Godhead's Lament

harvest_moon

The Progmaster General
Nov 15, 2004
hey folks

Im pretty sure we all have a good idea of the concept in Still Life, and although Im pretty satisfied with my interpretation of it, I canne for the life o me garner even the least of understanding of the meaning behind Godheads Lament! what is he going on about searing beams tracking our protagonist down, arrg and 'what would they care if i did stay?' That bit sounds so epic and flows beautifully, but I have no idea what it means. Well I know that one should not ask these sort of questions beacuse lyrics are all a matter of subjective opinion, so sorry if i piss anyone off but...
anyone?

Okay. Taken seriously...

From the FAQ:

'Still Life' was not Satanic but an anti-Christian theme. It sounds pretty naive when I explain it like this. It kind of takes place a long time ago when Christianity had a bigger importance than it has today. The main character is kind of banished from his hometown because he hasn't got the same faith as the rest of the inhabitants there. The album pretty much starts off when he is returning after several years to hook up with his old "babe." Obviously a lot of bad things start happening with, as I call it on the album, "the council." The big bosses of the town know that he's back. A lot of bad things start happening. They see him as a hypocrite in a way. It's almost like a devil's advocate or whatever it's called.

Taking that into consideration and then expanding on it...this is just my opinion, of course...

Marauder
Staining the soil, midst of stillness
Beloved fraternity to an end
Red eyes probe the scene
All the same
Stilted for the beholder
Depravity from the core
Handcarved death in stoneladen aisles

It's established here that the narrator is not welcome. He's a marauder, no longer a part of the fraternity he once shared, presumably with others in his village. His very presence is sacrilegious and "staining" because he doesn't share the beliefs of the villagers.

I hide the scars from my past
Yet they sense my (mute) dirge
This is when it all falls apart
White hands grasping for straws

Here I would argue that the narrator, upon his return, at first attempts to blend back in. But he can't hide his past. I think the "(mute) dirge" is a reference to his own beliefs, which conflict with, and possibly prove false, those of the villagers. "Dirge" to me connotes a funeral, implying that the narrator's ideas would disprove the faith of the village, thereby killing it?

Sly smile, poisoned glare behind
Undisguised manmade nova
Mute cry, don't dare to tread
Searing beams tracking you down

This seems to me to be a warning from the narrator to himself as he realizes that he can't conceal his past. The "searing beams" tracking him down would then be the people who previously oppressed him, galvanized by religious righteousness--hence "beams," which immediately made me think of light. The villagers believe themselves to be the light opposing the darkness in a battle between good and evil. Again, this is just my take on all this.

Adoring what never has been
Some will bring with them all they have seen

"Adoring what has never been." To me, this is a pretty obvious jab at Christianity and the existence of God. The villagers, in practicing Christianity, are adoring a God that has "never been"--in other words, that is nonexistent.

Searching my way to perplexion
The gleam of her eyes
In that moment she knew

I'm assuming this is a reference to the one and only Melinda--perhaps the moment when she first sees him back in town? The "perplexion," then, would be hers--why would her lover have returned if they banished him. Then there is the instant recognition--"In that moment she knew." Melinda realizes that he's come back to be with her.

Thought I could not leave this place
On this imminent day
As I've reached the final dawn
To what's gone astray
What would they care if I did stay
No-one would know
No-one should know

On this imminent day
To what's gone astray
No-one would know
No-one should know

Assuming Mikael didn't just include this part so we could all hear it and think he was singing "What would they care if I was gay?"...Here I would argue that you could interpret things several ways. Either his reference to "leaving" means the first time he was banished, or the fact that they are going to kick him out again (I don't know that they are, but it's definitely not implausible considering their earlier response.) The second part, also, could be taken two ways. Either the villagers really would not care if he returned, or they would care, but he is going to try and be inconspicuous so that "no one should know." I am assuming that he either doesn't want them to know he's returned, or doesn't want them to know his beliefs have not changed.

Still brooding, soothing calm
That rigid, twisted face
Blank godhead, tear my name
Lost virtue, frantic lust

I see "blank godhead" as further reference to the falsehood of Christianity and more specifically God. The dictionary I checked defines the word Godhead (capitalized) as either "the supreme being of God" or "godhood," in other words, being a god. I think the meaning here is the former, and it is therefore interesting to me that "godhead" isn't capitalized in the lyrics. More denial of the legitimacy of Christianity, I suppose.

The part that confuses me somewhat is the line "Lost virtue, frantic lust." At first I assumed this had something to do with the narrator's desire for Melinda, but reading the lyrics again, his feelings for Melinda seem deeper and more pure than simple lust. I think this line is actually referring, again, to the people of his village. They've lost any virtue inherent in their beliefs through their "frantic lust" to force everyone else, the narrator included, to think the way they do. In other words, by proselytizing they've missed the point.

Undisguised manmade nova

Adoring what never has been
Some will bring with them all they have seen

This part is the same as earlier in the song and my interpretation of it is also the same...

In crumbling faith I saw her
Bearing her pain in the wilderness
The gleam of her eyes
In that moment she knew

This final stanza is similar to the one that came earlier. I still think "her" refers to Melinda, but I think the meaning has changed. I think the perplexion is Melinda's because her faith is crumbling (presumably the narrator's beliefs have undermined and contradicted her own beliefs), but the line "bearing her pain in the wilderness" leads me to believe that she's not going to act on her newfound enlightenment. "In that moment she knew" seems to me to be referring to the moment she realizes everything she has been taught by the village is a lie.

