God, please help my tone! (5150)

TheCrazySlasher

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2005
My tone is awful. I can't seem to get that girthy distortion that the 5150 is known for.

I run a Fender Strat w/a hotrail in the bridge,chandler in the neck into the 5150. It comes out so god damn hairy/spongey sounding. So, I ran a lexicon mpx-g2 w/the built in tube screamer and a little verb into it, still, garbage. I'm not a big fan of the lexicon and i'm pretty unhappy with my recent purchase. Not too mention, I want to go with a fairly barebones setup and not have to worry about much aside from stomping on a few pedals.

I've read, on this forum, about the Maxxon. Is this something that will help me clean up my sound.

I play death metal by the way and am looking for a tone somewhat similar to in flames/arch enemy etc...something heavy, warm, and cuts through.

I know a lot of you are extremley good at this stuff so I figured I'd give it a shot and hopefully someone here will help me!

Thanks a bunch!

Can you post a clip? If you're a newbie at this sort of stuff here are some pointers to give you a head start: First, you don't need as much pre gain as you may think you do--play hard and tight and the distortion will come from your fingers. Try a tube screamer to cut out some of the mud. And buy EMG pickups--they'll make you sound better right off the bat!

Also remember to keep playing with it. Mic position, distortion levels, etc. More to come...

I would agree that using EMGs are key. The 81 and 85 have that very distinct sound with the 5150 -- I think they work well with the amp. You can always pre or post EQ to get closer to that sound without changing pickups, but you don't want to polish a turd either. What speakers are you using? Is your amp stock or modded? Also, maybe it's time for some new tubes if you are getting inconsistent tone or the sound seems awkward.

Aria said:
I would agree that using EMGs are key. The 81 and 85 have that very distinct sound with the 5150 -- I think they work well with the amp. You can always pre or post EQ to get closer to that sound without changing pickups, but you don't want to polish a turd either. What speakers are you using? Is your amp stock or modded? Also, maybe it's time for some new tubes if you are getting inconsistent tone or the sound seems awkward.

I totally agree. The speakers are key. Don't underestimate the power of good speakers. I was using the peavey cab with the 5150 and it sounded good but didn't sound great until I used the mesa cab. Try other cones too as some sound better than others, even on the same cab.

i play guitar in a band w/him and he hasnt recorded it yet. the distortion sounds very thick but not chunky. the cab he is using is a randall 2x15...he was using a 70's ampeg 4x12 loaded w/vintage 30's..(sorry to impede dave :tickled: )

TheCrazySlasher said:
My tone is awful. I can't seem to get that girthy distortion that the 5150 is known for.

I run a Fender Strat w/a hotrail in the bridge,chandler in the neck into the 5150. It comes out so god damn hairy/spongey sounding. So, I ran a lexicon mpx-g2 w/the built in tube screamer and a little verb into it, still, garbage. I'm not a big fan of the lexicon and i'm pretty unhappy with my recent purchase. Not too mention, I want to go with a fairly barebones setup and not have to worry about much aside from stomping on a few pedals.

I've read, on this forum, about the Maxxon. Is this something that will help me clean up my sound.

I play death metal by the way and am looking for a tone somewhat similar to in flames/arch enemy etc...something heavy, warm, and cuts through.

I know a lot of you are extremley good at this stuff so I figured I'd give it a shot and hopefully someone here will help me!

Thanks a bunch!

you cant go wrong with the maxxon, or a screamer, emg 85, 5150 and vintage 30's... also that lexicon is actually a kickass unit, i know a few dudes with one...im actually saving up to get one myself.

Add a maxxon or a tube screamher in the front as a clean boost. It will definitely help. As far as the cab the 2x15s probably push too much low end. If your playing LOUD ... back off on the gain a bit, with the maxxon or tube screamer in front you shouldnt need more than the gain on 4 ... 6 MAXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!

Id suggest going back to a 4 x12 with some celst 75's, but it may not be in the budget. Marshall is my personal pref, but i defeintiely think the 15s woof too much and loosens the low end, that might be part of the problem

Da Fukn Guru

Yeah its hard when you ask for perfect tone, but dont have the cash for good pickups, and other accessories. You need a good 4/12 speaker cab with 30's or 75's and you need those EMG's or a good passive like the Dimarzio Evolution. A Hot Rails wont do! Want pro tone? Get the gear the pros use.

Colin