Choosing a Dog

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
Ever since I moved out and left my old pal, I've really been wanting a dog. My apartment requires that it be at least a year old, no more than 50 lbs. and spayed/neutered. I don't know if it's best to go to shelters or buy from a breeder. I went to the humane society today and walked some really chilled ones and some crazy ones. I can't spend too much money and it's hard choosing a dog that I can leave alone as I'm pretty busy during the week. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on selecting a dog? Thanks.

Go to a shelter. Shelters really, really need it.

However I'm sorry but I cannot really help with choosing a dog.

I think a beagle is a bad choice b/c everyone I've ever known barked/bayed incessantly.

:erk: I'll have to check this guy out and see if the shelter says anything about him. I hear they're pretty active dogs so that could be a problem during weekdays...

Go get him! He looks like a great guy and Woody is an awesome name for a beagle!

I'm very tempted, I'll probably check him out on Friday. I must agree that Woody is an awesome name for a beagle!

Hey man be sure to check out Humane Society here in SA. I got a mixed Lab for my ex almost two years ago from there off I think Bulverde Rd actually, or maybe it's Old Nacogdoches... anyway... She had all her paperwork, was actually very well house trained, super chill, didn't bark unless she was playing with toys, knew some tricks already as well like sit and to stand on her hind legs. Obviously can't expect that with every one in there but you get the idea. Also, just something to consider, around xmas time the Humane Society will give you a 1yr+ old dog for like $15 or possibly $25, it's cheap that's why I got that dog for my ex, heh. I believe there is one shelter in the SA area that doesn't let you take the dog out to walk around with before you do all the paperwork, can't remember the name of it though.

Poor dog. Alone all week in a strange home after living in a cage, unwanted. :(

Sorry, I got a real soft spot for animals.

Yeah, no advice and no help here. Personally I wouldn't get a dog if I had to leave it alone most of the time. I know lots of people do this and I understand why, it's just, so sad to me.

Ok i'll go now. Good luck!

/emo

Hey man be sure to check out Humane Society here in SA. I got a mixed Lab for my ex almost two years ago from there off I think Bulverde Rd actually, or maybe it's Old Nacogdoches... anyway... She had all her paperwork, was actually very well house trained, super chill, didn't bark unless she was playing with toys, knew some tricks already as well like sit and to stand on her hind legs. Obviously can't expect that with every one in there but you get the idea. Also, just something to consider, around xmas time the Humane Society will give you a 1yr+ old dog for like $15 or possibly $25, it's cheap that's why I got that dog for my ex, heh. I believe there is one shelter in the SA area that doesn't let you take the dog out to walk around with before you do all the paperwork, can't remember the name of it though.

I went to the one on Fredericksburg Rd. by I-10 and 410 yesterday. I don't know if there's more than one as I just moved here bout a year ago but damn sounds like you found a bad ass dog. How did you pick her out?

Yeah, no advice and no help here. Personally I wouldn't get a dog if I had to leave it alone most of the time. I know lots of people do this and I understand why, it's just, so sad to me.

/emo

I'll have time for a dog, I'm just gone for long periods of time a few days during the week.

Poor dog. Alone all week in a strange home after living in a cage, unwanted. :(

Sorry, I got a real soft spot for animals.

Ok i'll go now. Good luck!

/emo

+ 1

Dogs are very sensitive, please, make sure you are gonna take care of it 24/7.

Take it from shelters, you'll save money and one life.

My choice would be Cairn Terrier if you have time to play with them and big parks and places where he can run, they are extremely active.

That's the reason why you shouldn't get any dog. If you still decide to get one get it from a shelter.

Ok I've owned 3 dogs in the past, I'm just saying I'm not going to be around 24/7 to tend every need like a bitch girlfriend. :devil:

EDIT: Already planning on going with the shelter route. Thanks!