What does this band sound like live?

BriGreentea

Oct 6, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I'm somewhat new to Opeth. I only really knew of them long ago from the singer that did Katatonia's Brave Murder Day album so then found out about Opeth. I got Damnation, which at the time wasn't my cup of tea...after all I thought they were a metal band? So, I really started out on the wrong album and after listening to Blackwater Park I have a greater appreciation for Damnation now.

I was wondering though, how does this band work only having two guitars? With all the acoustic passages, how would playing electric guitars the whole time work? I've heard a few great bands in the studio that sound great and doesn't sound well live just because they are not able to play everything from the studio. With this band since the acoustic guitar is such a big deal, is that not played live at all?

They sound just like the CD except better. They just switch to the clean channel with the electric guitar. I'm sure Mike has an acoustic immitator thing too.

they are fantastic live, trust me. They pull off the mellow/acoustic sections awesomely live, but it is generally a bit more intense than on the albums. Some of the subtleties are lost live, but the intensity,mood and atmosphere of hearing it live more than make up for it.

I'm somewhat new to Opeth. I only really knew of them long ago from the singer that did Katatonia's Brave Murder Day album so then found out about Opeth. I got Damnation, which at the time wasn't my cup of tea...after all I thought they were a metal band? So, I really started out on the wrong album and after listening to Blackwater Park I have a greater appreciation for Damnation now.

I was wondering though, how does this band work only having two guitars? With all the acoustic passages, how would playing electric guitars the whole time work? I've heard a few great bands in the studio that sound great and doesn't sound well live just because they are not able to play everything from the studio. With this band since the acoustic guitar is such a big deal, is that not played live at all?

opeth is easily one of the best live bands i have heard. get the roundhouse tapes dvd, it's out for preorder right now:
http://www.opeth.com/

cheers!

Trust me.....I saw them alive on 20th June 2008...as the first note of Master's Apprentices kicked in.....I don't know what happened after that...fucking great live song I love it abfuckingsolutely fantastic song...

I've seen them 4 times so far. Every concert was fucking amazing, probably the best live band I've heard. Even the first time I saw them at Sounds of the underground in Jersey(which sucked overall) was really good.

Some songs (Deliverance especially, the Drapery Falls, the Baying of the Hounds) sounds much better live, at least for me. But as Mikael records vocals one line from two lines and then re-record the remaining line onto the first, he has to sing fast those parts. Although it is different, not necessarily better but a new taste after all.
On some songs he gets his acoustic guitar and plays but transitions on most songs are masterfully done. No problem there.

Overall they show very good performance while playing but the concert is not as alive as some other groups (for example In Flames just rocks live) but if you get an awesome taste for mere listening. Headbanging and tearing yourself apart is not very Opethic anyways :p

They're an incredible live band, especially when it comes to the frontman keeping the crowd entertained (Mike tells the most bone-dry jokes that are absolutely hilarious) and the performance of the songs, though when it comes to actual performance, you know, stuff like dynamics on stage, having the crowd involved in the songs etc, I enjoyed Therion's show much better.

They're a good live band. Mike's got great crowd interaction, very funny dude. Don't expect Iron Maiden or anything, jumping over the stacks and whatnot, but they were every bit what I hoped them to be, live. As someone else said, some of the vocals get altered rhythmically so he can fit all the lyrics in, which is understandable, even though I wish he didn't have to do it. Some stuff is amazing the way they pull it off live, like the transition from the soft, ambient part back into the heavy part in 'Blackwater Park'. That gave me goosebumps like crazy.

Almost hypnotic in goodness. You'll not be disappointed. It translates perfectly from cd to live, and with an added greatness. Only thing is.... you don't want the talking between songs to happen, as it's so good.