newbie questions...

jazzhead

New Metal Member
Feb 14, 2004
I just recently discovered Opeth and am going to the Woosta show on the 28th. I've only heard Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and a little of Damnation so far. I must say I'm completely blown away by the musicianship and songwriting of this band, and am wondering how they pull it all off live with only 4 guys. How do they handle the acoustic guitar stuff live? Do they play the parts on electric or keep an acoustic nearby? Are they doing anything from Damnation on the current tour? Forgive me for not knowing the title at the moment, but the 2nd track from Blackwater Park is one of the most amazing things I've heard in a long time! Anyone else going to the Palladium show? Any live tapes floating around out there?

They use the pedal to switch to acoustic when needed. It sounds a lot more accurate than one would think. On songs that are overwhelmingly acoustic they don't bother with this trick and use an actual acoustic.

They're playing the first two songs off of Damnation (the best two, in my opinion, I'm glad they chose those two). The actual setlist is around this board somewhere... I think about 6 of the songs they're playing are on those 3 albums you have. Make sure you've memorized "Demon of the Fall" since that's their finale. You don't want to be left out! :)

You should look into buying their DVD that's coming out later this month if you want a live tape. "Lamentations" its called.

The title of the song your talking about is 'Bleak' and everyone seems to be quite a big fan of it... personaly I fucking hate it.

Forget Lamentations, you need to pick yourself up a copy of Morningrise to truly appreciate this bands work.

I'd reckon Bleak's one of their better tracks.

Morningrise used to be my favourite Opeth album although the uncreative drumming and excessive double kick eventually gave me the shits. Love the riffs though.

since we're on the topic on noob questions- what's the track that first plays at the beginning of the documentary on lamentations?

jazzhead said:
I just recently discovered Opeth and am going to the Woosta show on the 28th. I've only heard Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and a little of Damnation so far.

BUY "STILL LIFE" IMMEDIATELY