Godsend question

Animal

Nov 18, 2003
Dark side of the moon
Visit site
Surfing some metal messageboards to find mention of this band, which Swano sings on. So i was wondering, is it the whole album, or a few songs? Is it anygood? And what siort of doom music, are we talking My dying bride slow and heavy funeral march, or Solitude Aeturnus/Candlemass epic?
Thanx

There are two Godsend albums that Dan appeared on: As The Shadows Fall (1993) and A Wayfaerer's Tears (1996?). Dan does all the vocals on both albums, as a guest musician. His vocals sound fine, but I am not a fan of the music he had to sing over, which isn't surprising, because Dan wasn't responsible for the songwriting on either album. One of the only Dan-related projects I could never really get into.

As for the comparisons, I dunno, it's not slow/plodding doom by any means, it's kinda upbeat in places. And the second album has a few pro-Christianity messages in it, which may offend/turn away some folks. Check them out, they aren't bad...just not my thing.

@Animal

I don't know how to make comparrison to the bands you've mentioned, but I've owned both Godsend albums for a long time, and like both of them. I pull them out every now and then still. I recommend "As the Shadows Fall" - very good work in all aspects. There ARE slow/plodding doom songs on the alubum, as well as more upbeat tracks (Don't mistake this with "happy"), yet it all goes together nicely if you listen to the album straight through.

Sounds good, only reason i'm asking is that I've been burnt a few times with blind purchases involving doomish music, some have nearly put me to sleep.
by the sounds of it I'll try "as the shadows fall" first.

I have bought "A wayfarer's tears" first. A blind purchase cause I only know Swano under Edge of Sanity where he was growling. But this album wasn't so. Missed the growls also. But I listened and listened again and found thats one of the best clear vocal doomish album I have ever heared.
It fits nice to some books I read together.

I love "A Wayfarer's Tears"! Great writing, nice and different than Dan's own stuff, but still has his touch in the vocals (of course). The soft songs on it are classic :)

That's the smart way to go. Neither of these two albums are the type that will hit you as being great right away, like Sturmbringer says. Give Shadows several listens and if you decide you don't like it at all, you cerainly won't like A Wayfaerer's Tears. It seems to me you you'd either enjoy both or neither. I had just listened to Shadows about 10 days ago, now thanks to this thread I'm gonna pull out A Wayferers's Tears. =)