Good bye amp simulation :)

sounds great man :headbang:

wish i could track my amp, in a small apartment with very thin walls at the moment though.... ugh lol

I hear ya man. Im still at my parents place, but when i move out it will be something a bit smaller indeed- its impossible for an average FTB to get a detached these days :bah: I think I will convert the garage when i move into a sound proofed ghetto.

No neighbors Kev?

We do, but f-em- they havent complained yet lol :tickled:

i don't hear much of a difference between the amp sim and the real thing ;___;

Can you post clips of the the impulse and the real cab on a mix (with bass and drums)? I don´t think it is going to make much difference!

There's only a slight difference between the two, I'm sure you could match the "impulse" to the "real" with some eq and saturation type plug-in no?

And in a full mix would that slight difference matter, or even be noticeable.

I'm all for real amps etc, but for those who can't afford it or pull it off, amp sims+impulses are a pretty good option these days, especially if it's either that or recording a crappy little amp in a bedroom.

Just listened to both clips again and the fact that the amp sim sounds pretty close (enough) to the real thing seems quite favorable to the amp sims.

Anyway, whatever works best, there's no right or wrong way of doing anything.

Well guys, to me, it's the last 10% there- the stuff that is going to seperate the good mix from the excellent production (not that I can mix for shit btw :D). You can hear the air, the punch, and it just flows out of the speakers far more musicially to my ears. Bob, I should say all of these tones have had treatment, some saturation on the way in, eq'd similarly and a bit of smooth compression. I think it's beyond that stage.

I've done this with my Marshall 2x12" and I think it sounds pretty decent to be honest. Gets a nice mix between the mid clarity of the V30 and the big bottom of the T75 in the room. For gigs I always just get the V30 mic'd up mind you as I'd rather have a too mid heavy tone than a too scooped tone.

Here's a quick and dirty test I did one day with my Marshall 1936 2x12" that has on T75 and one V30 in it. Please keep in mind this is VERY rough:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/Rose Of Sharyn Reamp.mp3

Chain was:
TS7
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 mic'd with I5's

This was a proper throw the mic's up and hit record job, done in a small bedroom, no tweaking of mic positions or anything, just wanted to see how the T75 V30 combo was.

Bit of eq on mixdown as the TT has no eq controls, think I pulled out some mid and added some high's (too much I think, it's a bit fizzy) Could probably have done with a touch more lows.

I know this isn't up to the standard of most guys on here, don't judge me! lol.

Think i might look at getting that v30 in then! Sounds good Trev, thanks for that. I will have a quick crack at identifying which i consider to be the lesser of the two g12's and then get to work :cool:

It's true that aliasing and that unpleasantness is present in digital emulations. But, I saw an interesting post on fractal audio's website: http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=693

Apparently it isn't present in the Axe-Fx.

I have an Axe-FX standard on order and hopefully I'll get it this week and I'll be able to put it to the test (and I'll definitely post clips here and they won't be the usual 'super-low-tuned-where-you-can't-hear-much-tone-anyway' kind of recordings).

FX loop send of my Laney into my Hi-Z input on the soundcard, then going into some Redwirez impulses... sounds much better than using an amp sim. I only do this for quiet recording though. I'd rather use a real cab in most situations.

I am gassing for an Axe-FX though.

You've got me gassing for an axe fx betwen the two of you now as well :lol: I see vai and co are endorsing... i'd love to try one. So why doesnt the axe fx have the nasty aliasing that is privvy to all these otheres then?

Also... if they are the best thing since sliced bread, why doesnt Vai use one of these live. I am skeptical of it...

I use amp sim (pod farm) and for me works very well... its all about good tweaking, good eq, good mixing and good mastering.. there's alot of commercial albums that were recorded with amp sims and maybe u wouldn't even notice it.

that's my point of view.. obviously micing real cabs is great dont get me wrong but amp sims are not bad at all and with time they are getting much better.

Undoubtedly smash, I long for the day when it happens. If it ever will im just not sure! I am holding a lot of hope in nebula still :)

Love the real amp tone on this!

Yep im ditching the amp modelrs as well.

