Good-Bye Pearl Room?

I think this is the place that a lot of the shows are getting moved to.

http://www.pyramidclubaddison.com/

Our 1000 square foot dance floor is open on Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm - 2am. Come party with our DJ >>DJ SLICK<< :ill:

On another note....
I'll have to say.......I'm not sad about this. It was an hour and a half ride from my house. The free parking and the cheap hotel close by will be missed though.

I've never been there so I dont know what the deal is with the place, if indeed that is the new place. From what I understand its a big room. Its in Addison (right near O'Hare) which is immediately closer for most people to get to, they have pool tables, food and I'm sure they offer more than just Miller and Bud for beer. Also they have lots of drink specials, I'm sure a coke or water wont cost you $4 at this place.

Lets hope that the shows start getting spread out to all the other venues in the area, Metro, Reggies, Austins Fuel Room, Durty Nellies, Chicago City Limits, Double Door, Joe's on Weed Street, Kinetic Playground, Martyrs, Beat Kitchen, The Bottom Lounge, VIC, Riv etc...

Having all the bands in one venue was the worst thing for the metal scene that could possibly happen. It takes Metal out of the mindset of these other venues and they forget that there was a draw for Metal. The last few metal shows at Metro that I went to were either sold out or just about sold out, there is no reason that these nationals that played PR cant play Metro or other places, if size is a concern then there are lots of other options smaller or larger that have been Metal friendly in the past.

The pyramid club at least has good music on their page...any website with Black Betty as a greeter is alright by me.

Question is, especially if CPF 2010 fits my tastes, where would it be?

Also is it too early to start getting wish lists made up? :lol:

From a fan standpoint, I generally always liked the Pearl Room. Personally I felt it was a saving grace and a nice break from always having to travel to the city for a show. I'm centrally located in Chicagoland and honestly I preferred making the 45 minute to an hour drive to Mokena rather than fighting the traffic into the city and having a debacle with parking (whether it was price or just plain trying to find it). Free parking, food establishments and reasonable lodging within walking distance were also always a plus for me.

Interestingly enough, I read today that Eleveitie will indeed be coming back to the States in November on the Heathenfest America tour. The stop is listed as Chicago but the venue is the Jaguar Room. After a brief search I believe this to be a venue in Lemont, IL that used to be called Stage 83. Lemont is not quite as far south as Mokena.

My initial thought is that shows will go back to the places they used to be held. Shreddy mentioned a few. Before the PR I couldn't tell you how many metal shows I saw at the House of Blues. Before that it was always the Metro, Vic and Riv...and the Aragon many moons back. Time will tell how everything unfolds.

Let me add my two cents on something real quick....

Pearl Room's existence didn't really impact upon any of the other clubs metal-ness or not. It'd be nice to think that more big metal shows will start happening at Metro or some of these other venues, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Places like Metro and Double Door have been very picky about what metal shows/tours they'll book there, and alot of times you also have to deal with the 18+ or 21 & over factor with those clubs. Don't even get me started on trying to park around there....

House of Blues......ugh. Don't get me started on that either.

Pearl Room, for all of it's faults, was spacious, had (mostly) decent sound and lights, and catered to all kinds of metal. After having played in this area for over 20 years, I've learned not to be too quick to dismiss places like this. I can recall being quick to bitch about places like Thirsty Whale, Jackhammers, Fotches, and other clubs that catered to metal bands, because of all the stuff I didn't like about it. Once they were gone and I could look back with hindsight, I realised we were lucky to have these places to play, or to go see amazing underground bands play, or just to hang out with our brethren. And as far as bitching about driving distance....a show is either worth the drive or it isn't. I hear alot of people bitching about having to drive to shows here all the time. After touring Europe and meeting people who drove 18 hours from places like Russia and Estonia and so forth, just to see a few bands they love play.....well sorry but I have less compassion for people who cry to me about how they couldn't come to see us play because it was an hour drive from their house, heh.

Anyhow, the point of my rant is not to be all pro-Pearl Room, but just to point out the simple fact that it's closing means that's one less venue for our bands to be able to perform at, and really in the long run that isn't a good thing. Every time I played PR, I had an issue with something there (usually sound-wise) but that really pales in comparison to the fact that we got to play for alot of people at those shows and it was great exposure for us regardless.

Yes, it's finally official, the pearl room is indeed finished....so sad to see
another cool metal venue bite the dust....thanks to frank, rj, mike, tony,
arthur, joe and the whole staff down there for everything over our last
three years there!

Chris, Rob & John
CRJ Productions

Here is the official "goodbye" and list of show moves:

The Pearl Room - Chicagoland's Premier Concert Venue sadly comes to end

The Pearl Room would like to thank everyone that supported our venue over
the last 6 years. We had a great time producing some of the best concerts in
Chicagoland and giving you all the best possible concert experience we
could. We made a lot of good friends over the years and we will miss each
and every one of you.

