Good condensor mic to mix with SM57 for snare top micage

By itself a Neumann KM84 sounds FANTASTIC on snare :) I'll see if I can try it together with an SM57 when I get back to uni.

you could also remove the output step-up transformer (in the 57) and just boost the preamp +10db

*this will increase the bass rersponse (of the 57) resulting in a "fuller/smooth" sound.

oh... some of the engineers i work with tell me that the shure sm137 is a secret weapon for snares (although, i've never tried it).

anyone ever try a c1000? or maybe a cheap pencil condenser to add some nice brightness? i always find myself high-shelving snares (using just a 57) so now i'm super into this idea, although my condenser collection is pretty lame.

anyone ever try a c1000? or maybe a cheap pencil condenser to add some nice brightness? i always find myself high-shelving snares (using just a 57) so now i'm super into this idea, although my condenser collection is pretty lame.

i've never used the c1000 on snare... but i have on hh.

typically, i will have a go with the standard selection (57/421/81/184) for a drumkit... then, if i am unhappy with the "standard" sound of those mics i will gravitate to a more unique selection... (josephson e22s/peluso p28(pair)/gefell um92)

for me: the best combo for snare has been modded 57 (top) / beyerdynamic m88 bottom.