Thanks Josh, down with the modellers eh :lol:

sims are such a cheap option though. if you don't have the massive collection of the same analog gear, it's a no brainer to use one of them. the average sim has like 15 amps, same amount of cabs, a bunch of pedals. yea you sacrifice tone, but you get so much more versatility.

personally, sims shine in the pre production stage. if i had 10 guitars, the same amount of pick ups to interchange, 10 amps/cabs and a stack of modded pedals i'd be set... but i don't. so i have to use sims in my final mixes. :(

but great engineers take what they have and make it sound the best. that's what i'm working on.

I've been pretty much of that view point too man- I think im gravitating more to use what analogue gear you can get your hands on, and then if all else fails get digitising. I couldnt be happier with clean tones from modellers for instance.

I have never used amp modelers and am pretty happy for it. :lol:

5150/mesa DR/ v30s for the win!

Keep it that way Loren :p

I have actual rentet a room so I can mic drums and amps.
So in a few weeks when its all set up I will start my journey into the art of micing up :D

Good luck Bill, its a much better feeling dude!!! As well as sucking my tone, amp sims have been sucking my passion as well :D (that sounds slighlty dodgy somehow)

The real thing sounds incredible, gj man. Although there's some weird stuff going on with the decay, right before the gate kicks in? Not sure if its your DI's or some room resonances or what, but it doesn't sound good.

Thanks Morgan. That'd be my dodgy silencing cuts slicing the ends off dude :cry:
See here for my planned escape route. :lol:

I hate to make it worse Kev... but I just came back from a guys house. A dude I hooked up with on the AxeFX forums to checkout his Axe FX Ultra. Anyway... it was fucking sick... sick as in awesome.

Does not have the aliasy fizzy character like Pods. Every amp he showed me sounded great. I was a big fan of the Uberschall model. Pisses all over the Pod model of the same amp.

I'm really considering selling all my pedals and my amp and my 2x12... and putting the cash towards an Axe FX Ultra.

I hate to make it worse Kev... but I just came back from a guys house. A dude I hooked up with on the AxeFX forums to checkout his Axe FX Ultra. Anyway... it was fucking sick... sick as in awesome.

Does not have the aliasy fizzy character like Pods. Every amp he showed me sounded great. I was a big fan of the Uberschall model. Pisses all over the Pod model of the same amp.

I'm really considering selling all my pedals and my amp and my 2x12... and putting the cash towards an Axe FX Ultra.
dude dont do it ...you cant beat tube amps mic'ed properly!

I guess I found this thread just in time..

about 5 mins ago i made the decision to stop trying to mic my tube amp and cab cause my triple x rocks but my shitty peavey cab blows, so no matter how much i try i can never get a good enough tone from it to my daw...=[ Then I spend hours in front of the pc telling myself i can polish a terd with a lot of eq... =\

I started messing around with impulses...i think im going to switch until i can get a new cab

I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Sansamp boxes. Might just get me one....

It seems that in most of these threads opinions are very extreme, meaning that you either use only amp sims (cost = $0 or near $0 if you paid for impulses) or you have a $2000 amp and cab (+ treated room + mics + preamps, $$$). Is there something in the middle that's not amp sims?

In the top of all that, the price of audio/music gear in here (Brazil) is outrageous. Buying a nice half stack, even a used one, is too pricey and would take a lifetime to pay back.

It seems that in most of these threads opinions are very extreme, meaning that you either use only amp sims (cost = $0 or near $0 if you paid for impulses) or you have a $2000 amp and cab (+ treated room + mics + preamps, $$$). Is there something in the middle that's not amp sims?

Yeah, like a Bugera 6260 (277€) + HB 212 w/V30's (198€) :)

Ovbiously it's not the same as a 5150 into a Mesa cab, but still sounds pretty decent from the recordings I've heard.

if you open those 3 clips in a basic wave viewer, editor and look at the structure which was has the most density the real amp, so hows about a fair comparison tweaking that impulse to be as full as the real amp. Of course your real amp is gonna be better, but a fair test is a real test - this is not a real test.

Yeh, amp sims are still fucked. I've tried so many times to make it work in a full mix, but all I've been able to get away with is leads. You can hear X30 running solos on the 'Peace' track on my site.

For rhythms I always go back to tubes.

The impulse clip sounds pretty good, but the real amp really shines! It has the thick bottom end and smooth highs that sims struggle with. Nice tone. What was your mic placement like?