Gojira - Free Willy Metal

so did anyone hear the new one?

first few tracks bored me a bit and I forgot to listen to the rest ... until last night in the car ... when the track "The Art of dying" completely blew my nuts off.

will need some time with this one.

Had it for a couple of weeks now - generally sounds like refinement of the elements that made up 'From Mars To Sirius', with the odd moment of experimentation here and there (like 'A Sight To Behold' - still can't decide whether I hate this track or not, oddly). Definitely needs more time to sink in.

so these dudes scored an opening slot on the latest US Metallica tour. That's pretty great for them.

on off-nights they are playing headlinging gigs in small clubs ... and the lurch scored tickets to see them in Brooklyn.
Gojira's huge sound trapped in a small club is going to be shit storm blowing. Can't wait!

Holy shit this show was amazing. My old man neck is destroyed from headbanging. The crowd was rabid and the band ate it up.
Sound was IMMENSE, LOUD, yet crystal clear.
These fuckers looked so happy to play a small club after just opening for Metallica the night before.
I can't describe the immense vibe of this band and all the fortunes they deserve. This was my second time seeing them live and they are consumate pros.
It must have been the fact that only hardcore fans came out on this Monday evening that made this show so sick.
Mario and Joe even dove into the crowd at the end of the set. Never seen that happen before ...
Got some pics and even a setlist photo from the lightman.
Will post later when my head clears ...

that was a great performance last night.. first time seeing Gojira live and they have completely won me over. Best performance I've attended in a long time

Aurel, it was really cool hanging out with you guys :headbang:

before the show with the dudes. ( Ali was right. i am this guy -> :loco: )
IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

They played the exact same set that Aurel posted, fucking HEAVY as SHIT, Goddamn! Such an amazing show, this band is unrivaled in its stage performance in my opinion.

yeah, you don't get to be on major national tours if you don't have the chops.

I was telling the guys I was with yesterday that if I was in a band and saw the level of intensity and precision these guys play with, I would probably really need to step up band practice time. They're just a machine.

One thing though ... I would be curious how this stuff translates in big arenas when they play with Metallica. Something tells me, not so well. Their stage presence and intensity needs the intimacy of a smaller place.

WHERE DRAGONS DWELL from the Brooklyn gig (not my video)
I think I fucked my neck up during the ending of this song.

Last edited by a moderator:
just found this from a few nights before opening for Metallica in Montreal ... you would think the Frenchies would give them a welcoming reception.
but look at that deer in headlights crowd ... even the band seems low energy. what a difference from the night I've seen them

and one from Indi ... how can you NOT have at least a toe tap reaction to Flying Whales?

Yea, seeing them in a huge arena venue does not do justice to those songs. Crammed into an 8x10 club with 100 people is the way to go, so much more energy.

found some old demo tracks ... totally different sound.

this track has some weird, Possessed, Voivod, Slayer total rip-offage vibe to it but still :kickass: