GMD Poll: Top Years of the 80's

Sin After Sin though.

I know, I know, I just end up listening to the albums that bookend it for whatever reason. If heavy metal was more at the heart of my listening experience, I'm sure I'd listen to it more. A lot of killer tracks, though.

Sad Wings - none (aside from Prelude)
Sin - none

Up there, sure. The rest are all mostly shit sandwiches or have 2-3 useless tracks at least.

British without no fillers? Wtf. The whole album is mediocre. So funny, man. Even Screaming has 2 shit tracks.

How many albums you omitted? 3, 4? Inconsistency is the word that defines Priest.

Up there, sure. The rest are all mostly shit sandwiches or have 2-3 useless tracks at least.

British without no fillers? Wtf. The whole album is mediocre. So funny, man. Even Screaming has 2 shit tracks.

How many albums you omitted? 3, 4? Inconsistency is the word that defines Priest.

Filler = uninspired songs written purely to fill an album out, in my book. For example, I do think that Defenders is pretty shit after Love Bites, but I wouldn't necessarily call them filler-y, just shit.

Just because British Steel is poppy and a bit simple doesn't mean that it is filler-ridden. The closest things to filler that I hear are United (silly anthem rock sure but they still play it live sometimes) and You Don't Have to be Old to Be Wise (a great song but maybe the least notable one).

Screaming is all excellent. There's a general consensus that Pain & Pleasure is weaker (though I love it) but it's still its own thing, it doesn't sound like an eleventh-hour album-padding.

I omitted a bunch of albums, because there is no band in history with a discography as long as Priest's without having weaker albums and filler songs. Certainly not Maiden's.

Reactions: CiG
Maiden from the very beginning until late 80's was impeccable. Priest wasn't.

Both bands are heaven and Earth compared in terms of quality and consistency. Sorry, man.

The difference between Priest filler and Maiden filler is that a Priest filler is a fairly un-notable 2-4 minute track, while a Maiden filler is a good 3-4 minute song padded to 7-8 minutes with chorus repetition and pointless introductory bits. Maiden started self-plagiarizing as early as Powerslave, while Priest has done a mostly-good job at avoiding that.

The difference between Priest filler and Maiden filler is that a Priest filler is a fairly un-notable 2-4 minute track, while a Maiden filler is a good 3-4 minute song padded to 7-8 minutes with chorus repetition and pointless introductory bits. Maiden started self-plagiarizing as early as Powerslave, while Priest has done a mostly-good job at avoiding that.
Not until 7th son at least. Sorry man, but The Priests are inconsistent even on their best regarded albums.

The "commercial" era of Priest doesn't bothers me due the approach itself (after all, I like a lot of "arena rock" shit well done like Whitesnake's 1987 or Bon Jovi's debut, to name a few) but the songs are just mediocre in terms of songwriting. Breaking the Law is a shit song for example. I don't give a flying fuck about being " a classic". It's corny shit.

I mean, British is mindless mediocre fun, sure, but mediocre nonetheless. Killing Machine is just a bit less mediocre, but compared to the great albums from the great bands in similar developing stages, it falls real short. Albums like Point of Entry, Turbo and Ram it Down are almost laughable (the latter has a couple of really good tracks tho).

So, the "greatness" of Priest is a song-based greatness, not album based. After Halford left the band, they couldn't release a single decent album until Firepower (which is good because they plagiarized themselves well)

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Nearly every song on Turbo is better than nearly every song on Virtual XI, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier, and The Book of Souls.

Hey guy with old opinions, people love Turbo now.
lol what the fuck does this even mean? "a few people love turbo so should change your opinion" :lol: Sound like poser language to me. That album is trash and is still widely considered one of their worst albums, regardless if you flip-flop your opinions based on whatever the fuck it is you're talking about

cant knock on hbb's opinion since hes always liked that album.

Hurrr opinions on albums don’t change over time. People hated Turbo when it came out. They don’t now.

people hated it when it came out, they hated it ten years ago and they still hate it. The fact that you're implying he should change his opinion now just because a few people like it is pretty damn funny. Why the fuck should he or anyone else care what some newbies or trend-hoppers say? Who gives a fuck what others think? oh yeah, you do. P-O-S-E-U-R

Reactions: Allfader
Turbo came out in 1986. Compare it to Somewhere in Time or any 80's Maiden album and cry.

What does that have to do with anything? Compare any 70s Priest album to any 70s Maiden album and cry, derp.

Turbo and Ram it Down were Priest's tenth and eleventh albums. Compare them to the Blaze albums, or, better yet, evaluate discographies holistically instead of applying arbitrary meaningless cut-offs.

What does that have to do with anything? Compare any 70s Priest album to any 70s Maiden album and cry, derp.

Turbo and Ram it Down were Priest's tenth and eleventh albums. Compare them to the Blaze albums, or, better yet, evaluate discographies holistically instead of applying arbitrary meaningless cut-offs.

Since when art is comparable by their order of production instead the time/era that was produced? Music is no exception, the trends, styles, categotization and distinction are given, among other factors, by the context in which they were created, which is unavoidable a part of the art itself, a part of its identity.

Both have some similarities and are, especially, products of their time. Both feature the heaviest use of synth guitars on both bands in their history, following the trend of the industry back then. So, Turbo can only be compared to SIT and viceversa when it comes to both artists.

Up until 1989, Maiden was infinitely better overall than Priest. IM's discography was basically flawless up to 7th son, almost 10 years straight of excellence. Did Priest ever had such a period of uninterrupted musical prowess?