GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2014

10)Citadel by Ne Obliviscaris
Layered lashings of euphoria and chaos...
Ne-Obliviscaris-Citadel.jpg

"Some very creative/interesting moments. Also some boring/repetitive moments. Not quite as stunning as their first album but definitely worth a listen imo." @Baroque

"A truly progressive band, with very well educated musicians. And the music is also enjoyable to listen to. I have great respect for what they do.Basically classical music/metal nerd music rolled into one. It's for musicians and is forward thinking imo." @Baroque

"For truly progressive music see Ne Obliviscaris" @J.

"I know I've said it before, but Ne Obliviscaris popped up on my shuffle again and they are the number one example of a band I'd fuckin love if not for the clean vocals. Easily number one. I stomach them for the sake of the instrumental craftsmanship, but grimace a little bit every time. Sounds like a teenager fresh out of puberty." @Carpe Mortem

"Ne Obliviscaris is definitely Starbucks metal." @Krow

"You know what's funny though. If being image-concious is what makes you hipster, then those fucks not listening to Ne Obliviscaris because they don't want to be associated with hipsters are being image-concious about it, and therefore being hipsters. ;)" @Baroque

"Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel
Cool stuff. :)"
@Krow

Chosen By:
@Baroque (#2)
@crimsonfloyd (#6)
@RedinTheSky (#7)
@The Ozzman

TOTAL POINTS: 23.5

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
*8) Melana Chasmata by Triptykon
You drain my blood, this life long gone

triptykon-melana-chasmata-20150630173340.jpg

"From newer albums I would pick Tryptikon - Melana Chasmata because it sounds very doomy and when I listen to this it really shakes me every time." @I-TEND-TO-DIE

"Quite an album, really." @dwellerINTHEdark

"Triptykon is only really enjoyable when baked." @waif

"Triptykon is the most boring, derivative bullshit." @Der Morgenstern

"Triptykon isn't all that great either."@Pitiless Wanderer

"Triptykon's latest is mighty fine." @dwellerINTHEdark

CHOSEN BY:
@Oblivious Maximus (#3)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#4)
@-CyanideChrist- (#5)
@Krow (#6)

TOTAL POINTS: 26

*8) Labyrinth Constellation by Artificial Brain
Stewing, swirling, slow motion labyrinth constellation...

a2288447724_10.jpg

"Really interesting sound on this. It's not overly technical and it has a cool sci fi feel. I can see it growing on me"
@Jimmy... Dead.

"Might take DM album of the year for me. It's not every day you see a tech death band signed to Profound Lore, but after listening to the record, holy hell. It's Mithras/Demilich/Time Ghoul caliber tech death, the songwriting is absolutely sublime, the production is supremely organic-sounding, and overall the group is incredibly well-versed in progressive metal tropes (DSO-isms and what have you)." @Eligos

"Dissonant, weird, technical, and yes maybe even brutal death metal. This fucking rocks." @Krow

"Have you guys heard Artificial Brain yet? Perfect balance between modern and old-school." @morguelord

"LABYRINTH CONSTELLATION by artificial brain, it's a dissonant tech death thing. Above average for the style though." @no country for old wainds

Chosen By:
@CiG (#1)
@Krow (#4)
@TechnicalBarbarity (#5)
@RedinTheSky (#8)

TOTAL POINTS: 26

Reactions: CiG
7) Consumed by Elder Sign by Innsmouth
Dream encumbered Castellan of the abyssal plain...

innsmouth-consumed-by-the-elder-sign-700x700.jpg

"So, the Innsmouth full-length finally dropped. Listen to this beast. Track 3 starts with a horrible Lustmord-esque baby crying thing. The rest of the album sounds like a faster, more death metal Hail or W.A.I.L. Super Finnish sounding. Fuck me this rules."
@Master_Yoda77

"Fucking disgusting, rotten and filthy. Almost everything I look for in this style of music." @Phylactery

"The cover art is indeed amazing but it didn't hold up to it at all actually. It felt pretty uninspired and boring, didn't really go anywhere and mostly dragged on. And with the band name and overall theme it feels too try hard."@Vilden

"I think this band is a little boring, to be honest."@Funerary_Doom

"Some ok riffs in here but the 'oooh scary' vocals and shit production ruin it." @Satanstoenail

"lives up to that magnificent cover art, and is exactly the kind of thing i traditionally go for." @no country for old wainds

"i wasn't huge on that innsmouth record either. it's fine but didn't exactly beg me to listen to it repeatedly."
@no country for old wainds

Chosen By:
@dwellerINTHEdark (#2)
@Vegard Pompey (#3)
@Anom@nder Rake (#7)
@Phylactery

TOTAL POINTS: 26.5

"The cover art is indeed amazing but it didn't hold up to it at all actually. It felt pretty uninspired and boring, didn't really go anywhere and mostly dragged on. And with the band name and overall theme it feels too try hard."@Vilden
"I think this band is a little boring, to be honest."@Funerary_Doom

I agree. Surprised by all the worship it gets here, though I don't think it's bad or anything like that. With them all you really need is their Departure of Shub-Niggurath demo. Sacriphyx was infinitely better.

"lives up to that magnificent cover art, and is exactly the kind of thing i traditionally go for." @no country for old wainds

"i wasn't huge on that innsmouth record either. it's fine but didn't exactly beg me to listen to it repeatedly."

Teh feck?

Sacriphyx seems like a weird comparison to me, Innsmouth is much more primitive. Sacriphyx have an obvious influence from the Greek BM scene. They don't really sound all that much alike to me.

Edit: Just realised they shared a member, which is probably why you made the comment you did.

6) A Merging to the Boundless by StarGazer
Infinite is existence, until reached, is this...

a3702832010_16.jpg

"StarGazer is such an interesting band. Sometimes a bit tedious to take in, but great overall" @divine_torture "

StarGazer have entered the studio this weekend to commence recording their 3rd studio album. @Avigrus

"Yay! I was just listening to A Great Work of Ages yesterday actually. If they can match or even top that album it will be absolutely incredible." @wandering_taco

"Definitely more coherent and compositionally aware than your average prog/tech death (I know this isn't a straight up tech death album), but perhaps still a bit too schizophrenic for my current tastes. Still good though, just not something I could listen to often." @Phylactery

Chosen By:
@Anom@nder Rake (#1)
@CiG (#4)
@Talos of Atmora (#6)

TOTAL POINTS: 27.5

5) Dancing With the Past by Kenn Nardi
But the truth still shows even when it's twisted in riddles...
a2088355485_5.jpg

"Just ordered Kenn's Dancing With the Past album.
"@Psychonaut

"The Anacrusis frontman's (double) solo album. I planned on listening to both discs together but ended up listening to only the first one initially. First impressions say it should appeal to any fans of Screams & Whispers. @HamburgerBoy

Chosen By:
@Burkhard (#1)
@Talos of Atmora (#2)
@HamburgerBoy (#2)

TOTAL POINTS: 28

Last edited: