GMD Poll: Top Years of the 80's

Since when art is comparable by their order of production instead the time/era that was produced? Music is no exception, the trends, styles, categotization and distinction are given, among other factors, by the context in which they were created, which is unavoidable a part of the art itself, a part of its identity.

Both have some similarities and are, especially, products of their time. Both feature the heaviest use of synth guitars on both bands in their history, following the trend of the industry back then. So, Turbo can only be compared to SIT and viceversa when it comes to both artists.

Up until 1989, Maiden was infinitely better overall than Priest. IM's discography was basically flawless up to 7th son, almost 10 years straight of excellence. Did Priest ever had such a period of uninterrupted musical prowess?

If you want to compare the two albums, sure, feel free, but that's not a statement of consistency over a discography. You're inventing a rubric that conveniently fits your narrative by dicing a potentially-coherent argument into infinitesimal meaningless yet true premises.

In any case, Caught Somewhere in Time is a boring overly-repetitive song, worse than anything on Turbo aside from Parental Guidance. Heaven Can Wait is also pretty ugly with its ham-fisted vocal melodies and another repetitive chorus (though the bridge section is excellent), and worse than anything on Turbo aside from Parental Guidance. Seventh Son is a pretty weak album; The Evil That Men Do is worse than anything on Jugulator, let alone Turbo, and on the whole it has a disturbing lack of meaningful riffs.

"Uninterrupted" is another meaningless and arbitrary rubric; Priest changed quite a bit from album to album, but while the overall run from 74 through 90 was bumpy, it showed a pretty consistent average nonetheless. By contrast, it is widely consensus (though not my personal opinion) that Maiden's 80s albums were great, their 90s albums shit, and their reunion albums mediocre.

If you want to compare the two albums, sure, feel free, but that's not a statement of consistency over a discography. You're inventing a rubric that conveniently fits your narrative by dicing a potentially-coherent argument into infinitesimal meaningless yet true premises.

In any case, Caught Somewhere in Time is a boring overly-repetitive song, worse than anything on Turbo aside from Parental Guidance. Heaven Can Wait is also pretty ugly with its ham-fisted vocal melodies and another repetitive chorus (though the bridge section is excellent), and worse than anything on Turbo aside from Parental Guidance. Seventh Son is a pretty weak album; The Evil That Men Do is worse than anything on Jugulator, let alone Turbo, and on the whole it has a disturbing lack of meaningful riffs.

"Uninterrupted" is another meaningless and arbitrary rubric; Priest changed quite a bit from album to album, but while the overall run from 74 through 90 was bumpy, it showed a pretty consistent average nonetheless. By contrast, it is widely consensus (though not my personal opinion) that Maiden's 80s albums were great, their 90s albums shit, and their reunion albums mediocre.

You offer nothing but talking about albums and years no one is talking about.

If you like Turbo, it's ok, but it's a pretty hated/disliked album.

Point of Entry is considered their first clear sellout attempt and thus, is ignored at best, hated at worst.

British Steel is considered commercial, mediocre, at best decent.

Ram it Down is inconsistent as hell, also usually called mediocre, hated for some.

No 80's Maiden album has that kind of treatment. See what I'm talking about?

I think British Steel rules, it might be commercial but it's one of the best commercial metal albums I can think of that isn't a plastic piece of crap. It's heavy, catchy, memorable for the most part, easy to get into but also rewards repeat listening. It's almost as if it's so overrated and taken for granted that it has become underrated.

You offer nothing but talking about albums and years no one is talking about.

If you like Turbo, it's ok, but it's a pretty hated/disliked album.

Point of Entry is considered their first clear sellout attempt and thus, is ignored at best, hated at worst.

British Steel is considered commercial, mediocre, at best decent.

Ram it Down is inconsistent as hell, also usually called mediocre, hated for some.

No 80's Maiden album has that kind of treatment. See what I'm talking about?

Turbo is made fun of, it's not that widely hated. Point of Entry is ignored and considered weak, yes, it's not really hated. Virtual XI is hated, Maiden fanboys aside. There is no comparing a song like The Angel and the Gambler with some goofy sellout pop metal.

Also, British Steel is considered a classic in most corners of the world (in-crowd metal forums aside), and produced two massive radio hits as well as a couple more mainstays in their setlists. Being purely objective, it is far more reknowned than the Di'Anno albums or the synth-Maiden albums. In fact, even Iron Maiden themselves consider Somewhere in Time to be weak (aside from Adrian Smith I'd imagine since he wrote almost half of it), they "lost" (probably destroyed) the live footage of that period because it was embarrassing to them, and they ignore most of the songs in concert aside from Wasted Years. But objectivity and consensus are gay so none of that matters. Even though Killers is my joint-favorite with Piece of Mind, many plebs on the internet call it Fillers and it is generally considered a weak link in the 80s albums.

Dumb argument. Both albums suck syphilitic 'squatch balls.

Are you HP Lovecraft?

I think British Steel rules, it might be commercial but it's one of the best commercial metal albums I can think of that isn't a plastic piece of crap. It's heavy, catchy, memorable for the most part, easy to get into but also rewards repeat listening. It's almost as if it's so overrated and taken for granted that it has become underrated.

Definitely. A bunch of radio hits but Rapid Fire and Steeler are as heavy as anything they've done, and The Rage is one of their ultimate hidden gems.

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
Virtual XI's equivalent would be Demolition, which is pure horseshit.

This burger guy is funny. Defending widely trashed albums like POE and Turbo, but shitting on universally praised albums like SIT, Maiden's debut and Killers. Just wow.

