Spectral Incursion - Middle of Nowhere
Anathema - Salem Lunacy
Queensrÿche - Empire
Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying
Atrocity - Hallucinations
Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican
Realm - Suiciety
(RYM 4.0 cut-off)

A few of my very favorites, Trouble's S/T, Reason, and Cracked Brain in particular, will need a relisten to determine the precise order. It's going to be all 9s and 10s in the top 10. Will continue the autism through my 3.5s and better 3.0s later. Peak year.

Tyr is a fine fucking choice!
It's a brilliant album, one of the finest of the Martin era. Nice cohesive lyrical theme without being a "proper" concept album and the suite of "The Battle of Tyr/Odin's Court/Valhalla" epitomizes epic. "Valhalla" is such an anthem. And "The Lawmaker" has one of Iommi's best solos. Pure shred.

I guess I'd have No Prayer for the Dying as an honorable mention. There are some excellent tracks but it's always been an album of a lot of peaks and valleys for me.

Reactions: Dak
HBB why do you hate the Sieges Even album from this year so much? Kinda curious.

I've been meaning to give it a fresh listen so that I could properly review it as I did their first album, but it's been about a decade so I can't precisely say why. But the general thing I remember is that it was similar to their debut in that it felt like an obvious imitation of greater bands without the ability to execute on it, only now by branching out away from thrash into pure prog they didn't even have any decent fundamentals to stand on. One thing I particularly remember is that there's a certain chord that Rush used a lot in the later 70s and early 80s, don't know enough about music to tell particularly what kind of a chord it is or whatever, but if you know what I mean by the kind of big, shimmering chords they often use in introductions/outros or when announcing a bridge section, kind of the guitar equivalent of a bombastic clash cymbal, that's the chord I'm referring to. Anyways, Sieges Even copies that precise chord all over the album, only instead of using it sparingly they throw it all over the place so it's like noise, only it's not particularly dissonant/intense/ugly so it sounds more like a 10 year old with a midi tracker throwing "pre-set pretty 70s Rush chord" over their music. They also take these crazy Watchtower-esque drum fills, sometimes copying them verbatim, and throw them over what is otherwise a mellow section of a song in a way that doesn't work at all. Doesn't help that their garbage singer at that time was the exact opposite of what that kind of music needs. I'm not remotely a stickler for things like singing in key, soloing in key, tight musicianship, etc, in fact I'm probably deaf to it and happy to be so, but I do ask that music at least sound conceptually sensible if not technically sensible in a music theory sense, and that album sounds like one of the most retarded mish-mashes of progressive muzak I've ever heard. Even the song titles seem like they were written by some poorly-programmed prog-imitation algorithm than actual humans, e.g. 'The Tangerine Windows of Solace', did an AI read 'Tangerine Dream' and 'The Ivory Gate of Dreams' and just mix the two together? What in the fuck is a tangerine window? It's basically anti-music to me.

1. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
2. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
3. Death - Spiritual Healing
4. Chakal - The Man is His Own Jackal
5. Razor - Shotgun Justice
6. Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
7. Destruction - Cracked Brain
8. Kreator - Coma of Souls
9. Sodom - Better Off Dead
10. The Accused - Grinning Like an Undertaker

Will edit later, first stuff that pops in head. Waaaay too many honorable mentions

EDIT: changed the order around in the bottom half

Last edited:
The Key was among some of the first death metal albums I heard so because of that the more derivative elements don't bother me that much.

1. grotesque - incantation
2. nuclear death - bride of insect
3. artillery - by inheritance
4. merciless - the awakening
5. massacra - final holocaust
6. hellwitch - syzygial miscreancy
7. bathory - hammerheart
8. morbid saint - spectrum of death
9. believer - sanity obscure
10. tiamat - sumerian cry

really good year

The first Iced Earth is pretty damn solid. The drumming is simplistic and they start rehashing chord progressions halfway through, but there are some excellent melodies to be found there, and it was the beginning of a new era of power metal.

Reactions: CiG