Goreripper the Clairvoyant

imagine for a minute 20,000 tickets sold to the BDO in sydney.....and only 5000 people watch the whole day
the other 15,000 come in 20 minutes before maidens set!

Thats what i mean..........how many maiden fans would sit out the whole day to see them or just go about an hr before they came on?
Im a wait till they go on guy. If BCE is they base of what the BDO is showcasing, I aint spending a whole day listening to that

why on earth would maiden want to play the bdo?

or maiden fans want them to play the bdo?

i don't get it.

if i see maiden, i want to see them in a venue packed out with maiden fans. With support from a suitable band.
Not have to pay to sit through a bunch of mainstream stuff that i have no interest in and be around normals all day.

besides i'm certain i have read a comment from Rod saying that they have no interest in doing it.

i just can't see any good thing about the idea, apart from maybe being able to say "i told you so" to people who didnt' already know what an awesome band this is.

Maiden would play it if they were offered enough money; same reason they played Ozzfest. They didn't need to play Ozzfest - they could easily have done their own tour - but they wouldn't have made the profit on it. However, I doubt they would play it - even with the money offer - unless they had a say in the line-up for at least a couple of the spots. Dunno.

Maiden would play it if they were offered enough money; same reason they played Ozzfest. They didn't need to play Ozzfest - they could easily have done their own tour - but they wouldn't have made the profit on it. However, I doubt they would play it - even with the money offer - unless they had a say in the line-up for at least a couple of the spots. Dunno.

The other reason Maiden did the Ozzfest tour was they thought it would save time and they had lots of bands beg them to play it too.
Bet they wish that they didn't after what happened with Sharon and that is supposedly why they won't do such festivals again.

Not great loss really.

At least with Rock In Rio, they were voted by the fans to headline it. That at least counts for something.

A BDO ticket is cheaper than floor tickets to a Maiden show, why not rock up a couple of hours before they go on and sit through one or two bands you aren't interested in (the same as you might with supports at their own show...) before they come on? You don't have to "sit through shit bands all day" to go and see Maiden.

They would possibly be interested in doing it as it will be playing to a greater number of people with the chance of playing to a wider audience that isn't just their own fanbase of people willing to shell out any amount to see them. Surely there is people out there that would enjoy Maiden live, not go to their own show but catch them at the BDO.

Just go to the BDO and watch the pussy all day if you don't want to watch the bands. Or you could try not being such a tight arse and give them a chance.

I'd be struggling to describe about 80% or more of the regular BDO line-up as "mainstream" to be honest, just as I'd be hard up trying to describe your average TOOL, Bjork or Arcade Fire fan as "normal", unless mainstream = anything that's not metal and normal = anyone who doesn't listen to metal and nothing else/very little else. If that's the case, then I'm a mainstream normal person. As all of you know.

Wiki has an entire page that lists every BDO line-up and I challenge anyone to find more than a handful of acts that could be comfortably described as "mainstream"; in fact Iron Maiden would be more mainstream than most of the bands to have played the Big Day Out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Day_Out_lineups_by_year#2008

I'm not even sure Iron Maiden would do the BDO myself. If they did it would mean that many of the people who went this time would miss out because BDO sells out in minutes regardless of who's playing. This is what I find disheartening about it; it's no longer an event for the indie/alternative music crowd who are generally accepting of almost anything that isn't mainstream and is now getting clogged up with people who are mainstream and who are going along because it's the thing to go to, hanging out in the bar all day and getting shitfaced and then starting trouble in the mosh trying to get to the front to see the headliners and the two or three other bands they heard on the radio once.

Thing is, as I've mentioned previously, Bruce said at the Brisbane show that it would be Paul Dainty bringing them back. Does Paul Dainty have any involvement in the BDO? If not, do individual promoters have anything to do with providing any acts for the BDO?

No I don't believe so. The BDO is run by Lees and West, but it's possible they could negotiate with Dainty (or anyone else) with regards to certain bands if they were interested in putting them on the bill. They also like to include a majorly influential artist on every line-up if possible, which is why you will see people like Billy Bragg, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, New Order etc. on there. Iron Maiden influenced a lot of kids that grew up in the 80s and went onto play in bands, plus they just did a bunch of sold out shows, but it depends on what sort of a feel they get. How much of a draw would Maiden actually be? It's pretty likely they wouldn't do it unless they headlined, and if there's a question about their "relevance" to a Big Day Out audience then they wouldn't be offered that.

On the subject of the BDO itself, it was always an awesome day whenever I went along. The last time I actually went to one was in 99, and that was mainly because a chick I wanted to nail was going and asked if I was going too, and I said "Yes" and then went and bought a ticket. I had almost zero interest in any of the bands except Cryogenic and Bodyjar whom I could have seen any weekend of the year, but I ended up having an awesome time. Seriously, if you like music, the Big Day Out is a killer event. Of all the ones I went to, the only band I hated was Shonen Knife (because they were just shit) and even some other bands I wasn't that into I enjoyed watching.

I used to really enjoy it, but that flipping D barrier killed it for me last time I went, in 2003. :( I don't particularly like watching bands from miles away.