and nice metal standard.

You know, about guitar in general, asking for recommendations of what to learn because it's at your level isn't the best way to learn guitar. I remember the first six months of me playing guitar, it was shitty and brutal, I just played stuff I couldn't play for two years. What ends up happening is that by the end of it, your a badass guitar player. Don't be afraid to pick up stuff you know you won't play right. Don't be afraid not to see the results anytime soon, shit takes time. I remember picking up Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" tab within my first year of guitarplaying; could I play it? HELL NO, but I learned a lot, and now I sound a lot better than I first did.

So as far as learning Opeth, I think to Bid You Farewell is a good place to start, learn all three guitar parts. After you know the whole song, play the guitar part you like the most. The first Opeth song I ever learned was Face of Melinda, and jeez, that opened up my eyes.

and like any good guitar player, you gotta practice, practice, practice...

Patterns In The Ivy is definately a nice one-guitar fingerpicked song to know. The first song I started off with when I started learning guitar is actually Acoustic Medley by In Flames, and that's nice enough, it's just that there is 2 guitars and its a bit confusing so that kinda defeats the point.

The Drapery Falls is also decent on one guitar... I like to alternate between both parts, it works.

Epilogue is another nice one if you like to play lead guitar.

Demon of the Fall relies on two guitars, but its manageable with one and is awesomely fun to play.

Actually, overall, if you're looking for some one guitar stuff, Opeth is definately not a good place to start because most of their stuff requires some kind of second melody, rhythm, harmony and whatnot... I could suggest alot of Orchid songs which are kind of like learning 2 different songs because there is 2 guitars playing almost 2 completely different things, and its fun to just alternate between both guitar parts and learning songs like Forest of October and In Mist She Was Standing helped my playing immensely.

Happy huntin.

Now that I think of it, there is some stuff I think you'd like to play as one guitar, or at least a nice acoustic thing. Fade to Black by Metallica, my favorite Metallica track to date, also the first song I ever learned from them; the whole damn song is great; the first solo's I ever learned were also from that song. To Live is to Die by Metallica, the acoustic interlude in the middle of the song is one of the saddest acoustic riffs I've ever heard, and it's great to play. I remember teaching it to a friend of mine who was just learning guitar, and he got it down pretty well, so it shouldn't be that hard. And then of course there's Stairway to Heaven by you know who :), and that's just a must to learn, any guitarist who doesn't know that song hasn't got his "strings" (i don't know, i'm looking for a similarity to a pilot getting his "wings"...) hehe.... and I'd still say you should give Face of Melinda and To Bid you Farewell a shot, those songs are amazing once you get them down.

THx a lot for replies...especially DemonOfthe Fall. Ya got good points there for me. I guess i should still try a go for To Bid ya Farewell...was bit too pussy(lazy) to start working on it...thought its too hard...But well..i should really try and train,train,train like ya said. I am actually a beginner...playing about 4 months now, but i think i quite developed so far and believe i can play pretty ok for that period of playing...My only problem is i am 100% self-learner and could lack some important principles a teacher would quickly showup.

The thing i love most so far is Testament-Trail of Tears...Its fucking awesome on accoustic guitar...

Btw...thx for the Metallica advise...i totally forgot them (except nothing else matters which i can play atm, but not smooth at all so far).
Fade to Black (also my fav from Metallica) and To live is To die are really good ones to try out!