Globalization

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
what are your thoughts?

are you for the expansion and assimilation of culture to unify a larger group, or the conservation of tradition and identity as individuals representing history? or another interpretation...

and why.

I don't particularly enjoy globalization. I'm much more for the conservation of identity as individuals and cultures and such. If I go to Japan, I'm not going to want to go to McDonald's and stay at a Holiday Inn. I want to eat at a real sushi bar and stay in a cool, cramped hotel that costs an exorbitant amount of money. I understand that McDonald's might be considered a "foreign" food over there, and I'm cool with that, but they don't need a fucking McDonalds and Starbucks on every corner. if it's gonna be exactly like how it is here, why bother leaving america?

like I said, I understand that some globalization is necessary for some companies, but we don't need to create an America Pt.II (which seems to be happening right before our very eyes). That's what makes foreign countries so enticing and appealing; restaurants we don't have in the states, a completely different culture and set of values. I go on vacation to get away from home; not to have remembrances of home.

I'm sure there are other much more sound Economic and Governmental-ish reasons as to why globalization is a bad idea, but this is just coming from my point of view

I think Globalization is the elites way of owning the world.

But I mean america is now a police state, so that is the least of America's worries.
I mean the nwe wrold order is comming soon enough. Bush senior was talking about it when he was in power, Jr is just keepin it going. Just wait till the next terror attack, you americas will loose ALL you freedoms.

The only positive, is that ceritain things will be available anywhere.

MasterOLightning said:
Economic globalization is a good thing, but it leads to cultural globalization, which is less desirable, as we seem to agree on. I guess all that can be done is to hope for a balance.

Economic globalization is not a good thing unless one is a American stockholder/CEO or one is living in India or China.

I actually receive my masters degree in economics on Fri--with a specialization in International Development; so for once, I an safely say I know what I am talking about. And I claim no ideology or stance, so I am coming at this from a unbiased opinion.

For a westerner, free Trade is a horrible idea, yes you heard me, free trade is a horrible idea. No major western country has developed because of free trade. In the last 20 years, we have gouged high paying jobs, high benefit jobs overseas. The benefit has been to the corporations and the stockholders, no one else. THey have become much more competitive, decreasing costs and shedding payroll. Our companies have pretty much done what we wanted them to do at the Bretton Woods conference following WWII--take over the world. If demand economics have any relevance, eventually enough people will be out of high paying jobs, that they will not be able to afford many things, thus stagnating the economy. Right now, we are seeing the beginnings of this problem in the US, but our economy is so robust, it is going to take some time.

For a average third world resident, Free trade has been a horrible idea. For the last 20 years, the US and Europe through the IMF and World Bank, has been forcing free trade upon the rest of the world. THey have stripped countries of their government appartatus, and replaced them with highly corrupt privatization programs. THis has been a total failure; Bolivia today pretty much went up in total riot over these programs. These programs allow Western businesses to take over, with the elites from each country. Africa, South America, Asia except for Vietnam and China, have all been touched by these programs, and been worse off for it. Basic services are cut, health etc.

Anyway, the moral of the story is Globalization is bad--very bad for westerners. And the current Privatization and Free trade schemes used in the last 20 years have totally stagnated and repressed once growing countries.

Remember, Economics is not a science. No one knows beyond very basic models what the hell is going on, especially at the macro level. Greenspan said he was confused why long term interest rates are decreasing when short term interest rates have been increased every FED meeting in the last year. This trend is counter to all principles of Economics. One can only imagine how wrong these classical liberal free trade moron have been.

Silver Incubus said:
I think Globalization is the elites way of owning the world.

But I mean america is now a police state, so that is the least of America's worries.
I mean the nwe wrold order is comming soon enough. Bush senior was talking about it when he was in power, Jr is just keepin it going. Just wait till the next terror attack, you americas will loose ALL you freedoms.

The only positive, is that ceritain things will be available anywhere.

Everything you read on the internet is true.

Haha, yeah ESPECIALLY InfoWars and any other site run by Alex Jones. :Spin:

That's not to say globalization as it exists now doesn't present a lot of problems and isn't probably a horrible idea.

The misinterpretation of globalization seems to be the amalgamation of all the world's cultures and individual heritages and identities into a sloppy grey boredom.

I interpret globalization as the communication of the world's diversity to overcome differences and expose various cultures to various other cultures. Education over ignorance. Familiarity over alienation. Brotherhood over conflict. It's a very Islamic way to look at it, I suppose.

When I hear "globalization," I think of watching a meeting of the UN and hearing a hundred different langauges in the same room. I don't think of a McDonalds on every corner of every world city or MTV Mongolia. I think cultural domination of thw world as a result of economic globalization is being committed in the name of cultural globalization. The two are not tantamount.

Silver Incubus said:
Everything on the news is true............right? They wouldn't lie to the public would they?

But the loss of culture, i agree, is a bad thing, if the whole world was the same, it would be boring

Infowars is pretty scary. I know there are just as bad left wing people too who are as insane. But I always take the news with a huge grain of salt. I have personally witnessed misinformation campaigns, which worked like a champ and since then I never fully believe what I hear/see on the news.

My thoughts on globalization..Evil will always win, because globalization is dumb.

I don't like the idea of cultural globalization. For one thing, diversity is what makes life interesting to me, and for another, the idea of cultural globalization seems more like global adoption of Western culture, with Western ideas and values supplanting all others rather than blending with them.

Having never taken economics, I don't think I'm in a position to comment on economic globalization. But I will say this: in general, I disagree strongly with the values that accompany Western economy and I'd hate to see them spread further. We as a culture value material things and their acquisition far too greatly, at the expense of our appreciation of life and the world around us. Granted, I am no different than anyone else in this regard, and it bothers me that I'm as dependent as I am on my computer, iPod, etc. Sometimes it seems as though the things we own end up owning us...

Silver Incubus said:
Everything on the news is true............right?
Even if this is true, and I'm not so certain that it is, the media can still manipulate public opinion based simply on what they do (or don't) choose to cover. So maybe everything you see IS true, but something that would interfere with the political agendas they support is conveniently left out. Or news stories "break" at strategic times, even if the truth was known days or weeks beforehand. Think about it--the media decides what we worry about, and what's important for us to know. In allowing them to do that we give them an incredible amount of influence over us.

I think its fairly obvious that economic and cultural globalization go hand in hand--conditional upon each other.

i have not yet stated my view on the subject, though i generally agree with all of you. i'd rather have a global community in which we all get along, but without losing our heritage and individual unique identities.

the UN example was excellent, in its ideal state.

I'm against cultural globalization because it's just like European colonialism all over again, except with even fewer morals. When I went to visit my family in China, I saw girls dressed like sluts, guys in huge ghetto pants, crackheads smoking crack, and I heard loud rap music in the streets. My friend saw graffiti in France when he went back to visit. We need to at least quarantine these ordurous phenomena to the U.S., if not eliminating them totally, instead of spreading non-values around the world.

You hit the nail on the head, Silent Song. Pop 'culture' is anti-culture. Being related to executives, I don't think that it's corporations at all. The only corp involved in this whole business is Viacom, owner of MTV. The real problem lies in the pathological memes spread by teens infested with pop anti-culture.