Gojira - Free Willy Metal

With all your bass talk have you listend to Arghoslent? My guess is yea...but still worth the mention!

I just can't comprehend how a fan of metal can't like Gojira. I'm actually being serious.

I don't really think JayK would like it. They're too modern. I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm just being honest. JayK likes an authentic classic feel to most of his stuff, and Gojira doesn't have near enough of it. Which is why they're so great.

I listened to the track NADs posted, I kinda agree with Doomcifer, I wasnt to impressed by it. Its certainly not bad, and I like the section about 4 minutes into it, but it dosent make me want to hunt down the album too much.

These guys are a handbook of technical accuracy, but the melodic component of their music sounds tried too hard. They will get better, for now i'm not impressed either.

hmmm, that was ok...the kinda band i'd see live and bang my head and go "allright that was decent" but it didn't really strike me as anything special...

Nate The Great said:
I don't really think JayK would like it. They're too modern. I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm just being honest. JayK likes an authentic classic feel to most of his stuff, and Gojira doesn't have near enough of it. Which is why they're so great.

Yep, but come on, I'm long in the tooth, set in my ways. :loco:

Honestly, I didn't even come into this thread until now and that's because it was the only one I hadn't read, haha. I dismissed the band on their name...."Gojira" sounds a bit too much like "Goatsblood" to me. :loco:

I'l check out the sample though for sure (tomorrow). I'll give anything a shot. Just look at that thread I started about all the "leftover" promos we had. Ugh.

KILL TULLY said:
With all your bass talk have you listend to Arghoslent? My guess is yea...but still worth the mention!
yeah but i guess i haven't been paying attention because i never really noticed the bass! i've only spun that Unadulterated Niggertry album a few times though, but i dig it.

Listening now....woah.

Not nearly as bad as I had imagined. It's all in the riffs, downtuned and heavy. Nice breakouts into melody....vocals aren't atrocious either just because at least he's *singing* somewhat, it's a good mix in there (and not just "waaah waahhh waaah" at the same fucking intonation throughout like hardcore vocalists or Mr Warrel Monoscale Dane).

It's like messy pounding guitar riffs on top of tight as fuck drumming ("Where Dragons Dwell"). I am going to listen to this a lot more, just to let it sink in.

This is def oddball for me, but hey, "Panopticon" made my top 10 list last year.

By the way, five songs in and this SHITS all over Mastodon. That's like Hate Eternal meets hardcore to me.

"The Heaviest Matter of the Universe" just kicked in....fuck!! Trey Azagthoth wants some royalties! :kickass:

I think the timing of listening to this is just right for me because I've been listening to both Isis and Morbid Angel lately.

Ahh those vocal lines at 2:56 in "The Heaviest Matter....", fuck me.

The laid back intro to "Flying Whales"....

One word, two exclamation points, and a one, all in bold: SOLD!!1

[/streamofconcisounesspost]

Man oh man, 2006...this and the new Amorphis....my seester, she is prostitute. [/borat]

No I mean, the stuff I've been listening to in 2006....but yeah, for sure, this is immediately a contender in my top 10 list of '05.

I'm not prepared to make a list yet until every single release in my top 10 list of 2005 is at least 8.5 or higher. So I might post it in July sometime. :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
No I mean, the stuff I've been listening to in 2006....but yeah, for sure, this is immediately a contender in my top 10 list of '05.

I'm not prepared to make a list yet until every single release in my top 10 list of 2005 is at least 8.5 or higher. So I might post it in July sometime. :tickled:

All of my top 10 were 8.75/10-or-higher [/yesiknowirateeverythingtoohigh]