Gojira - Free Willy Metal

J. said:
Metal Observer: "GOJIRA possess distinct modern elements and can be compared to a host of peers. I hear FEAR FACTORY during the latter half of “Ocean Planet” and STRAPPING YOUNG LAD in “The Heaviest Matter Of The Universe.” MASTODON are included, too, as well as a production reminiscent of MESHUGGAH. The approach is uncannily similar to that of their predecessors, therefore “From Mars To Sirius” showcases a band neck-deep in aggression and MESHUGGAH-esque mind-fuckery."

That's me. :Smug:

J. said:
EDIT: listened to a sample. cant stand that stop/start nonsense for very long. sounds semi-meshuggah-ish. the comparisons are justified.

I hear a lot of Meshuggah in Gojira, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Gojira sound like Meshuggah. If someone liked Meshuggah and wanted another band to listen to, I'd point them in the direction of Gojira (and vice-versa), though they're quite different from one another if dissected exhaustively.

oh yeah ... and the song above, FLYING WHALES, the beginning part ... I guess that could lead to ISIS as a comparison

oh man ... this is going to be great if they don't fuck it up ... :kickass:

Guitarist/vocalist Joe Duplantier of the French progressive death metallers GOJIRA will play bass on the debut CD from the new project featuring SEPULTURA founding members Max and Igor Cavalera. Recordings for the album began this past weekend in Los Angeles with producers Dirty Icon (Logan Mader [ex-MACHINE HEAD, SOULFLY] and Lucas Banker). A late 2007 release via Roadrunner Records is expected.

Commented Duplantier: "Playing with Max and Igor is like living a dream, I've always had so much respect for their musical achievements; it is an incredible personal experience for me."

In a recent interview posted on SOULFLY's official web site, Max stated about his collaboration with Igor, "I think it's sounding like a combination of things I've done with NAILBOMB and SEPULTURA, and even SOULFLY, of course, but these songs are coming to be more live on the spot. I recorded some simple four-tracks for a lot of them, similar to the ones that people may have heard through the SOULFLY MySpace, and I sent out a CD to everybody about a month ago with like 10 songs, but at that time I didn't even know exactly who else I'd be working with in the project. I knew that Igor would be doing drums and percussion, and I'd be doing vocals and guitar. Now Marc Rizzo is going to be playing lead guitar and and the [guitarist] and vocalist from GOJIRA will help us out to give it a bit of a different vibe. I like GOJIRA a lot — they're a fucking kick-ass band. It's a special album for me because it's a very global group of musicians. One from France [from GOJIRA], one from the U.S., and two from Brasil. I think that's going to add something very cool, even trippy, and definitely my style."

Adrian and Mike are you still going to this? I haven't put in a time off request for that particular day so I'm leaning towards nay myself. Adrian you can have my ticket.

When/where/how/what/why? I was drunk when you told me about it, and I'm currently too foolish to check Ticketbastard meself.

Oh yeah, we're going to see Enslaved next month at the Galaxy, FYI and such. Tickets arrived yesterday. :headbang:

EDIT: I should find the MIKE PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE!!! thread.

I think I'm going to the airport that night. It might be Thursday though, but either way the woman's sister is in town and I likely have to play host that evening. No complaints, she's awesome.

So I doubt I'm going, dammit. I still need to see these fuckers some day.