Thank you to all the great bands that played our stage and gave us the
opportunity to work with you, we had a blast and will surely miss your
company AND music. Thank you to all the agents and managers that believed
in us and helped make The Pearl Room a reality as a Southside venue, your
trust and commitment will never be forgotten.

Thank you to allour music sponsors and to all those that helped spread the
word of our venue. Special thanks to Scott Davidson at Rebel Radio, Rodney
and the CMF, Jessi Virtusio at the SouthTownStar, our friend FREAK and WRXQ,
John Vernon and Tammy at the IE. Thanx to Dan Locke, Gene Ambo, Stephen
Jensen and Michelle Overson for all the awesome photos you took over the years,
you guys are great.

Thanks to Chris Payne, Brandon Kane and everyone at Q101, many thanks to all of
you for the events we've done. Thanks to Amie and Mike at Ticketmaster and for
all the last minute rush jobs we threw at you, it was much appreciated.

Thanx to Tim with Pitch Black and all The Girls of Metal for spreading the word and
supporting the venue. Thanks to Chris , Rob and John from CRJ Productions and
all they did with Powerfest over the years, it wont stop here.

A huge thanx to all our staff including Tony, Art and the entire Gerard Audio crew
for making the Pearl Room the best sounding venue anywhere. period. Thank you Joe
for lighting the stage and wearing 27 other hats to make this place run, there arent
enough thank yous... Our stage crew, Mike, Adam and Scott for getting us praises
by each and every band that ever came to our venue and for having the best crew
anywhere in the states and beyond, a BIG thank you for all your work. And to our
entire staff of bartenders, servers, barbacks, security and managers for making every
show happen, we are much appreciative to all and we will miss you.

So as we turn the lights off one last time, we have one last thank you to each and
every one of you. Continue to support LIVE music wherever you are and all those
that make it happen, for music is the life blood that unites people across boundaries
like no other. Dont let that light ever go out, thank you all.

Sincerely,

Frank, Jeanne, Mark, RJ, Danielle and Katie

Sep 12 2009 8:00P
Doro / moved to Nite Cap in Chicago / 21+

Sep 13 2009 6:00P
Edguy / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Sep 23 2009 6:00P
Obituary / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Sep 25 2009 7:00P
Stratovarius / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

Sep 26 2009 9:00P
DOWN / moved to Austins in Libertyville

Oct 9 2009 6:00P
Gojira / moved to Logan Square Auditorium in Chicago

Oct 19 2009 8:00P
Satyricon / moved to Double Door in Chicago / 21+

Oct 23 2009 6:00P
Moonspell / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

Oct 27 2009 6:00P
Insane Clown Posse / moved to Congress Theater

Oct 29 2009 8:00P
Powerman 5000 / moved to Penny Road Pub

Nov 13 2009 7:00P
Vader / moved to Pyramid Club in Addison

I am so happy I happened to go online a couple days ago to check the band lineup for last nights Edguy show cause otherwise, I woudl have standing at the doors of the Pearl Room wondering why I couldnt get in! :)

I loved NvmbrsDoom5's post. I agree that everytime a place like this closes, that is one less place to hear great music at. I live 5 minutes from JJ Kelley's in Lansing and while they are still around, they've basically turned their back on metal. Now that the Pearl Room is gone, hard rock and metal is officially dead in the south suburbs.

As previously mentioned, I dont have a problem driving a distance to see a good show. Sometimes I wonder why metal isnt as popular here as it is overseas, and maybe part of that reason is we're spoiled. Music is so accessible to us, from the Internet, TV, radio, and even local venues. I couldnt imagine having those 18 hour drives in Russia, etc.

One last thought was that after seeing Edguy last night at the Logan Square Auditorium, it made me more appreciative of what we lost. Parking actually wasnt bad (but that partially had something to do with there only being 150-200 people at the show). The place is basically a huge, hollow, ball room that makes no concessions for live audio. The place was echoy and overall the sound wasnt great. Tobias made a joke of the lights not moving or blinking or doing anything, but the crowd was great. Edguy put on a hell of a show, and despite last minute changes and a primitive stage setup, the show was still a lot of fun!

Keep metal alive and hopefully we can find some new, good venues to see these shows at! :headbang:

One last thought was that after seeing Edguy last night at the Logan Square Auditorium, it made me more appreciative of what we lost. Parking actually wasnt bad (but that partially had something to do with there only being 150-200 people at the show). The place is basically a huge, hollow, ball room that makes no concessions for live audio. The place was echoy and overall the sound wasnt great. Tobias made a joke of the lights not moving or blinking or doing anything, but the crowd was great. Edguy put on a hell of a show, and despite last minute changes and a primitive stage setup, the show was still a lot of fun!

Seems like your attendance total is spot on as another source gave me an estimation of 150. I've only seen one show at Logan. Parking was a nightmare and the sound was crap. That place seems like the perfect place for a middle school dance or something...not a metal show. I do understand though that it was scramble time to get these shows moved. The venue changes are definitely hurting attendance. Glad you enjoyed the show though! I saw Edguy the last time they played the PR. I didn't feel the need to see them again.