good year for cover art:
61reqhHsaNL._SS500.jpg

0002998526_10.jpg

a4284688367_10.jpg

a0923170325_10.jpg

kevercover600_zps7fa0cf061.jpg

0012991847_10.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Sorry guys, I have no idea when it comes to metal in 2014. Gonna spectate on this one and will give the top 10 a thorough listen once we get there.

Mainly what I remember about 2014 is being utterly blown away by Domains and Emptiness. Looking at a list I made for another forum, there's very little I still listen to regularly. The Satanist and Oi Magoi were really good, though. Old Wainds and Horrendous put out good stuff too. For some reason I didn't have the Artificial Brain debut on my list, and I have no idea why. That thing rules.

But yeah that year was really all about Sinister Ceremonies and Nothing but the Whole.

i barely listened to anything from this year, but i remember the mare cognitum album from then being fucking fantastic as well as the ogre

guess this is a reason to finally listen to the bolzer ep and to revisit dead congregation's album too

If you haven't already, you should check out Zaum's album Oracles, very much in the tradition of Om and Yob.

Actually thought it was Dopesmoker by Sleep because of that album cover, lol. Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check it out.

99% of those are ratings from 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. I only refreshed my memory on about 10 albums and listened to about 10 new albums, so don't be fooled by the autism lol.

The 3.5's is like double that.

lol really? Mine is nothing compared with some of the lists HBB posts.

Listening to a hundred albums over a 4 year period doesn't even sound shocking to me.

lol really? Mine is nothing compared with some of the lists HBB posts.

Listening to a hundred albums over a 4 year period doesn't even sound shocking to me.

Sure, but there's over 70 albums in your list above, you say your 3.5s are double that, so plus another 140, that's already over 200 before you even count the average/bad albums you heard.

If you're maintaining that pace every year, that's freaking nuts.

Well a few things:

1. You assume your process of rating an album and your rating standards are the same as mine (I'm easy to please and tend to overrate).
  2. After years of being an avid music consumer I've gotten pretty good at judging an album before I check it out, I didn't wade through 50 brocore albums to find a gem if you know what I mean? I know what I like and I know the general aesthetic attributed to bands in the styles I like (album art, band photos, logo style, label, who produced it, other bands the members belong to etc) so I haven't really had to blindly dive into music for over a decade.
  3. For 2014 I have a very small amount of things rated 3/5 or lower so I've checked out roughly over 200 releases (not all are albums, many are EPs and demos) for that year over an 8 year period and all are quality, due to the aforementioned developed judgement skills that enable me to mostly check out things I have a good chance of liking.
  4. I'm pretty fucking rabid and listen to music basically all day at work (my notepads are filled with ratings I have yet to input into RYM lol).
Edit: Reminds me, I wish I didn't delete my old RYM, I can't just dip into what I've rated to make lists anymore because I didn't transfer all the ratings over to my new RYM at the time. I didn't think that one through at all.