gonna have to put my dog to sleep

Very sorry to hear man. I can relate, my dog who is 11 now is nearing his time. He's been such a staple to my family and probably the most important figure in my life growing up. I grew up a single child and had alot of personal problems growing up, so my parents got our dog when I was 11 almost as a therapy dog for me.

We found out he had Lymphoma cancer this summer, and are giving him treatments for that but only a few months later he developed a nerve problem where his back legs dont work anymore.
We've been doing everything we can to help, as he doesnt seem to be in much pain, but I can tell his time is short.

Spend as much time as you can with them

I know exactly how you feel dude, went through the same thing 2 months ago.
my jack russel was 16, grew up with her, the last few months she went slowly more deaf and blind. I moved out of home and i'd come see her every weekend and each time i left i'd say goodbye wondering if she would make it til next week.
She died tragically when i was on my way over one day (she fell in the pool).

its been 2 months now and i can finally remember all the fun times we had and laugh to myself, instead of feeling sad (although i'll admit this thread did bring a tear to my eye)

Its funny how the other dogs react, i've got another jack russel (she's only 2) and i could tell she was grieving for a few weeks.

Sorry for everything you have to go through and all the best

Im sorry to hear that man.. a few years back we had to put our 15 year old dog to sleep.
All i can say is dont let her suffer, just put her to sleep as quickly as possible.

:(

I had a beagle and some type of terrier... I guess they call it a wire haired terrier... but the beagle died at age 12 due to the tainted dog food, and the rat terrier died of grief a couple months later. Having to bury 2 of your dogs in the same season of the year is rough. When the first one died I literally cried for a week straight... when the second one died I was still kind of numbed from the first one...

Miserable shit, man. You'll get through it though.

Sorry to hear this. :( It's never easy. But as James said, you provided a nice, loving life for her. I've been through this too many time as well. One dog in particular was like my best friend. It's been six years, and he still never leaves my mind.

The blood in the stool is most likely colitis. If it is colitis its commom and curable. I've had dogs that have had colitis, it takes about week to clear up. So take your dog to the vet ASPA and find out whats going on. Your dog might be acting this way because she doesnt feel good from the colitis. I don't know if this the case with your dog but like I said take her to the vet.

My condolences my friend. It's an awful thing to have to do, but it is for the best. Unlike other people, our pets can't clearly communicate their pain, their state of health to us. We assume they will be well when we come home each day and then suddenly they are not. Early last year I had to put down my dog Molly of 15 years (she was my first dog of my own as an adult), she had congestive heart failure going on for quite some time, but medication has kept her relatively healthy. But when the end came, she went downhill extremely fast, from her wonderful cheery personality to almost dead weight in my arms looking up at me and trying to tell me it was time. She had been with me through both battles with cancer and I still miss her dearly - but she will always be in my memories. We have an arbor with roses and a bench out in our back yard under which she and Alex, our old cat, are buried and I go out there when I need to think things through.

We have two new wonderful dogs, Mattie and Willow, now and they certainly are great little dogs themselves, but now I know George Carlin the comedian was right when he said that getting a pet was accepting that some time in the future you would have a little tragedy in your life, he had a long time cat he loved dearly and he spoke often of him in his comedy skits. But he lost him as we all do with pets, but they all stay with us in our memories. Figure out a way to remember your little girl and she will always be there for you.

thanks for all the support guys....highly appreciated!

tomorrow will be vet time, i really wonder what he's going to say....maybe there's some hope after all....hope so.
no more blood today, actually she's better today. lethargic, yes, "old", yes, but really obviously ill? no...thank god for that.
today i really realized how *thin* she became. she used to be...well, not exactly fat, but let's say well built. if you're around someone almost 24/7 you sometimes lose perspective, so i didn't really notice earlier....i knew she lost quite some weight, but i never really realized how much it really was. guess that's the age.

as for the colitis: maybe...hope so. i fear the worst though. she's had a swelling on/inside the stomach for quite some time now, but honestly i didn't want to take her into surgery for that. at that age chances are the narcosis would kill her anyways, so we just let it be that way. i have a feeling that it's growing inside and affecting her intestines, hence the bleeding....i hope i'm wrong though.