Good, inexpensive (hopefully) suggestions for a preamp/channel strip.

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
I need a way to prevent vocals from peaking on the way in to Pro Tools... wouldn't hurt to hit them with a little compression on the way in as well... also needs to have phantom power for the mic...

I've always wondered if there is a way to use the limiters I have available as plugins to prevent this while recording... searching has yielded no results...

any other advice might be great as well... like, how do you record vocals without them peaking...

Mainly i just want to be able to set a slight comp and have it not peak/clip so the take is still usable if the singer decides they want to get louder all of a sudden...

I've always wondered if there is a way to use the limiters I have available as plugins to prevent this while recording... searching has yielded no results...

It might not help you or may even be a little OT but reaper allows you to do this. I don't see why pro tools wouldn't.

In reaper you select "record (output)" vs "record (input)" on the track you would like to record the effects wet to.

Pro Tools might use similar terminology for this task. It's something to look into at least.

It might not help you or may even be a little OT but reaper allows you to do this. I don't see why pro tools wouldn't.

In reaper you select "record (output)" vs "record (input)" on the track you would like to record the effects wet to.

Pro Tools might use similar terminology for this task. It's something to look into at least.

That is what i've been looking for... but haven't been successful with wording it properly in google searches... or maybe I just cant do it...

Oh really, you think the DI on there is quite usable? Interesting... I'll have to see if my mate still has the Millennia Origin for sale at the same price as this unit... if not, I might snap it up.