What does this band sound like live?

Most logical thing to do is get the roundhouse tapes. I'm sure you could find some youtube footage but I;m sure it'll sound like shit because of youtube's awesome*cough qaulity audio/video. They really are a joy to see live especially since Mikael can actually sing exceptioanlly well live and rip your face off with his roars as he displays his modest guitartastic prowess. Their live set-up is relatively simple - I'm sure Per fills in a bunch of melodies on the keyboard to fill in for missing parts on some of their older material. Truly an epic live band. Mikael is my theoretical jeebus.

It sounds like drugs. And I don't say that often.
If you're in the right crowd and atmosphere, you will transcend your body.

It sounds like a band, playing slightly stripped-down versions of your favorite songs.

The actual sound quality differs between venues (and which sound guy is working that night).

Mike's vocals and crowd interaction are great....Per's cheesy keyboard tones are usually too loud...it depends on where you're standing as to whether you'll be able to hear Mike/Frederik clearly....and Axe tends to speed up the tempo on many parts, which in turn makes everyone else rush, and sound sloppier.

That said, though, i still haven't seen a live metal act that even comes close. Porcupine Tree is about the only band i've seen that was close to recreating the atmosphere present in the album, with every sound and effect accounted for.

Opeth work surpirisingly well in a live situation, considering all the layering on disc. I was very much blown away the first time I saw them back 'round deliverance, and I still am everytime I see them (coming to the 14th now, almost bragable). I heard from some friends that they were actually not really liveready around blackwater park when they "reappeared" as a live act, but I think they cought unto it fast after some major touring and getting to know the crew. I think the current lineup is their best live-lineup to date.

BriGreentea...I see you're in Ft Worth. Opeth is coming to the Dallas House of Blues on Oct 15th. Spend 25 bucks and come see them for yourself. I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

I took your advise and I'm going with my wife next Wednesday! It was a debate though. I've always wanted to go to the House of Blues, heard it's a nice venue. Was going to see King Diamond last May but believe they canceled.
The debate though ran next Thursday when Virgin Black was coming to Fort Worth opening for Amorphis. I saw Virgin Black last year in a God forsaken place I refuse to mention and was shocked they returned back to the States.
I've really been addicted to Opeth last month, so I went with my gut and I am going to see them. The fact they are closing did it for me so they are not like so many bands I love opening for a medicore/lousy band that is closing and only playing for 30 minutes.

I must say though...straight up F--- Ticketmaster for charging 8 dollars for each ticket in service charges. What a joke. Now I know why Eddie Vedder hates them so much. Sorry for the rant. I can't wait to see them, this should be an awesome show!

i havent attended to any opeth show, but based on the lamentations dvd , It could be said that power-dvd is way better than wmp.

:rofl:

no seriously, watch some bootlegs, the answer lies within.

I took your advise and I'm going with my wife next Wednesday! It was a debate though. I've always wanted to go to the House of Blues, heard it's a nice venue. Was going to see King Diamond last May but believe they canceled.
The debate though ran next Thursday when Virgin Black was coming to Fort Worth opening for Amorphis. I saw Virgin Black last year in a God forsaken place I refuse to mention and was shocked they returned back to the States.
I've really been addicted to Opeth last month, so I went with my gut and I am going to see them. The fact they are closing did it for me so they are not like so many bands I love opening for a medicore/lousy band that is closing and only playing for 30 minutes.

Very cool!!! I'm really excited because this will be the first time for me to see Opeth live as well. But based on the Lamentations DVD and the Roundhouse Tapes...I have a feeling that this is going to be one hell of a great concert. :headbang:

I'm somewhat new to Opeth. I only really knew of them long ago from the singer that did Katatonia's Brave Murder Day album so then found out about Opeth. I got Damnation, which at the time wasn't my cup of tea...after all I thought they were a metal band? So, I really started out on the wrong album and after listening to Blackwater Park I have a greater appreciation for Damnation now.

I was wondering though, how does this band work only having two guitars? With all the acoustic passages, how would playing electric guitars the whole time work? I've heard a few great bands in the studio that sound great and doesn't sound well live just because they are not able to play everything from the studio. With this band since the acoustic guitar is such a big deal, is that not played live at all?

It is an experience you will tell your grandkids about..... and they are better live than on cd. Go comfortably numb, and that will make the show even better. It is a wall of sound. Kudos to the sound guy in Grand Rapids at the Orbit Room.

Mix

Hearing Opeth live is much better than hearing them on their albums.

And if you're lucky and Mike is in a good mood you might witness some Akerfeldt jokes too.

I'll be seeing them next month.

they sond like the singing definition of brutal death mixed with splendered "peasful" songs. basicly any song live, brutal or light or both, will create chills, rage, and ease.

Wow, what a concert that was. That was one hell of a show. They sounded and played terrific. Akerfeldt was quite amusing in between the songs talking about his new ( and awesome )Paul Reed Smith guitar. I'm still in the process of getting all the albums so I don't know all the songs, still have a few albums to go. In fact, I just got Still Life that day of the concert. So far though, I think Watershed is easily the best album and those songs sounded so amazing live. I can't believe they played Lotus Eater. That song sounded so amazing live. I was also hoping they would play one of the mellow songs off Damnation but I knew they wouldn't. But they did! He asked if it was ok for a ballad. Why ask? Everyone wanted it and they played Hope Leaves and I was in awe. When they started off they played Heir Apparent and before everyone was shouting Opeth's name and when they played the first few notes the crowd was intense. House of Blues, the venue was amazing (even though parking was a pain). I also thought High on Fire was intense. I never seen someone play a 12 string electric like that...and caught some of the first band Baroness I think they were and was freakin heavy. I need to check both of those bands out.
Anyways, awesome concert.