Gojira - Free Willy Metal

The problem for me is, most of the good stuff for me (from 2005), I didn't get round to until fucking December, or even this month.

I just can't prioritize any order of preference on just a few days/weeks of listening.

For example, Helrunar is great great stuff, but it's a solid 8/10 for me right now just because it's still so new. Honestly, I've listened to it twice. Whereas Slough Feg is also an 8/10 for me and I've listened to it 100 times.

The thing about this Gojira though is that it just fucking shakes me out of my rut. There are SO many elements at play here, it's difficult to deny how powerful it is (LOUD + HEADPHONES).

wow Ali .... I am really surprised you like this ... and happy.
so do we book Gojira for NY Pink Fest 06? :loco:

I don't know how familiar you are with Voivod ... but do you see some similarities? Especially for later day Voivod?

and now that you mention it ... The Heaviest Matter of the Universe courl really be THE song that mixes Morbid Angel and Voivod with those vocal lines you mentioned .... just freaking flawless :kickass:

what's funny about this band is that these 4 feeble nice guys are making all that noise :lol:

gojirabn.jpg

lurch70 said:
wow Ali .... I am really surprised you like this ... and happy.

I'm telling you, I'm as surprised as you. Lately I've been listening to LOTS of old school death metal, and so Gojira coming along was perfect timing just because it's got so many new twists and turns.

so do we book Gojira for NY Pink Fest 06? :loco:

Gojira and Isis. Back to back.

I don't know how familiar you are with Voivod ... but do you see some similarities? Especially for later day Voivod?

and now that you mention it ... The Heaviest Matter of the Universe courl really be THE song that mixes Morbid Angel and Voivod with those vocal lines you mentioned .... just freaking flawless :kickass:

Yeah man, I'm feeling it baby, I'm feeling it! CAN YOU DIG IT!! :kickass:

Crimson Velvet said:
I like old-school death metal. Will I enjoy this?

Bear in mind, this isn't old school per se, it's because I've been listening to lots of old school that makes me appreciate this more. It's very modern sounding, clean vocals, harsh vocals, and just MASSIVE.

The riffs will pound your head into dust. It's almost overbearing at times, just like "Panopticon" was.

It's "epic" on steroids, and I just happen to like epic sounding music.

wow, i already dismissed this album as sounding too much like bongzilla (who i dismissed after a couple of songs for having annoying vocals) but now i'm regretting it. might have to give this one another shot!

i can see the ISIS similarities ... certainly some sections are like ISIS with vocals ... but Gojira is much less faggier.

I don't have any lyrics, but I hear that their outlook on the world is very positive and optimistic ... which is a welcome change

JayKeeley said:
Bear in mind, this isn't old school per se, it's because I've been listening to lots of old school that makes me appreciate this more. It's very modern sounding, clean vocals, harsh vocals, and just MASSIVE.

The riffs will pound your head into dust. It's almost overbearing at times, just like "Panopticon" was.

It's "epic" on steroids, and I just happen to like epic sounding music.

Well, you got me!

I'll give this a try!

So just got through the last song on the album..."Global Warming". Fucking hell, this is some outro song. What is that guitar riff? Melodic right hand tapping all the way...

Going right back to "Backbone". That bassline sound in the intro is stunning....like they're hammering away on low-end piano keys.

Seriously guys, I am floored and shaking. Somebody hold me.

I just downloaded one song, The Wilderness, and it's so fucking epic and completely not what I remember these fucks sounding like! Might be another addition to my goddamn list of 2005 releases to buy in 2006.

edit: FUCK this clicky bass drum though. FUCK it.