Good Food Within Walking Distance?

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
I know my other thread talked about some eateries that are famous in Atlanta but I have another question. When I went to Progpower 3 all I heard was "Is there a good place to eat around here within minimal walking distance?" or "Is there a better place to eat than that sub/gyros place near the Granada?" I thought it would be cool to find out good places to eat within I would say, a mile, of say the Granada. I know the sub/gyros place is adequate but gets tiresome after a few times. I heard that there is a Chinese Buffett place nearby as well as a good burger place. But the names and locations are unknown to me. So please respond with the name of the place and the location. Also feel free to comment on the suggestions. PLEASE NOTE: due to the lateness of when Progpower lets out I think 99% of these places will be closed so visit earlier in the day.

Not much in walking distance I don't think, but if you have a rental car there are some places within a 5-10 minute drive.

We relied on MARTA when we went to PP3, but last year decided to get a rental car and I am SO glad we did, much more convenient, especially if you want to do something besides sleep all day on saturday.

There is a tasty Mom and Pop sub shop on the same street as the venue and Best western hotel. They have Gyros and other stuff. It is about four blocks from the motel.... opposite direction of the venue. The venue itself also has a restaurant that is decent as well.

Bryant

The_Q said:
cool, i had heard about a chinese place over near the gas station. anyone know?
It's called Chinese Buddha and is a few blocks south of the venue (14th Street) and a few blocks west (Techwood - just across the highway). It's open 24 hours.

Ryan

Zcat,

I have been assured that they will be prepared this year. They had NO clue just how it would go over last time. They ran out of food *four* times during the weekend and had to run to Sam's just to keep going.

Glenn H.

dargormudshark said:
I thought it was called golden buddha. I thought that place sucked their food was cold. Their is a denny's like 10-15 minutes from the venue.
Hmm, I've never had a problem with cold food at Chinese Buddha, but if they get REALLY busy at, say, 3am, service can lag a bit. They usually only have one dude waiting tables, and Jackie Chan -- that's who he looks like, no lie -- can only run so fast. :D I -will- recommend eating there and taking any leftovers with you; their arrangements for pickup/takeout aren't the best and you don't get as much.

BTW, there's an even chance that the Denny's you're referring to is closed and gone. Many of the Denny's here in town closed abruptly during the last year. I think the nearest is now on US41 in Marietta.

We'll probably hit the City Cafe on 10th Street once again. 24 hours, huge and diverse menu, and they give you enough food to last DAYS (in most cases). It's our post-WREKage favorite and is about two minutes away from the studio. \m/

Harvester said:
Zcat,

I have been assured that they will be prepared this year. They had NO clue just how it would go over last time. They ran out of food *four* times during the weekend and had to run to Sam's just to keep going.

Glenn H.
Great. last time , after waiting for 15 minutes, I got sick of waiting went up to watch Mercenary's show. After watching the complete set I went back to the restaurant, they still did not have my food ready :D

There's a Hooters & Hard Rock Cafe right next to each other. It's not walking distance from Earthlink, its a good couple miles, but doable, we've done it.

For those of you staying at the Granada there's a cheat to this. Their sister hotel is 2 blocks from the Hooters/Hard Rock. We were bumped to this hotel near the restaurants for PP3. They have a shuttle that runs between the hotels for FREE. Hop the shuttle, get off at the other hotel, cross the street and boom you're there. Then take the shuttle back for the return trip.

Cab fair is cheap from the earthlink area to there as well. Only a few $$ and cheaper if you cab-pool.

There is a chinese place open 24/7 that delivers. It's not that great, but if you crave chinese at 4am , they're the place.

Central Gyros is the main choice then the venue restaurant . After that I'd suggest the sub joint for a change. If your looking for a really good sit down dinner visit the Thai restaurant its awesome slightly pricey but very clean and great food they're not open very late.

China Buddha is hilarious, we ordered from there to our hotel room which is a good alternative to going out pretty standard Chinese food nothing to rave about. When you get their menu you will chuckle they have the word Vegetarian placed everywhere on the menu, so you can get Vegetarian Pork or Vegetarian beef etc..

shreddy, is it really veggie meats or is that a joke? I ask as I am a vegetarian. I did enjoy the veggi gyro at the gyro shop.

Yeah, I liked the restaurant inside the earthlink except the wait. As long as they are better prepared to handle the rush in between sets, I am all over that place again.:loco: