3. Profanatica - Profanatitas de Domonatia
4. Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
5. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
6. Portal - Outre
7. Lunar Aurora - Andacht
8. Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
9. Doomsword - My Name Will Live On
10. Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations

pretty weak year overall. i used to listen to a bunch of Drudkhy type black metal back then but that stuff hasn't held up for me over the years. i bumped the Necros Christos album down a few spots because it's bloated with all those 2spooky4me tracks.

"unsettling claustrophobic, paranoid vibe" is more or less Mekong Delta's greatest feature. If you enjoyed Lurking Fear, the first four albums are all woth checking out as well. Of those five albums, The Principle of Doubt is my favorite fwiw. But of their entire discography, Wanderer is my favorite, which is a bit more melodic and less spooky, and has a cleaner singer than the majority of the albums, basically just an extremely well-written prog metal album.

big_1425280925_image.jpg

1. Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia
2. Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapian
3. Varhzaw - Aquience
4. Outworld - Outworld
5. Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
6. Abcess - Horrorhammer
7. Planet-X - Quantum
8. Entombed - Serpent Saints
9. Onslaught - Killing Peace
10. Sun Caged - Artesima

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophii and jimmy101
1. The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees, and the Shadows of the Past
2. Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
3. Dying Fetus - War of Attrition
4. Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught
5. Soilwork - Sworn to a Great Divide
6. Mors Principium Est - Liberation = Termination
7. Devildriver - The Last Kind Words
8. As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us
9. Down - Down III: Over the Under
10. Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Too many albums from this year I like but don't believe to be "great" (including in my list). Lotta pre-UM nostalgic stuff made the list over some other pretty good albums from Alchemist, Cobalt, Mekong Delta, Primordial, Overkill, etc. Real lack of solid DM that year. I checked out Estuary @HamburgerBoy, not bad but nothing amazing.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
God I loved that when it came out. Went and saw them live a bunch of times. Haven’t listened to it in years.
Me too. Have seen them a number of times. They keep teasing a comeback, but still haven't heard any new material from them. Have you ever heard much Hashshashin before? Its the bassist's new project, very trippy.

How is no one mentioning Deathevokation - Chalice of the Ages?? One of the greatest death metal records ever recorded IMO. Easy #1 for me this year

I put it in my honourable mentions, killer album.

no hour of 13 CiG?

edit: nm, just saw your rym rating. weird, would’ve thought it’d be in your wheelhouse. one of very few great modern doom albums imo

Yeah, never been a massive fan of them or anything, but that's their best. A strong 7/10.

Me too. Have seen them a number of times. They keep teasing a comeback, but still haven't heard any new material from them. Have you ever heard much Hashshashin before? Its the bassist's new project, very trippy.
Yeah I don’t think a Five Star reunion will happen any time soon, I think they’re all doing other things. I’ve heard and enjoyed the Hashshashin debut, middle eastern drone prog, haha. I went to the album launch when they came down here. Their guitarist runs Art As Catharsis records and has done a bunch of cool shit. Have you heard Serious Beak?

preliminary list:
reverend bizarre - III: So Long Suckers
hour of 13 - s/t
deathevokation - chalice of the ages
dark faith - Terrains Vagues
morrigan - the damned
necros christos - triune impurity rites
slough feg - hardworlder
black betty - s/t
lunar aurora - andacht
Njiqahdda - Njimajikal Arts

solid year

Yeah I don’t think a Five Star reunion will happen any time soon, I think they’re all doing other things. I’ve heard and enjoyed the Hashshashin debut, middle eastern drone prog, haha. I went to the album launch when they came down here. Their guitarist runs Art As Catharsis records and has done a bunch of cool shit. Have you heard Serious Beak?
Five Star have been putting up a few teasers/photos of the band jamming on facebook. Maybe they've got something in the works? Although, they were also planning a reunion in 2014, but that never eventuated.

No, haven't heard Serious Break. I'll have to look some of their stuff up!

Five Star have been putting up a few teasers/photos of the band jamming on facebook. Maybe they've got something in the works? Although, they were also planning a reunion in 2014, but that never eventuated.
Ah didn’t see that.

No, haven't heard Serious Break. I'll have to look some of their stuff up!
Their debut rules.

Reactions: Dak and jimmy101
Wow, that's absolutely wild. I think I might seek out a copy of that little gem. Thanks for putting me on to that bro.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
1. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
2. Nifelheim - Envoy of Lucifer
3. Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
4. Hour of 13 - Hour of 13
5. Svartsyn - Timeless Reign
6. Chainsaw - The Announcement
7. Immolation - Shadows in the Light
8. Bloody Sign - Explosion of Elements
9. Morrigan - The Damned
10. Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites

Not a great year for me. Top four are excellent but I have the Necros Christos at 3 on RYM which is probably the lowest rating that's made a top ten list.

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
Wow, that's absolutely wild. I think I might seek out a copy of that little gem. Thanks for putting me on to that bro.
Yeah they’re nuts. Not sure if they’re still a thing or not. They’ve only put out two albums but the debut is far superior imo. I was recommending it on here for ages but everyone ignored me haha

Reactions: jimmy101