gonna have to put my dog to sleep

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
i have a dog, jenny, a 16 year old tibet terrier.
she's been acting strange for a while now....she's getting old fast, and the last weeks were quite terrible in that respect. she's disoriented, doesn't react when i come home, doesn't really like her food anymore (she used to be begging all the time), can't quite hold "it" anymore, and most of the time she's just lying on the floor or restlessly wandering around.
today i just came home from band rehearsal, and i was SHOCKED when i came home...there was poo mixed with blood all over the place. actually more blood than anything....right now she's again walking around restlessly, her back bent upwards, shaking legs, and is largely disoriented.
guess the time has come now....
i'm sad beyond belief. i grew up with her, she's been with us since i was 7 years old, and she's been an incredibly good dog. very bright, very lively, very obedient and just generally easy and caring. she's been with me for the larger part of my life, and it's incredibly hard for me right now.....

what's even more difficult is that i live with my parents, who are currently on vacation abroad. they're coming home soon and cutting it short, but it's naturally going to take them a while to come home, and i'm not sure if she's going to make it this long, or if i can justify her suffering for a few more days just because i'm suffering hard from the thought of having to do this all by myself.
i guess i'll have to do what needs to be done, but it's really hard to do this without anybody coming along and supporting me.

right now i'm tempted to grab a bottle of vodka and just numb my mind down so i don't have to think about it all....

Man thats terrible....I can't really put into words how reading your post made me feel.....a very sad time...

At the end of the day you have to put the animal first as if you were them, how long would you want to go on living in this current state?

Ive never had a dog, nor any pet for as long so I can only imagine how hard it must be.

Sorry dude, we're here for you, you know this...

16 years is a very good age for any dog and no tragedy . Take her to the vet asap and ask their advice , it is no good to keep a dog suffering when they are close to the end . I empathise with your situation and have been there a few times myself but I promise you it's the right thing to do . I found out last week my two year old dog has bone cancer and probably does not have long left . I am gutted as he is still a big pup and would give any thing for a few extra years . That's the price of pet ownership but I would not change a thing . It sounds like your dog has had a good long happy life and that means you and your family did a good job for her . Ring your vet tomorrow and don't feel any pressure to do anything ,hopefully they can help you make the best decision for her . Good luck with whatever you decide .

I'm sorry to hear this man, because I love dogs. But if she's really doing that bad, it might be the best thing. You don't want her suffering. :(

So sorry to hear this man. Had to put my dog to sleep myself a couple of years ago. Let her rest now. It's so very hard, but it's for the best. You'll allways have the memories, and one day you might get another dog that can give you as much joy and happiness.

thanks a lot for the kind words guys...

actually, we have two other (younger) dogs, 9 and 7 years old. i really wonder how they'll take it if she's not around anymore, as she's always been the head of the herd so to speak.

That's terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that...

I've never had a dog myself, but back when we were together my ex's golden retriever had to be put to sleep. She was too sick and her joints got bad, she couldn't even really get up anymore. Loved that dog.

Hang in there, we're all here for you.

One of my cats died this summer.
This is so hard!!!!
These animals become part of the family because they live with you like 10-20years.
For other people they are just animals, but for us they are like a child :(

I am feeling with you!!!

That sucks, dude. It's never easy, no matter how old the dog is.

I had to put my Jack down at age 7 a couple of years ago because he contracted Lymphoma... so I can sympathize.

But, be happy your dog lived to 16.

I feel very sorry for you.
Our female labrador becomes 13 years old and she's getting older, slowly. Sadly labradors do not make it to 16 years.
I don't want to imagine this happening to her, though I would do what the others already said - put her to rest if it is the time.
Es tut mir wirklich sehr sehr leid.

I wish you the best, man. My mom had 2 pugs she got when I was a teen, both as pups. They were inseparable, both dogs, and my mom had to put down one of them due to age just over a year ago. It was hard to see him at the end, but it was best that he not suffer any more. The other pug seemed lost for about a week, just walked around endlessly whimpering, as though she kept searching the house for her "brother". She pulled out of it, and has been keeping everyone entertained and full of pug love since then.

You and your other pups will be OK, eventually, but like a lot of others said, when a dog gets to that state, you really need to get them to a vet ASAP, and just hope that something can be done to relieve their pain.

Any time I see a thread about someone having to put down their dog, or their dog having died, it always makes me really sad.
Sorry to hear this bro :(