GoP Live ?

zortz

Sep 8, 2005
Santa Clara, CA USA
I was just listening to GoP again and was struck by the layering of electric and acoustic guitars. To my admittedly untrained ears (I'm not sound engineer or musician), it sounds like both Peter and Mikael are playing electric guitar at the same time, with complex acoustic guitar in the background. There are also a lot of quick transitions from electric to acoustic and back.

I'm wondering if this is why they havn't played GoP live ? Perhaps they havn't figured out a way to play it live and still have it sound good without having a third guitarist or recording/sample accompanying ? I'm sure they could find a way to play it live regardless, but maybe it loses too much ? I'm sure there are scores of example Opeth songs which have similarly complex scoring but which are still played live. But maybe they still sound OK and GoP doesn't ?

Just a theory. One of 1000 theories as to why it's not on the set list. :) The actual reason is probably far simpler.

I'm sure the 'experts' on here will set me straight. :dopey:

there are a few opeth songs where they layer an acoustic guitar underneath the two electrics

usually when they play those songs live they leave out the acoustic

Yeah, but sometimes they are using some kind of accoustic-enhancer-effects, so they can get acoustic-soundalikes from their electric guitars, like on "The Drapery Falls".

I think "Ghost Of Perdition" is playable in a live situation, and I still hope that they might have used their day-off to rehearse it, so I can enjoy it next Saturday at the Hamburg-gig. But being realistic I think they're going to play the same set as already seen in this forum on the posts about the other concerts.

I think their not playing it because the drummer hasnt learnt it yet. It must be hard to learn a 2 hour set with a band that you dont usually play with.

maneatingbrick said:
I think their not playing it because the drummer hasnt learnt it yet. It must be hard to learn a 2 hour set with a band that you dont usually play with.

Yeh. I was actually thinking that after I posted. Prob havn't rehearsed it w/ the stunt drummer yet.

hahaha
he is still in the band, isn't he?

"I think their not playing it because the drummer hasnt learnt it yet. It must be hard to learn a 2 hour set with a band that you dont usually play with."

GOP is awsome. But the fact that "When" is one of the proposed songs on the set-list is like a dream come true!

I've been wanting to hear that song in a live setting for ages now damn it.

annt said:
Most of the songs on Blackwater Park have something like 12 guitars at the same time...

I don't doubt it. But most likely layered on top of each other playing the same thing for a thicker sound.

I doubt they were playing different riffs/melodies at the same time. It's different if they're doing that, especially if they're different instruments (electric mixed w/ acoustic playing different melodies simultaneously).

zortz said:
I don't doubt it. But most likely layered on top of each other playing the same thing for a thicker sound.

I doubt they were playing different riffs/melodies at the same time. It's different if they're doing that, especially if they're different instruments (electric mixed w/ acoustic playing different melodies simultaneously).

Not just 'layered' as in doubled tracks, where there are numerous guitars playing the same thing. There are numerous sections where there are multiple melodies on multiple electrics, plus some acoustic. Take Bleak, near the end around 6:00 - 7:20 for example, before they go back into the 'chorus'. There's quite a bit going on there. Lots of stuff on Still Life has multiple different guitar tracks. Listen real closely at BWP and SL and then just say, "Wow"