Turbo is made fun of, it's not that widely hated..

Turbo is a laughingstock of an album and that's what most metal fans have considered it since the day it came out, nothing will change that. Why do you think its made fun of? Because people like it? Lulz.

British Steel is considered a classic in most corners of the world (in-crowd metal forums aside),

British Steel
is considered a classic by the casual metal fan who would probably have a hard timer naming you more than 10-15 metal bands. Most seasoned metalheads think of it as above average at best ...

two massive radio hits as well as a couple more mainstays in their setlists..
..."radio hits" yeah, pretty much confirms what i just said

Being purely objective, it is far more reknowned than the Di'Anno albums or the synth-Maiden albums..
yes, it is more renowned because it is more popular ... again, back to what i just said.

Even though Killers is my joint-favorite with Piece of Mind, many plebs on the internet call it Fillers and it is generally considered a weak link in the 80s albums..
most people knock on the first two albums because most people are casuals. No one self-respecting metal fan would trash those two album. Who on this forum has shitted on them?

Stop letting your love for the band and that shitty album blind you form the truth man

giphy.gif

lmao the steppe mutt that can't listen to Priest because Halford makes his peepee feel funny thinks he knows something about Priest

Virtual XI's equivalent would be Demolition, which is pure horseshit.

This burger guy is funny. Defending widely trashed albums like POE and Turbo, but shitting on universally praised albums like SIT, Maiden's debut and Killers. Just wow.

Demolition is great. fwiw I like Somewhere in Time a lot overall, but that's because the highs more than cancel out the lows. It's probably their 7th best album, after the first five and No Prayer.

lmao the steppe mutt that can't listen to Priest because Halford makes his peepee feel funny thinks he knows something about Priest
The inbred filth that doesnt know the difference between mountains and flatlands cant talk about priest without letting his early/pre-TB era casualism take over. Im pointing out facts you imbecile, ones that you evidently cant even argue against. And btw there are plenty of Priest tracks i love, and im not a fan of either of those bands on a whole ... but i never let me feelings and bias get in the way of stating the truth, unlike yourself you dumb bitch.

"THEY DONT DISLIKE THE ALBUMZZ, THEY JUST MADEZ FUNZ OF ITZ :lol: this is what happens when siblings mate.

I based mine on my top 5 or so albums from each year. Double checked it but looks right. '83 vs '86 was a close battle. Mercyful Fate, some NWOBHM favourites and Kill 'Em All combined their powers to throw out the rest of the thrash.

'84 was my pick. maybe not the deepest year but my favourite top 10-20 albums i think. hard to even imagine experiencing a year when releases this good were coming out multiple times per month.

cirith ungol - king of the dead
saint vitus - saint vitus
jag panzer - ample destruction
destruction - sentence of death
metallica - ride the lightning
gotham city - the unknown
mercyful fate - don't break the oath
queensryche - the warning
trouble - psalm 9
manowar - hail to england
celtic frost - morbid tales
iron maiden - powerslave
manowar - sign of the hammer
omen - battle cry
running wild - gates of purgatory
slayer - haunting the chapel
voivod - war and pain
hellhammer - apocalyptic raids
overkill - s/t
dark age - s/t

GMD's Top Ten Years of the 1980's
10)

1981.png

1) Iron Maiden - Killers | 119.5 from 15 votes
2) Cirith Ungol - Frost & Fire | 95.5 from 13 votes
3) Black Sabbath - Mob Rules | 89.5 from 14 votes
4) Venom - Welcome to Hell | 84.5 from 15 votes
5) Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman | 64.5 from 12 votes
6) Holocaust - The Nightcomers | 55 from 8 votes
7) Riot - Fire Down Under | 53.5 from 11 votes
8) Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound | 42 from 8 votes
9) Saracen - Heroes, Saints & Fools | 41 from 8 votes
10) Judas Priest - Point of Entry | 39 from 8 votes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11) Saxon - Denim and Leather | 36.5 from 8 votes
12) Heavy Load - Metal Conquest | 25 from 4 votes
13) Girlschool - Hit and Run | 21 from 5 votes
14) Samson - Shock Tactics | 16 from 3 votes
15) Legend - Legend | 14 from 3 votes
16) Praying Mantis - Time Tells No Lies | 13 from 2 votes
17) Mistreater - Hell's Fire | 12 from 2 votes
18) Accept - Breaker | 11.5 from 4 votes
19) Demon - Night of the Demon | 11 from 2 votes
=20) Gaskin - End of the World | 10 from 2 votes
=20) AC/DC - For Those About To Rock | 10 from 1 vote

another meh year. not enough releases to even make it interesting =/

This isn't a particularly great year - the limited amount of actual metal albums means that there won't be many surprises here. Still some good stuff, of course

Surprised to see Point of Entry making lists, not sure if that's indication of its quality or simply because there aren't that many releases to pick from. I don't remember it being particularly great, but I'll be sure to give it a relisten.

It's a shame, it's a good album and one of the closest things to thrash I can find from that year. Very similar to Motorhead's speed metal material.

You can see how thrash developed from this year though. Combine Killer, Venom, and The Exploited albums from 1981 and voila you have thrash.

it really is remarkable how many songs from 1981 are a variation on LIVE IN THE MOMENT SEIZE THE DAY YOLO

Chosen by:
Bloopy (#5)

Slayed Necros (#8)
HamburgerBoy (#9)
Slammed (#9)

-CC- (#10)
Baroque (#10)
CiG (#10)

no country for old wainds (#10)
zerostatic (#10)
TOTAL: 18 POINTS