Question regarding dogs

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
I am thinking about getting a dog. A puppy is out of the question, so I'm looking at something at least 3 years old and housebroken. I will be looking at shelters around the area

Anyway, I live on my own in an apartment that is around 700 sqft (or 65 square meters for all the heathens here). I work from 9-5 and I am away from my apartment from ~8:30 AM until 5:15 PM M-F. I am looking for a dog that will fair well in an apartment alone for 8+ hours a day. I will exercise the dog when I get home of course.

I am thinking something along the lines of a Basset Hound. I would get a Greyhound if they weren't over the weight limit of the complex (40 pounds)

What would any of the dog owners here recommend as a good starter dog? I have cared for my family's Sheltie when my parents go out of town (2 weeks every other month usually) so I also need one that is good with other dogs.

Go.

Also: I'm allergic to cats, so if you recommend I get a cat I'm going to yell at you

Why is a puppy out of the question? If you're just wanting a dog that's housebroken why don't you do it with a puppy? It really doesn't take much more than a week...you just have to be consistant.

I trained my dog to use a litter in less than a week...after that I was done and she was doing her own thing without me noticing.

Personnaly I wouldn't want a dog that's already trained by someone else and used to that person's habits. I'd rather have a puppy that will adapt to my routine easier.

Do you have neighbours that you don't want to annoy? If the answer is yes, I wouldn't really pick a basset hound. They are LOUD when they bark and they can bark a lot during your absence.

You have a lot of things to think about...do you want an active dog? Do you have hardwood floor and would hate to have to remove the hair daily? Do you hate a dog that barks all the time?

Why is a puppy out of the question? If you're just wanting a dog that's housebroken why don't you do it with a puppy? It really doesn't take much more than a week...you just have to be consistant.

Because I'm gone for 8 hours a day M-F?

Do you have neighbours that you don't want to annoy? If the answer is yes, I wouldn't really pick a basset hound. They are LOUD when they bark and they can bark a lot during your absence.

You can train the dog not to howl though.

You have a lot of things to think about...do you want an active dog? Do you have hardwood floor and would hate to have to remove the hair daily? Do you hate a dog that barks all the time?

I don't want something super active like a Jack Russell Terrier. Something with low energy like a Greyhound would suit me. The bathroom and kitchen are lineoleum while the rest of my place is carpet. Yappy dogs suck.

Dude, get a I'm Happy.
basset-hound.jpg

Because I'm gone for 8 hours a day M-F?

Hmm...try to get the dog when you have a week of vacation? Train it during that time and then you're ok.

You can train the dog not to howl though.

haha, good luck. A Basset is a hunting dog and if it smells something or sees soemthing and you're nto there, it will bark.

I don't want something super active like a Jack Russell Terrier. Something with low energy like a Greyhound would suit me. The bathroom and kitchen are lineoleum while the rest of my place is carpet. Yappy dogs suck.

paresseuse.jpg

Lazy, but loves to play/go for walks when you want to, never barks, fits well in a small size apt., very low maintenance (no problems if you're gone most of the day) and does't cost much in food. Main problem: sheds like hell.

Hmm...try to get the dog when you have a week of vacation? Train it during that time and then you're ok.

I was thinking the same thing actually.

haha, good luck. A Basset is a hunting dog and if it smells something or sees soemthing and you're nto there, it will bark.

Yeah. There is a guy in my complex with a Basset Hound. I'll have to ask him about where he got his/how he trains it to not bark, etc

paresseuse.jpg

Lazy, but loves to play/go for walks when you want to, never barks, fits well in a small size apt., very low maintenance and does't cost much in food. Main problem: sheds like hell.

Looks like a pug, but it could be a mix. Problem with this is I'm getting whatever is at the SPCA that I like, which will probably be a Beagle hybrid since they have a ton of those there.

Yeah. There is a guy in my complex with a Basset Hound. I'll have to ask him about where he got his/how he trains it to not bark, etc

I know there are electric collars that you can buy and they give a shock to the dog when it barks. Not sure how effecient they are or how expensive though. I don't know if I would like to electrocute my dog with that though, I'd rather have a dog that's not barking much to begin with.

Looks like a pug, but it could be a mix. Problem with this is I'm getting whatever is at the SPCA that I like, which will probably be a Beagle hybrid since they have a ton of those there.

It's a pug.

You should get this. I don't know why but I picture you as the type of guy that would like to sit for hours brushing his dog. :p
pekingese_01a.jpg