good metal blogs

You might also enjoy the blog "Documents" which has a bunch of entries about black metal. It's pretty interesting for the most part, but I find myself at times disagreeing with this fellow's intellectual approach (I think he intellectualizes certain things that are simpler and more mundane than he wants them to be.) You can view it here: http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com/

The aforementioned blog appears to be inactive at this point, by the way.

Okay, share blogs that you think are good.

Jeezus! You're not wrong, that guy gets a bit carried away. Aarseth and Ethiopia... just a little OTT :lol:

loadown.org
thefinaltragedy.com

both pretty good for downloading mass amounts of music.

Ok, so Noktorn has a blog now with some other guy I've never heard of (Noktorn is one of those people who has a shitload of reviews up on M-A.) I've always enjoyed Noktorn's reviews for the most part, so I'm glad to see he's got a blog going now. Check it: http://trialbyordeal666.blogspot.com/

The guy who runs Poetry of Subculture is a bit overbearing and defines his criticism too much by his own experiences in my opinion, though I agree it's a worthwhile read. I don't read any blogs on a consistent basis though.

I think his whole point with doing that is that he thinks there's too much "pseudo-objectivity" in metal writing. Whether or not he's right, I find his writing refreshing (despite some of his mistakes with English vocabulary and grammar), because there's already more than enough of the alternative out there. Also, I'm not quite sure why you think he's overbearing.

Most of my opinion on the guy was admittedly shaped by reading his posts on the LotFP and Corroseum forums, although he seems to have disappeared from both now anyway. I've only ever read a handful of his blog posts, in truth.

I think it's very hard to find decent reviews/reviewers these days.

Isn't Noktorn the guy who basically writes a hundred reviews daily? I'm always really skeptical of people who whore out reviews like that. Are they really giving the music enough time?

You might be thinking of autothrall, who indeed writes way too fucking much to be of any use. Noktorn has really strange tastes that very often conflict with my own, but I still enjoy reading him due to his unique approach. He's legit imo.

Auto has slowed down as of late. I know the guy personally for several years now. The guy has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of metal, but his reviews since starting the blog have been completely out of control and it seems like he's become a factory in terms of spitting out the things.

I don't think he's bad by any means, and I often find myself nodding in agreement with him; but I always got the impression that he does little more than provide some biographical and historical context and talk about how the album sounds on the surface without delving in too deep beneath the apparent sonic qualities that anyone could detect on their own. I'm reading through some of his recent reviews and some are certainly guilty of that, but there's far more worthwhile content than I remember. I suppose I should start checking his blog out more frequently.

Just dropping by to say thanks to everyone from UM who's checked us out. We're hoping to be in this for the long haul and we appreciate the support.