god DAMN but The Mist is a terrifying story

FG, i thought THE MANGLER was kind of cool for that reason alone. something completely implausible, preposterously so. it worked, at least for me, if viewed from that perspective.

xfer, i only saw the Green Mile, and actually sort of liked it. the execution scene was really upsetting.

also, stoatschool.

well i liked the movie for the same reason i liked the Ninth Gate: even if there are big storytelling flaws, the movie remains cool and interesting due to the handling of the subject matter (rare book devil shit, occultism, etc.) and, in the cased of the Mangler, the characters: the PI (who was Buffallo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, right?) and his Jesus-lookin', nerdy, occult-loving brother. and Robert Englund as an over-the-top, sneery Satanist!

was this the polanski film with johnny depp?

i barely remember it except for the goddamn double-exposure ending, if that's what we're talking about

holy shit the mangler was SO GOOD. "The Hand of Glory I was worried about, I don't mind telling you...thanks god there's no chance any of THAT fell in there..." And the boogeyman, MWAH. his short story books are phenomenal, even the newest one, the name escapes me right now. I've been lying around nursing my hangover and reading skeleton crew, now I want to pick up N&D...that story Rainy Season is so terrifying not to mention Crouch End, which gave me nightmares even as a teenager. I'm so happy this thread took off.

oh and The Jaunt. GAUH!

I just re-read insomnia and it's good, but very cartoonish. In fact I think it would make an excellent animated film.

the jaunt!

crouch end was my favourite stephen king story for a time; i read it in some Cthulhu compendium before N&D came out, and it was heavily edited for N&D, i seem to recall. and i didn't like it as much, but i still liked it.

dude: JERUSALEM'S LOT. awesome short story.

xfer said:
in fact just yesterday i was discussing that story that takes place on a sand-planet in the future and there's a tread-legged cap'n and living, psychic sand. skeleton crew, right?

I remember that one...either he cannot write science fiction, or didn't want to attempt writing sci-fi that is even slightly plausible. :)

well, i understand that demonspell means that fiction (not just science fiction) generally has to have verisimilitude in order to be good.

however, i don't think that story didn't have verisimilitude.