I'm not sure why this is, but I get the distinct impression that the narrator wants Melinda to come away with him, and she knows he's right but for some reason cannot or will not leave. He loves her; I'm assuming from Mike's explanation of the album in the FAQ that she loves him too. So the "pain" she's "bearing" is probably that of being separated from him. Her eyes are gleaming--tears, perhaps?

Like I said, this is just my opinion. Actually, now that I took the time to type this all out, I'm really interested in hearing what other people think this song means...

On this imminent day
To what's gone astray
No-one would know
No-one should know

i interpret this as the protagonist going into melinda's home and confronting her with the truth. as the dawn approaches, he thinks about the consequences of his action and maybe ponders spending the night at melinda's :D this would also explain

The gleam of her eyes
In that moment she knew

where she runs away into the forest to clear her head :p

prowlergrig said:
The gleam of her eyes
In that moment she knew

where she runs away into the forest to clear her head :p
mm, i think that's too literal an interpretation...also i always thought of "in crumbling faith" as referring to the narrator

Sanzen said:
"What would they care, if I was gay. No one would know, hooooooommmooooo"

So, in answer to your question, I don't know.

lol

cthulufhtagn said:
i always thought of "in crumbling faith" as referring to the narrator
why ? his faith had crumbled long before. maybe it's not referring to melinda's faith in god, more to her faith in her husband and in the life she had chosen to live after the protagonist's departure

A few things...

NeverIsForever said:
I hide the scars from my past
Yet they sense my (mute) dirge
This is when it all falls apart
White hands grasping for straws

Here I would argue that the narrator, upon his return, at first attempts to blend back in. But he can't hide his past. I think the "(mute) dirge" is a reference to his own beliefs, which conflict with, and possibly prove false, those of the villagers. "Dirge" to me connotes a funeral, implying that the narrator's ideas would disprove the faith of the village, thereby killing it?
Heh i dont think hes about to 'kill' the village...his 'dirge' is just his quiet loathing of everything that it stands for (whether outwardly or actually, as i get the feeling from this cd that these "christians" are really just assholes who explain away their own evil lives behind the facade of God). The "fall apart" line is that his plan to get his woman back will be down the toilet if they spot him...and the white hands bit i take to mean that the villagers are seeking to blame someone else, anything else, for their own wretched lives...and he fits the bill nicely.

Undisguised manmade nova

This seems to me to be a warning from the narrator to himself as he realizes that he can't conceal his past. The "searing beams" tracking him down would then be the people who previously oppressed him, galvanized by religious righteousness--hence "beams," which immediately made me think of light. The villagers believe themselves to be the light opposing the darkness in a battle between good and evil. Again, this is just my take on all this.
Yeah, this first bit to me is how everyone is so duplicitous, and how he thinks that everyone has spotted him, but is faking like they havn't. Can anyone confirm what 'nova' means? I just took it as similar to ugliness/hatred.
I think this next bit is actually him sneaking past at nighttime, the 'searing beams' being the torches night watchmen carry. And if hes spotted (if he makes any noise, or dares to tread at the wrong moment), hes buggered.

The gleam of her eyes
In that moment she knew

I'm assuming this is a reference to the one and only Melinda--perhaps the moment when she first sees him back in town? The "perplexion," then, would be hers--why would her lover have returned if they banished him. Then there is the instant recognition--"In that moment she knew." Melinda realizes that he's come back to be with her.

I think the perplexion is still his...hes just getting really confused about his whole experience being back

Still brooding, soothing calm
That rigid, twisted face
Blank godhead, tear my name
Lost virtue, frantic lust

I see "blank godhead" as further reference to the falsehood of Christianity and more specifically God. The dictionary I checked defines the word Godhead (capitalized) as either "the supreme being of God" or "godhood," in other words, being a god. I think the meaning here is the former, and it is therefore interesting to me that "godhead" isn't capitalized in the lyrics. More denial of the legitimacy of Christianity, I suppose.

The part that confuses me somewhat is the line "Lost virtue, frantic lust." At first I assumed this had something to do with the narrator's desire for Melinda, but reading the lyrics again, his feelings for Melinda seem deeper and more pure than simple lust. I think this line is actually referring, again, to the people of his village. They've lost any virtue inherent in their beliefs through their "frantic lust" to force everyone else, the narrator included, to think the way they do. In other words, by proselytizing they've missed the point.

I think this is more about the leader/authority figure(s) of the village trying to be Gods themselves. So yeah, the village knows hes back...and they are planning to kill him (the symbolism of 'tear my name'). I think the line about 'lost virtue, frantic lust' means that in the past he had a forbidden love with Melinda, probably why he was kicked out.

Trey Parker said:
LOL-Doggie.jpg

Look at that dog's tongue! haha!

prowlergrig said:
why ? his faith had crumbled long before. maybe it's not referring to melinda's faith in god, more to her faith in her husband and in the life she had chosen to live after the protagonist's departure
i dunno, maybe it's his faith in her

the_3_toed_sloth said:
A few things...

Heh i dont think hes about to 'kill' the village...

No, me either. Lmao...I should have been more specific! :Spin: I was referring to their faith, which I mentioned in the same sentence, not the villagers themselves. As in, his beliefs prove theirs wrong...although it would be kind of funny if he suddenly turned homicidal in the middle of the song...

On this imminent day
To what's gone astray
No-one would know
No-one should know

Definitly my favorite mellow/acoustic/folk part from any Opeth song. It's fucking perfect.