Good condensor mic to mix with SM57 for snare top micage

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey,

People who mic up a snare on top with two mics, what are you using? I usually use an SM57... and I'm thinking of grabbing a condensor microphone to use as a snare top 2 mic. But not sure which one.

Budget isn't massive. Probably about £120.

I love 451 for that. Tape it to the 57 with gaff tape or something. That's probably above your budget but you could check out some used ones and see if it's a possibility.

beyerdynamic opus-88...

another great beyer mic is the m-88. i know it's a dynamic mic but it has an awesome presence for snare and it's not used that often (as far as i know).

Lots of people use a Shure SM98/Beta 98 for this.

I also saw a Green Day show on TV where they had an AKG C414 alongside a 57 on the snare. Sounded really good (but was mixed by CLA so who knows).

Oktava MK-319
Shure KSM32
Shure KSM137
AT PRO37
U67
Josephson E22S

Heil PR20(or sometimes 30) or a Tele M80 has pretty much become the dynamic component most of the time.

The AT PRO37 and KSM137 are sleepers for the cheaper end.

:lol::lol: Found this funny. Not quite on the cheap end, plus I would NEVER let one of our +/- $6,000 vintage 67's anywhere near a drummer. Although, it would sound fantastic! (use them as room mics nearly every session)

On a budget, I would try a rode nt-5, oktava mc-012 maybe.

everytime someone mentioned 451, i was confusing with 421. anyone try a 421/57 combo?? i realize they're both dynamic but i could see the scoopy characteristics of a 421 filling out the spectrum more nicely when coupled with a 57 on snare.

Don't think a NT5 would cover it to be honest. My C391B can handle 142dB SPL with the 10db pad on and clips on really hard snare hits. NT5 handles 143dB SPL so would be about the same really.

I'd be looking for something that can handle about 150dB SPL if you're wanting to close mic snares. AT4040 or AKG C414 would be a good bet I reckon.

Don't think a NT5 would cover it to be honest. My C391B can handle 142dB SPL with the 10db pad on and clips on really hard snare hits. NT5 handles 143dB SPL so would be about the same really.

I'd be looking for something that can handle about 150dB SPL if you're wanting to close mic snares. AT4040 or AKG C414 would be a good bet I reckon.

Interesting... the Beyer Dynamic Opus-88 is marketed as a snare or tom mic, and its SPL is 136db.