Good plugins for giving aggression to Screams

infoworx

New Metal Member
May 21, 2010
Title is self explanatory :p What would you suggest to give a bit of a nice touch to scream vocals?

Thanks in advance!

Try plugging a hot soldering iron into the singers arse.

In all honesty, making a weak scream sound good is a mission. If you've got a good preamp sometimes you can beef them up by redlining the gain during tracking.

3018703315_2304515236_o.jpg

Anything that can add saturation, like blockfish or stillwell rocket. But telling the screamer to not be a pussy is much better.

In my experience no plugins come close to the agressiveness of a good OTB compressor when processing scream vocals, that being said, I havn't tried a million ones of either of them.

At least, the Neve 5043 kicks some serious ass for this application compared to at least my plugins I've used(which work rather good... if you havn't used the Neve yet)

Best start with putting agression in screams is having a good vocalist with a pair of functioning BALLS.

Then tell him "think angry t-rex crossed with a rabid wolf"
anything less is fucking unacceptable. seriously.

and aside from that? emotion. push vocalists to give an emotional performance, ask them what their lyrics make them feel, try and do anything to bring that emotion out in their performance because that's what sells it. i'll take a shitty vocalist with a heartfelt, passionate, emotional performance over perfection. i mean look at converge, you cant make out a word jacob bannon says but it doesnt fucking matter, because you FEEL it, you KNOW he means it. no amount of saturation, distortion or processing in general can replace that.