The transition between electric and acoustic live

Kenneth R. said:
a lot of bands do this, including Dream Theater etc...
Iced Earth did that when I saw them.

Does Opeth use an acoustic simulator for those acoustic parts? I know the GT-8 has that (doesn't it have everything)? I just won a bid on eBay for the GT-6 ($262.50) :headbang:

Coolest dual instrument playing I ever saw: Mike Kenealy playing guitar and keyboard lines simultaneously in harmony (all hammer on's with his left hand). Un-fucking-believable.

Not that anyone probably cares, but Roland Kirk used to play multiple wind instruments simultaneously. Crazy shit.

^ I care. What instruments? The body only has 4 wind making orifices and one isn't very reliable...

btw, I play harmonica and keyboard simultaneouslike.

Yeah. You're the one who likes Bartok, too, huh?

I stand corrected. It's three instruments. From the Verve website:

At sixteen he dreamed he was playing three instruments at once, and the next day went to a music shop and tried out all the reed instruments. He was taken to the basement to be shown "the scraps", and found two archaic saxophones which had been used in turn-of-the-century Spanish military bands, the stritch and the manzello; the first is a kind of straight alto sax, and the second looks a little like an alto, but sounds more like a soprano. Kirk took these and worked out a way of playing them simultaneously with the tenor sax, producing three-part harmonyby trick fingering. As there were often slight tuning discrepancies between the three instruments, the resulting sound could be harsh, almost with the characteristic of certain ethnic instruments, and this gave Kirk's music an added robustness.

Totally insane.

Bela Bartok??... *goes to napster.
...yes I now like Bela Bartok. Thanks again.
math+folk+classical+dissonate=good.

edit - ok, thats the last time I derail a thread.

He changes it on Closure in Lamentations. It's still their best live song.

Woohoo, I just bought the pedal Opeth uses. I was actually having a hard time choosing between the Boss GT-6 and the Korg AX3000G, but I ended up getting the GT-6 since I got a good deal on eBay. Anyway, is Opeth endorsed by Boss? Cause if they are, I'm sure they will be switching to the newer GT-8 if they haven't already.

Just how good is the GT8? I got a GNX2, and I find that it is pretty awesome. Does all I want it to.

The Baying Of The Leper said:
So a question for you GT-6 and GT-8 users, what does the acoustic simulator sound like? I'm really after a pedal with a good acoustic sound in it. Mighty handy for some songs. especially Opeth songs :D

Thing is, simulators actually just sound shit generally. It tends to be too sharp at high volumes when you use the acoustic simulator. Its pretty useless as far as an equivilant to an acoustic guitar goes. The best advice i can give, if you want something that really does a good job of sounding like one, get an fx pedal with a valve in it.

affinityband said:
if you want something that really does a good job of sounding like one, get an fx pedal with a valve in it.

Is that a common thing? what effects pedals do you know of that use valves? I do recall playing on a zoom 505 II that actually had an impressive acoustic sound, however I wasn't impressed with the distortion sounds so it didn't work for me as an all-rounded pedal (which is probably something nearly impossible to find).

Do they make just an acoustic simulating stompbox??