Glenn, camera list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx2k05

Metal Is Power!
Oct 15, 2005
Would there be any chance of getting the digital camera list posted soon, so that I might have time to buy a new digital camera that I can bring into the fest?

Pretty much every digital camera you buy these days has the capability to record quality clips of video/audio over 30 seconds which is the key criteria that gets a camera banned.

Glenn hasn't made any official announcement on cameras this year, so can't I officially speak on this year's policy. If the policy is similar to what it was last year, then you should plan on purchasing a digital SLR camera (the lenses can be interchanged with a separate camera body) as digital SLRs don't have the capability to record any video or sound and are easy to verify as a SLR camera. Examples are the Canon Digital Rebel series and Nikon D200, but there are many more digital SLRs to choose from.

If cameras are again permitted, then the cameras that were banned last year will be again banned this year. The only changes that would be made are that practically every non digital SLR camera released since September of last year will be added to the banned list unless it somehow doesn't record video and audio of a specific quality. New digital SLRs released since PP7 will be added to the "accepted" list.

Again, Glenn is to make the official announcement regarding the camera policy this year, but I thought I'd just give you a head's up of what to likely expect if cameras are again allowed this year.

Yep, a digital SLR might be your only option...and they are NOT cheap.

I happen to have a very old digital camera, a Kodak DC210+, that doesn't take video -- it's a megapixel camera, from the days when you didn't specify how many megapixels because you couldn't get more than one. They hadn't released any video-capable cameras yet.

I don't think there is any market for people selling old cameras like mine secondhand, but it might be worth a shot. Certainly they wouldn't break anyone's bank. :lol:

I did the same thing, and had to e-mail Mr. Fiddler since mine wasn't listed.
I use an old Canon Powershot S30, and it takes ok pics. You can probably get one relatively cheap on E-bay, and the price on CF cards keeps dropping.

Official statement to come soon.

We should see if we can get a discount on a group buy of dsl-r's.

FYI the new Sony camera has optical stabilization in the camera, not the lenses, meaning ANY old compatible lens can work. For instance, I have a quantaray telescopic lens from my minolta film camera that I could use. I believe any minolta type A bayonet-mount lens will work in this camera.

It IS expensive though. Read review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

I just bought a new digital camera. Sadly it shoots video, and even though I wouldnt abuse the features I know it will be banned and understand why.

I just cant justify what kind of camera I purchase for this event. Id rather take no pics at the fest (well I'll take pix just not inside the venue), and have a camera I really want for the remainder of the year and other festivities I do.

We should see if we can get a discount on a group buy of dsl-r's.

FYI the new Sony camera has optical stabilization in the camera, not the lenses, meaning ANY old compatible lens can work. For instance, I have a quantaray telescopic lens from my minolta film camera that I could use. I believe any minolta type A bayonet-mount lens will work in this camera.

It IS expensive though. Read review here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

purchased one of those sweet babies for my wife this past Christmas. And trust me - it's nice... real nice. I will be bringing it with me to PPUSA VIII.

I found a body and lens deal on Newegg for $799 when they were going for as much as $1000 at retail stores. Looks as though the review page links to some similar deals.

good luck all. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.