Good passive bass pickups?

Let me show you guys what I'm talking about.

I started bass tracking for an album today, and as we were setting up and testing out all the different basses we had on the day, we decided to throw the Squier into the mix. Tell me your thoughts, please. All these bass tones are entirely raw, flat, un-EQ'd, even balance between both pickups on all basses. Load them up in your DAW, volume match and compare.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Shoot-outs/Squier Comparison.rar

it seems at times the pickups are about to explode lol
or maybe it's an action to low producing that weird tone: 00:27 it's an example of that.
Maybe it's a very big output or very low action making the strings hitting too much the frets

I don't doubt the finish is vile but I don't think it sounds all that bad.
I was really expecting real sonic poop after your description.
The lows are still there. They just don't stick out. Once processed, it sounds totally usable imo.
I think the schecter was a lot worse.
I doesn't sounds like the bass player is hitting the strings very hard though, is he?

I think the Squier would be the best if it didn't have that annoying clank, but it sounds more like clipping or the attack of a compressor set very high. It has a much more powerful/punchy low end than the others. Maybe it's attributed to new strings, but the Squier is the most present out of them all - the Ibanez seems to have better, deeper low end.

With my distortion chain thrown on there, I like the Squier best - but I use a similar MIM Jazz for most of my tracking.

Nah, it's very soft playing - he's more of a prog/jazz guy, given his style. He's very good with pocketing, but there's no much aggression in his playing. That's why I gave you the other basses too, so you can compare on even ground.

There is no compression/clipping happening there. It's all clean, with plenty of headroom on the mic pre and converters. What you're hearing is coming directly from the guitar itself.

Sounds like a jazz to me :confused: cool growl but why is the bass clipping?

Edit: Why are you comparing DIs of different basses?

Well after spending more time tweaking, I think I like the Ibanez and the Squier better which in not what I expected at all.
I think the Squier would be great for that super aggressive exodus type of sound.
Found the Schecter dull and messy.
The Sadowsky is cool but tend to fart in the lows literally (I'd check the battery if it's an active bass).
I have a BTB myself and I find it a bit too flat vanilla sounding but interesting nonetheless and I also have a fantastic Sandberg (an hybrid precision/music man type of bass) which I highly recommend if you can find one.

The Sadowsky is very farty, definitely. We replaced the battery that same morning. The pickups don't seem to handle the low B very well.

I have the feeling that there is something literally wrong with the electronics or pickups on the Squier. It farts and distorts across the mids way too much.

The Sadowsky is very farty, definitely. We replaced the battery that same morning. The pickups don't seem to handle the low B very well.

I have the feeling that there is something literally wrong with the electronics or pickups on the Squier. It farts and distorts across the mids way too much.

definitely there's some wrong with the electronics it really farts ;)
strange I watched a lot of videos on YT and those sounded better than this.
Maybe ermz you gotta fix those electronics and then throw your verdict at us ;)

Well whatever it was, my tech evidently didn't pick up on it... It was the reason I had the thing looked over in the first place. The pots are all military spec now, and the inside is entirely copper shielded, but obviously there's something more fundamentally wrong.

Is it possible for pickups to fuck up? I've never had a dud one before, but it may be one of the Duncans?

Well whatever it was, my tech evidently didn't pick up on it... It was the reason I had the thing looked over in the first place. The pots are all military spec now, and the inside is entirely copper shielded, but obviously there's something more fundamentally wrong.

Is it possible for pickups to fuck up? I've never had a dud one before, but it may be one of the Duncans?

lowering the height of the pickups?
maybe they're clipping internally?

I already have, on the first page.

I'll lower the pickups a ton tomorrow, and do two different runthroughs. On one I'll pick like a pansy, and on the other one I'll play normally (ie. more fret buzz than note). Hopefully it's just pickup proximity.

If it is, then there's hope. It means if I get a set of stacked EMGs in there, I can get this bass tolerating decent playing without farting. The Ibanez is godlike at doing that, despite its raw tone being too telephonic.

Yeah that sounds like the pickups are jacked up too high to me....

BTW, my rock band's bassist plays a MIM Fender Jazz with Duncan Basslines and it sounds like eargasm. YMMV in the Squire, though...

Not familiar with the pups in your bass but if they have alnico then it's a possibility the pup may have been degaussed some

Alnico intrinsic coercivity is at a level where leaving it too close to, as an example, bigger neo magnets in active monitors could mess them up ... if they're in polar opposition. Of course that's not a very likely scenario but the point is it doesn't take much of a charge from a permanent magnet (ceramic, neo, etc) to fuck them up

Yeah, I'd say it sounds like the pups are too high up as well. The bass does have a nice high-end, tho.