Good rock bands from..........

Some have tried to get a broader audience, but I guess they lost fandom in France.
ADX did lose fandom with the "Weird Visions" record (their last before the split), and to me it's their weakest record. Horrible accent, watered-down lyrics, plus a loss of personality. Fortunately it still had great riffing!

KILLERS took a different approach when they did an English version of the entire "Mauvaises Graines" record, called "Killing Games". The cool thing is that lyrics are not simply translated to English on that album, they're completely rewritten with a different meaning sometimes. But they've done that only once.

On a side note, I don't like those English versions of SORTILEGE. It just sounds not right, a big part of the original charm is lost...

I have an 1999 album called Reaching the Golden Gates by this French power/prog band Dream Child, which is actually not half bad. If I had to draw some comparisons stylistically I'd say it's somewhere around early Alder-era FW and early Tad Morose with this darkish vibe.

According to Metal-Archives they've disbanded years ago and the guitar player Dominic Leurquin's been involved with Rhapsody and Luca Turilli's solo efforts later on.
Gérard Fois (Dream Child's singer) is still involved in the scene, he's now fronting ETERNAL FLIGHT which is a little bit more progressive than Dream Child. .: ETERNAL FLIGHT :.

As for Dominique Leurquin he's been Rhapsody's touring guitarist since their first tour.

On a side note, I don't like those English versions of SORTILEGE. It just sounds not right, a big part of the original charm is lost...

Agre but nevertheless Zouille is such a great (and underrated) singer that he pull them very good. Still I enjoy the original in French more :cool:

NP: Crescent Shield - 'Slaves To The Metal Horde'

France has a good Black Metal scene.

Blut aus Nord
Deathspell Omega
Belenos
Pest Noire
Mutiilation

Those are off the top of myt head but there are more.

Fang! Thank you for a very entertaining read for my lunchtime!

PHENIX : Maiden meets Manowar meets early Fates Warning, with a talented singer to boot. Good and promising band.

Sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check them out.

KRAGENS : a mix of modern thrash metal and old school influences. I don't know how to describe them better than that, as they draw influences from Judas Priest, Arch Enemy, Queensrÿche, Soilwork and many more.

Also sounds quite interesting.

Thanks again Fang. I'll prolly be checking this thread out a bit more in the next few days.

PHENIX : Maiden meets Manowar meets early Fates Warning, with a talented singer to boot. Good and promising band.

Sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check them out.
Let me do it for you :)

-> http://redsinn.free.fr/musique/babylon_exerpt.mp3
-> http://redsinn.free.fr/musique/endless2_exerpt.mp3
-> http://redsinn.free.fr/musique/time_exerpt.mp3

KRAGENS : a mix of modern thrash metal and old school influences. I don't know how to describe them better than that, as they draw influences from Judas Priest, Arch Enemy, Queensrÿche, Soilwork, Pantera, Slayer and many more.

Also sounds quite interesting.
There you go :D

-> http://www.kragens.com/sons/Rise%20up Your Fist to Fight.mp3
-> http://www.kragens.com/sons/kragens_seeds_of_pain.mp3

Thanks again Fang. I'll prolly be checking this thread out a bit more in the next few days.
You're welcome :)
Very coincidently, the 2 bands you quoted are maybe the ones I know the most in the list! (They both played in an annual festival I was part of, Phenix' singer is an old buddy of mine and I host Kragens message board...)

Thanks for the info, Fangface. :)

I appreciate very much French metal, although it's not the easiest thing to find the classic albums of the most known bands.

np: ADX - Caligula :kickass:

I have heard Manigance. They sing in french so I don't understand a word they say, but they are a very good melodic/prog band. The French are not "forgotten" by all the non-French metal bands though. Vanden Plas, who are of course a German band, rerecorded "How Many Tears" in a French version titled "Combien De Larmes" for their French fans. It is a very beautiful song and I actually prefer it to ther original.

Bryant

I have heard Manigance. They sing in french so I don't understand a word they say, but they are a very good melodic/prog band. The French are not "forgotten" by all the non-French metal bands though. Vanden Plas, who are of course a German band, rerecorded "How Many Tears" in a French version titled "Combien De Larmes" for their French fans. It is a very beautiful song and I actually prefer it to ther original.

Bryant
Yeah they also did a cover of "Des Hauts, Des Bas" of Swiss songwriter Stephan Eicher on the AcCult EP, Andy Kuntz is a big fan :)
It's featured live on an "Angra & friends" bootleg I own, when they did a special gig of cover songs : Angra - live in Paris, France, 1998 (Carolina IV - Baptism of Fire)

Let me do it for you :)

There you go :D

Fang! You kick ass! In fact, you kick so much ass that they fly planeloads of ass into France daily, just so you can kick it! :lol:

Very coincidently, the 2 bands you quoted are maybe the ones I know the most in the list! (They both played in an annual festival I was part of, Phenix' singer is an old buddy of mine and I host Kragens message board...)

Wow! That's pretty cool. I must have sensed it. :)

On the Beautiful Sin album also is are 2 versions of one song; This is not the Original dream - and in French: Ce n'est pas le rêve original. Great song, great album !!

Mesmerize did a cover of D'Auillers (Sortilege) in French on their "Vultures Paradise" MCD and came out really good IMO.

Fang! You kick ass! In fact, you kick so much ass that they fly planeloads of ass into France daily, just so you can kick it! :lol:
haha, cross the pond and be my special guest! :)

Carnut said:
On the Beautiful Sin album also is are 2 versions of one song; This is not the Original dream - and in French: Ce n'est pas le rêve original. Great song, great album !!
That's because their female singer is Belgian, right? Or more precisely Walloon :)

haha, cross the pond and be my special guest! :)

That's because their female singer is Belgian, right? Or more precisely Walloon :)

Walloon isn't Belgian any more , didn't you see the news?? we seperated a week or so ago !! Best TV joke in decades (in the news in the French speaking part of Belgian was said Flanders (Dutch Speaking ) declared itselve independent and the king left the country !!! Even ABC in America broadcasted the news !!
Last weekend I was at a festival in the Wallonies and a Flemish band even declared the stage independent !!!

As for Beautiful Sin, I really like the band. The singer being Belgian doesn't really influence me liking them. there's also a Helloween guy there and that's a band I never got into, so I could as well hate them for that.... Just a very good CD I think. I am very careful to promote Belgian bands, to be honoust most of them sound like shit. I did discover Karma Depth however last weekend. A superb progmetal band in the vein of Dream Theater. They have no new recorded material yet but I'm almost sure they will become popular if they can hold this line-up . All superb musicians and a world class guitar player !!

Walloon isn't Belgian any more , didn't you see the news?? we seperated a week or so ago !! Best TV joke in decades (in the news in the French speaking part of Belgian was said Flanders (Dutch Speaking ) declared itselve independent and the king left the country !!! Even ABC in America broadcasted the news !!
Last weekend I was at a festival in the Wallonies and a Flemish band even declared the stage independent !!!
I did read about it yeah, it must have been troubling!

As for Beautiful Sin, I really like the band. The singer being Belgian doesn't really influence me liking them. there's also a Helloween guy there and that's a band I never got into, so I could as well hate them for that.... Just a very good CD I think.
I second that :)