god DAMN but The Mist is a terrifying story

VangelicSurgeon

Three Star General
Jul 26, 2002
www.maudlinofthewell.com
maybe not the best written story in the world but jeeeeez. Still frightens me. Imagine this beast chopping you in half:

00057.jpg

yeah, i always enjoyed this one, even while king was crashing and burning out of vogue, or however you'd want to call public sentiment against him during the late 80's.

he seriously touches upon so many suburbanite fear pressure points during those pages. he really pulled something off here. the brief allegories to a vengeful god coming down out of the sky during the opening scenes still stick with me.

i remember hearing that this was his most requested movie.

wasn't it a cheap/text computer game, too?

it was an awesome text adventure, one of only two i fully remember playing as a kid; about two years ago i actually found it online and spent a few hours playing it (and dying horribly each time).

i like how he only hinted that it was a MILITARY EXPERIMENT INTO OTHER DIMENSIONS gone awry. and ended it so abruptly!

absolutely. and i recall an interview, where he was saying the idea for the story was based on a moment when he was shopping in the supermarket with his son, who was 5 or 6 at the time, and he clearly envisioned a pteranadon crashing throw the window and sputtering up the aisle.

i admit, i like mid-era stephen king anthologies a LOT.

in fact just yesterday i was discussing that story that takes place on a sand-planet in the future and there's a tread-legged cap'n and living, psychic sand. skeleton crew, right?

i remember that story. i always said, and i am still going to say, that those are his two best books.

i had no qualms about listening to audio books when i worked a horrible state (DMV) job more than a few years ago, and i was very much into Nightmares and Dreamscapes, despite the title. the stories were on par with Night Shift, i'd say. and the actors were pretty durned good.

by the time Nightmares & Dreamscapes came out, I was into the Dark Tower stuff, but i thought it was very good. maybe, through much re-reading, i would have rekindled my love for King short stories, but once Insomnia came out and put the nail in the Stephen King coffin for me once and for all, N&D didn't have much of a chance.

Gerald's Game put me in the mode ready to hate Insomnia (which was about old farts), but I wasn't capable of hating Gerald's Game yet; I was in a mode of deep Stephen King fandom, and also I think there's ONE good part in Gerald's Game (when the mutant guy she saw lurking at the foot of her bed TURNED OUT TO BE REAL; i don't know why i didn't, but i seriously didn't see that coming). as opposed to NONE in Insomnia.

well, this is going to further cement my cruggunkity image, but that part of GG invoked a "well, duh" feeling in me, something that only Clive Barker stories instilled. up until that point.

and it's hard to explain. i guess the closest i can get to it is that there's this kind of random, almost device-ish concept thrown in there that completely sucks the life out of an otherwise singular tension to the story.

and i think that could be super cool, but for some reason he didn't pull it off. eh, in my opinion.

i can't even cite a CB example to back up my sentiment. damn.

also, why is it that every single internet "indie" station i switch to is SATURATED with shitty, shitty, shit shit white stripes filth?

what are you talking about, FG? the mangler story was GREAT and the movie was damn good, too.

and nick, yeah, i think objectively the story should've done that to me, but because of my (at that point, fading) fandom and also, i think BECAUSE of the shittiness of the book (i had stopped expecting anything interesting to happen in it at all by the end), it impressed me.

yeah, i can see that viewpoint, xfer. something happened to me at that stage which made me hate him, i'm forgetting what. but i never explored the dark tower stuff.

so no matter what happened in GG (oddly enough, thrust at me by my bondage-obsessed college roommate), it was unsalvageable in my head.

have you, or josh, or anyone, been following king's post-auto-pocalyptic behavior? is he losing it? i thought i heard something to that effect.

i dont know--i seriously COMPLETELY broke with king 1/3 of the way through Insomnia. the only exceptions: the dark tower books, which i continue to read (wizard and glass, meh, but still better than a lot of his other stuff) and the Green Mile, which I read out of spite so I could criticize the movie (which I never ended up seeing). aside form that an occasional late-night jokes about crazy van drivers plowing into him, King could be dead for all i know.