I fucked up my back.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Dammit all to hell I fucked up my back. Yesterday I helped move a heavy ass box at my internship, rest of the day all good. Then today all was good until 4pm when I got a few packages. I opened one and bent over to dump out the packing peanuts.

I swear to god I have never had worse pain shoot up my spine in my life. Shit is seriously ridiculous. I have been carrying heavy shit for years and all of the sudden bang back just decided to give me a big FU.

All well I am gonna try to see a chiropractor tomorrow.

This is somewhat of a bitch thread but I was wondering: with all the heavy cumbersome shit we carry around all day has anyone else thrown their back on amps or anything like that? I didn't throw my back on moving anything to do with audio but that's beside the point...

You should always be careful to follow proper lifting and carrying ergonomics - extremely important the heavier the items are. In the worst cases, incorrect lifting will damage you permanently, and in any case you'll be in for weeks of painful hurt which can affect your sleeping (lack of it) too! Some basic guides:

ALWAYS!

1) ...lift with your back straight, otherwise you'll damage/hurt either your neck or your sacroiliac joint (lower back right above your hip bone)
2) ...lift with your legs first, they are your strongest part
3) ...keep your stance straight. Do not tilt your back sideways!
4) ...get a friend to help with inconvenient-sized items (especially 4x12" and 8x10" cabs with no wheels, or when you have to use the stairs)
5) ...keep items as close to you as possible, don't hang them away from you
6) ...keep your arms straight! Take your grip from as low as possible.

Dammit all to hell I fucked up my back. Yesterday I helped move a heavy ass box at my internship, rest of the day all good. Then today all was good until 4pm when I got a few packages. I opened one and bent over to dump out the packing peanuts.

I swear to god I have never had worse pain shoot up my spine in my life. Shit is seriously ridiculous. I have been carrying heavy shit for years and all of the sudden bang back just decided to give me a big FU.

All well I am gonna try to see a chiropractor tomorrow.

This is somewhat of a bitch thread but I was wondering: with all the heavy cumbersome shit we carry around all day has anyone else thrown their back on amps or anything like that? I didn't throw my back on moving anything to do with audio but that's beside the point...

Sucks to hear that, hope your back gets better soon!

I fucked mine last summer at work. I was driving a 400 kilogram power screed and it got a bit out of hand, pulling my right arm at full speed. The pain was fucking ridiculous, and I had to drive 5 kilometers home using only the first gear, 'cause using the gear stick hurt way too much. When I got home I had to call my girlfriend to come over to change my clothes (couldn't do even that by myself) and get me to a doctor. Gladly it took only a few days to get better, but it was sore as hell at first. Couldn't breathe properly in the first two days.

Sucks to hear that, hope your back gets better soon!

I fucked mine last summer at work. I was driving a 400 kilogram power screed and it got a bit out of hand, pulling my right arm at full speed. The pain was fucking ridiculous, and I had to drive 5 kilometers home using only the first gear, 'cause using the gear stick hurt way too much. When I got home I had to call my girlfriend to come over to change my clothes (couldn't do even that by myself) and get me to a doctor. Gladly it took only a few days to get better, but it was sore as hell at first. Couldn't breathe properly in the first two days.

Damn dude, ouch - but what's a power screed?

And Loren, my sympathies dude, that sucks the nuts - I hope there was no permanent damage!

Sorry to hear that dude! I screwed up my back 8 years ago, instinctually trying to catch a huge (about 6ft. tall) empty equipment rack. Dumb ass! :) I was fine all that day. But damn, when I woke up in the morning, I could barely move! Get a good chiropractor. They'll become your best friend. :) Just don't expect it to be fixed in one session. It takes time. My back is better now, but I still have to be more careful with it than before.

I have been carrying heavy shit for years and all of the sudden bang back just decided to give me a big FU

That's how it happened to me 6 months ago....I've been lifting my whole life, physical jobs mostly and all of a sudden bam...it hits you. I work for a major beverage corp doing deliveries...now I go to the chiro every other day and the back doctor once a month for injections and meds. Two bulging discs and a narrowing of the spine (S1 L5 L4) and I have no clue how it happened...maybe just old age or time is finally catching up with me.

Well I tried to get into a chiropractor this morning (threw it out at 5pm yesterday) because I really didn't want to be popping Advil like it's m&ms candy all weekend. They asked for my insurance and of course I have a shitty HMO (MVP) because that's all my employer offers (shitty HMO or REALLY shitty HMO, I have the shitty one). So they said they need a referral from my primary in order to get in (so insurance would cover it).

I said fuck that and wanted in NOW. So I got their expecting to use my flex card (it's like a prepaid card for use only on health care shit, you run it through like a visa credit card, actually it says visa right on the card) and they don't even take regular cards. So I ended up not being seen. Pissed.

I suppose I could have called around some more but I figured fuck it I'll just get seen by my normal Dr. and get referred. Play the stupid dance that is my incredibly worthless insurance (that I pay $720 a year for, and my employer probably pays an addition $1k for or more).

Anyhow, what's fucking scary as hell is the reality that I am only 25. This is NOT a good thing to have happen at 25. I am hopeful that since the pain is coming from muscle area that it's just something inflamed or whatever.

Not sure if that's the correct term in english, but it's basically a motor on a steel plate that vibrates. It's used to make the ground more packed and compressed.

Here's one: http://www.msi.fi/kuvat/galleria/01._Kalustoa_ja_tyokohteita/01._Vekoittimia/Tary_170kg.JPG

Thats a vibrating plate compactor or as its called on most building sites a "whacker"

Haha, I've never heard either of those terms, or even seen one of those contraptions before, so that probably explains my bewilderment! :D

"Catch?" As in, like, "go long!" catch? :lol:

Hahaha Close. :) We were unloading racks from a truck, rolling them up the driveway, and one started to fall over and like an idiot, I tried to catch the damn thing before it smacked on the concrete. I'm talking huge, industrial strength steel racks. Dumb ass. :) :loco: At least there were pretty girls working at the chiropractor at the time...massaging my back with warm gel. Hmm...guess it wasn't all that bad. lol

Anyhow, what's fucking scary as hell is the reality that I am only 25. This is NOT a good thing to have happen at 25. I am hopeful that since the pain is coming from muscle area that it's just something inflamed or whatever.

man, i'm 25 and my back has been seriously fucked up since i was 17-18, and i've been unable to seek any medical attention for it because i've been w/o insurance the entire time

if you can, get that shit fixed...it's not fun to spend every moment of your life in pain

I intend to get it fixed. I just wish I didn't have to do the shitty insurance dance.

Fucking HMOs you have to ask permission to wipe your damn ass.

Although I did go a year with out insurance and that's scary as fuck. I went to the hospital for an infected tooth and got a prescription for penicillin 1 penicillin pill and some goupe on my busted tooth. Then they sent me the $380 bill. Fucking health care is unreal man, I can't imagine getting seriously hurt and not having at least some junky insurance.

I've had back problems since '88/'89. It started out mild but has gotten much worse over the years. I can't pin it one specific thing but I think its mainly from thrashing like a maniac all the time back then plus I've had wharehouse jobs that required heavy lifting. Been going to the chiropractor from the beginning but have been going every week for the past 13 years or so. For the past few years I've been taking motrin or whatever 3x a day and more recently fish oil with it. I don't care if I get liver failure. The sooner I die, the better. Every waking moment I'm in pain. X-rays show nothing. It may be just muscle inflamtion and RSS repetitive strain syndrome but yeah, it sucks ass big time.