I have to put my dog to sleep today.

Hey man, my condolences. Very sorry to hear. That's a really sweet dog.
I had to put my dog down last month, and as everybody is saying, truly the worst moment of my life. I just hope you push through without any external problems to make things worse. All the best man, :erk: :(

Thanks dudes. I just felt like sharing cause I know everyone on here is basically an animal lover. I cried for the first time in years. It was the worst moment I've had in a while. But he was a huge dog weighing 130 at his prime and he lived a long, good life. He lived long for his size. I'll miss the fuck outta him though. He bit so many people that tried to act a fool.. He was like me as a dog.

23433_2320109361255_1205160019_100340623_6542229_n.jpg

He was beautiful!!!!

Stay strong, when we (my family) must put our cat to sleep, it was the first time in a very long time I had to cry. This is 6 years ago, and when I´m thinking about it I maybe start crying again.
But a second later I remember him (the cat) in his best times, kicking other cats asses, marking his teretory (mostly my shoes ), beeing a wonderfull friend in a long time in my life to me!!!! He scratched one of a ex of me, because he knew she was a bitch:)

I love animals!!!!

Sorry to hear that!

Just had to put my girlfriend's cat to sleep. Words only help so much, but time and mourning will. Just remember that you did him a favour... like a buddy would. Be grateful for him to grow so old and the quality time you shared. Those memories will eventually replace the sadness.

Don't mourn the few weeks you missed, celebrate the years you shared.

Sorry to hear that man. I've been in that boat. My longtime companion started having health problems, and it got to the point where she was visibly suffering so I knew she had to be put down. I wanted to be there with her when she passed, so she wouldn't be scared, and it was really tough watching it all. Time does heal, though. She was a great dog.

My brother's dog is now in the same situation. I've been around her all her life (My very first internet screen name was taken from a nickname I gave her) and she's always been the perfect dog. Now she's really old, blind, almost deaf, has trouble walking, and has diabetes. My brother is keeping her alive with insulin shots twice a day at this point, but I know he's starting to realize there isn't much of a point to it now, because her quality of life is just not there, you know? Normally he'd go to the vet and get a huge month long supply of insulin. Last time he went he got a much smaller supply than usual.... :erk:

:(

This is heartbreaking. I´m so sorry to hear that, my friend. Maybe I´m the next one, who will open a thread about such a sad moment. My dog is quite old and I´m sure he will die in the next months, too. That would be the most normal thing in the world, I guess.

Sorry about your dog, dude.
My childhood dog of 15 years had to be put down due to cancer and I know how bad it hurts. On the bright side, everytime I remember rockin out in my room when I was younger to the old metallica and seeing her walk in the door and start head banging with me, I cant help smiling.

torry to hear that man.

my first dog died 7 years ago (got hit by a car...I wasn't even there, twas my GF back then walking her).
I cried for like 3 days and was pretty much puking constantly, worst time in my life....haven't cried since then...nothing has been important/sad enough to cry over.

also there are certain songs I just can't listen to since then (for example Priest's "Close To You" ) :(

I know I'm late to this, but my heart goes out to you. I've lost several as well. The last one wasn't even mine, but my sister's dog...a huge Maremma (Italian sheep dog). But if it's possible for a dog to truly be your best friend, then he was mine. We had a really close bond. It's been six years I guess, and I still miss him.

Damn man, I hope everything went well. Its always hard, I've already have 3 generations of boxers and the last one is also her last days. The last one died suddenly and we didn't have time to take her to the vet, it was terrible, boxers die in such agony I don't want to remember... I hope yours had gone quietly and peacefully.